Ron Paul wins presidential straw poll at CPAC

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 1:28 pm

xenon13 wrote:
At least he is against war and the drug war and all of that.

Ron Paul is also against abortion. That so-called libertarian wants to make women the brood-mares of the human race.

ruveyn

LeonKrahe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2010, 11:50 pm

ruveyn wrote:
xenon13 wrote:
At least he is against war and the drug war and all of that.

Ron Paul is also against abortion. That so-called libertarian wants to make women the brood-mares of the human race.

ruveyn

Yes, but he also considers abortion to be a State issue, not something the Federal Government should be banning. He's at least that consistent enough to not demand the maximum use of Government power in order to prohibit things he personally finds objectionable.

Unorthodox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2010, 12:04 am

I'd be willing to eat the abortion issue in light of all the other positives a Ron Paul candidacy would bring, I'm never going to get a perfect candidate, so I have to pick and choose my dealbreaker issues.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 8:46 am

LeonKrahe wrote:

Yes, but he also considers abortion to be a State issue, not something the Federal Government should be banning. He's at least that consistent enough to not demand the maximum use of Government power in order to prohibit things he personally finds objectionable.

Oh Goody! Local thugs will compel women to bear young, rather than Federal thugs. I am totally underwhelmed by your thinking on the matter.

ruveyn

roche12
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Feb 2010, 1:16 am

While his views on war and drugs would be a blessing. His economic policy is basically insane, and the conspiracy theories... well yeah.

After king deregulation Alan Greenspan admitted he was wrong on regulation, you would think people would stop with this crazy economy will control itself idea... sadly no. This is a group of people that said we don't need to regulate or watch for fraud, the market will check itself. That is like saying we don't need refs in football because the cheaters will check themselves. Ron Paul takes the extreme view on regulations.

roche12

26 Feb 2010, 1:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
LeonKrahe wrote:

Oh Goody! Local thugs will compel women to bear young, rather than Federal thugs. I am totally underwhelmed by your thinking on the matter.

ruveyn

I think you missed the point. Ron Paul is against abortion but doesn't think the federal government should be making laws on it because it isn't their issue. He is wrong but that is besides the point, at least he actually does what he says, which is more than can be said about most politicians.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 1:41 am

roche12 wrote:
While his views on war and drugs would be a blessing. His economic policy is basically insane, and the conspiracy theories... well yeah.

I don't know if it's "crazy." He is a big fan of the Austrian school of economic thought, which is definitely heterodox but still somewhat well-respected, and has produced a number of very highly-regarded thinkers. Certainly he is better than the typical Republican, with a miscellaneous grab bag of monetarist, supply-side, and protectionist ideas mixed into a senseless mish-mash.

As far as I can tell, it is more Ron Paul supporters who are into conspiracy theories than Ron Paul himself. I'm not entirely certain if that's true, though.

Quote:
After king deregulation Alan Greenspan admitted he was wrong on regulation, you would think people would stop with this crazy economy will control itself idea... sadly no. This is a group of people that said we don't need to regulate or watch for fraud, the market will check itself. That is like saying we don't need refs in football because the cheaters will check themselves. Ron Paul takes the extreme view on regulations.

Paul and Greenspan are very, very different on economic views... I mean, Paul advocates completely replacing our current monetary system with a totally different one backed by gold and he wants to abolish the Fed, whereas Greenspan, as a Fed chairman, supported our current fiat currency system.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 1:46 am

roche12 wrote:
He is wrong but that is besides the point, at least he actually does what he says, which is more than can be said about most politicians.

And this answers Delirium's question: people still care about Ron Paul because they perceive him as being an honest politician who is not a corporate sell-out and sticks to his principles. Most people would disagree with Paul's views on a lot of issues, but at the very least they would respect him as a man of integrity.

roche12

26 Feb 2010, 2:11 am

Orwell wrote:
roche12 wrote:

I don't know if it's "crazy." He is a big fan of the Austrian school of economic thought, which is definitely heterodox but still somewhat well-respected, and has produced a number of very highly-regarded thinkers. Certainly he is better than the typical Republican, with a miscellaneous grab bag of monetarist, supply-side, and protectionist ideas mixed into a senseless mish-mash.

As far as I can tell, it is more Ron Paul supporters who are into conspiracy theories than Ron Paul himself. I'm not entirely certain if that's true, though.

Quote:

Paul and Greenspan are very, very different on economic views... I mean, Paul advocates completely replacing our current monetary system with a totally different one backed by gold and he wants to abolish the Fed, whereas Greenspan, as a Fed chairman, supported our current fiat currency system.

I have listened to him a lot and he always seems very anti-anything that could impede "the free market". He blames regulation for the banks doing things there where not regulated and nearly collapsing the entire worlds economy. Basically his logic is that there is to much regulation and that is why it happened. This is of course ignoring the complete lack of things like this happening for the 30ish years there was regulations put in place to prevent it from ever happening and them magically reappearing as soon as the regulations where removed.

For example he is for "fair" tax which anyone who understands economics can see rather quickly is far from fair.

On health care, straight from his site. Republican BS GO!

But health care nationalization in European countries resulted in longer waiting periods, severe lack of choice, deterioration of health care quality, prohibition of alternative health treatments, higher taxes, and sadly (for some) permanent illness or death because they could not get the care they needed.

I feel stupid for not having noticed this before but....

....health care privatization in America has resulted in longer waiting periods, severe lack of choice, deterioration of health care quality, prohibition of alternative health treatments, higher taxes, and sadly (for some) permanent illness or death because they could not get the care they needed.

Odd how the republican view on nationalized health care actually describes are current system, perfectly?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 7:32 pm

Orwell wrote:

Ron Paul is still on the fringe of the Austrian school though. So, I am not sure if it is entirely incorrect to say that his ideas are crazy.