Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 7:09 am

I have slight injury which has forced me to remain at home. There is also 18cm of snow and not salt /snowploughs.

This week I discovered:

1.I am an Aspi ( which I kind of guessed before). Sat in far corner of room whilst friends seated at table kept telling me all about Aspi's they taught at school and their obsessions.

2. Computer operating systems need updating from time to time.

3. This very beautiful language called HTML.

4. How to fry bread in saucepan with filling, then utilize a bread-compressive technique to mimic a sandwich toaster. Saves buying one.

What is the quickest way to learn HTML?

I do not want to go back to work it is too dangerous.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 8:36 am

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 8:59 am

thank you pan but where is the link please?

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 9:12 am

pandd wrote:
tutorial link <-- There.
Click the text.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 9:39 am

Sorry pan I have been using Sandvox and have been conditioned to look for underlined links.

Sandvox is Ok until you want to change stuff like where boxes go, color of page, size of images etc. It's great for novices like me.

Have learned to tweak it a bit . There is a simple site injection code/edit code.

I currently like AA9999 and variants . It makes a lot of sense to have colors classified in this way. I have been messing about learning how to make subtle changes AAC999 etc, trial and error.

Also I used my own paypal button images . The original paypal gifs are not too pleasant to look at for a long time.

HTML is so good , it is the sort of thing you want to tell random NT's about in supermarket, ie the colour of their scarf is AA9999, but you refrain.

Why is W3 all free?

Last edited by memesplice on 21 Feb 2010, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 9:48 am

It is a very long time since I had to learn it, is not something I find particularly hard anyway. But I'm pretty sure the first book I picked up was very poor practice indeed, by today’s standards at least..

w3schools is the one that comes up every time anyone asks, but that because it has been around for yonks and it comes up first in the searches. It is actually not that great. It doesn’t really teach best practice, and it is not well authored. In fact it is more of a rudimentary reference rather than a serious course.

HTML Dog comes highly recommended and I suggest it to anyone that ask.
http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/

When people say they want to learn HTML, they often are still unsure what it is precisely they want to learn, which is why I recommend the book:
http://htmldog.com/book/

It will get you to grips with main things that people use, and explain all the differences, tell you all about standards and good practice. It will also help you decide when to break the rules, if it is necessary at all.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 11:48 am

DreamingElsewhere
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Feb 2010, 12:50 pm

I'll second the recommendation for htmldog. It's simply the best site to learn HTML I've seen.

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 1:51 pm

OK there is masses to go at and thank you for your help. I will start by making a file on my own computer.

Whist you are around . I have managed to buy a DN, unlock it and point it at my desired host which for some reason can't produce DN's of its own.

I can access my site by putting in the exact ULR (http// etc) but it doesn't come up any other way in a Google search. It goes straight to an open home page bypassing any listings.

How do I get it come up in the listings like every other website out there? What is the best way to get it listed so it appears in a prominent position?

How things move on. I bet a ten year old today would know this!

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 2:11 pm

By way of thank you: if anyone had an problems with making paypal buttons using the images they want, which I will assume is an absurdly simple task for most of you, please ask . I did the usual and got obsessed with buttons and every aspect of them. I spent longer studying button generation than making my website. I must have spent a very long time at it because my non-Aspi partner yelled "shut up about f*****g buttons" at 9.27 Thursday night. She normally seems more tolerant than this, and yelling behavior is usually a sign I am getting too hung up on one detail of a project.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 6:59 pm

memesplice you are like me you get obsessed with the details. However it is good to get and overall grounding otherwise you'll end up doing more work than what you need, and it will be a bugger to undo,

Also the days in is which people made a website out of published static pages are long gone. There might be the odd page. But nowadays it is used mostly in templates for views in content management/web app software. Otherwise it is very inefficient to have your data imbedded in individual

Paypal button generation isn't the most difficult, but I still recommend getting a good grounding.

Bear in mind that that sites the provide html inserts for their service may not put valid mark-up, and also include other crap in there that you don’t really need. That is why is is worth understanding what is going on.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2010, 7:02 pm

memesplice wrote:
I can access my site by putting in the exact ULR (http// etc) but it doesn't come up any other way in a Google search. It goes straight to an open home page bypassing any listings.

How do I get it come up in the listings like every other website out there? What is the best way to get it listed so it appears in a prominent position?

You need to submit your site to Google first, then it takes time for Google to index you and put you in their listing which will take an age if you are new. You will have a low rating to start with. I would wait until you have content before doing that, and learning a little bit about SEO.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2010, 11:18 am

sounds like you have it pretty well down, if you're already putting in domain names and buttons...;)

One quick cheat (may require some HTML knowledge ) just find a site that does what you want, and choose 'view source' - voila, you can see how they did it. (note- various browsers do this various ways, but there should be a 'view source' in there somewhere)