Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Silva20contraorder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2010, 12:21 pm

I think this is in the right section as I think it comes under social skills. Anyway this is a problem, an issue I have had for a long time now and sometimes its not so much an issue as it is with other times. I volunteer at Schools in the primary departments and I am for the most part very confident but with certain staff and certain children I stutter when I talk to them or flat out cannot say what I want to say. Some of it has to do with shyness and some of it has to do with how I stutter and my lisp, for example I cannot say the letter "J" or the sound "CH" so anyone's name with "J" in I cannot pronounce so I get embarrased when trying to pronounce thier name and I often feel quite bad as I build myself up telling myself even if I cannot pronounce a person's name I will still talk to them but when I go to I just get embarrased due to how my speech is presented sometimes and I like to include everyone. So basically do you have any tips on how to overcome such "fears"- for lack of a better word and any ways to actually become more confident with speech especially after building yourself up to talk confidently to people? Thanks in advance and sorry if this does not make a lot of sense!

ghostpawn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2010, 4:34 pm

What always works for me is, get angry. People mistake my anger for confidence and/or assertiveness all the time. :twisted: