Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:37 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
artrat wrote:
There is nothing great about them. They write songs that will sell and are not unique.
They are too electronic and I have no emotional connection to the music. It is mainstream,happy crap.

Ever heard anything aside from 'Fireflies'?

I heard one other song besides Fireflies. It was very similar

Sunshine7
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

Adam young has a more acoustic album "Sky Sailing".

Quote:
It is mainstream,happy crap.

It's strange that none of the verbs are actually pejorative..."mainstream" indicates only that many people like it. I'm aware that there exist people who will condemn a piece of music simply because it is popular, although the logic behind this escapes me entirely. "happy" is, well...good, right?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 4:06 pm

It's funny. Some people think Owl City is a group of people, but it is just Adam Young alone. He also has Asperger's. My favorite song of his is Peppermint Winter.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 6:04 pm

I have seen owl City in concert only once and told Adam Young that I can play Fireflies on my trumpet. He told me I should have brought it.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2011, 7:44 pm

artrat wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
artrat wrote:
There is nothing great about them. They write songs that will sell and are not unique.
They are too electronic and I have no emotional connection to the music. It is mainstream,happy crap.

Ever heard anything aside from 'Fireflies'?

I heard one other song besides Fireflies. It was very similar

Not all their music is like that. I wouldn't really call them mainstream for one thing - aside from that one song, they have never had another hit. A lot of people don't even know who they are. Just because they're melodious doesn't mean they're crap, lol. Not all music has to be acoustic and broody and depressing to be good.