Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2010, 11:09 am

There are so few doctors who deal with adults on the spectrum. If I were interested in dealing with other people, I'd finish school and open a practice.

I've been calling around for weeks trying to find a doctor close to me who deals with adults with AS and anxiety. Hopefully, one of the last two practices I called, call back with good news.

The rest of the doctors are so far away, and since I can't drive far, I'm hoping I find someone closer. Switching doctors isn't pleasant, but neither is trying to find a ride to a doctor over 3 hours away. :lol:

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

I think there's a niche in providing housing for spectrum people with separate private accomodations (maybe little cabins, or just apartments) with free wifi and meals left on the doorstep once a day, and a staff who will make phone calls and drive the residents to appointments, but otherwise leave the autistics strictly alone to pursue their special interests. I even thought of a good name for such a set-up...an "autists' colony" (like an artists' colony.)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2010, 12:58 am

Sounds suspiciously close - both sound suszpiciously close - to what we have been long term alternately looking for / talking aboutr sett9ing up if we could just sort out how to make it fly.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 2:53 am

Actually, arielhawksquill, what you are describing is VERY like the set up in the Carthusian Order = Charterhouse. Each brother an individual apartment with garden, living quarters, work space, supplies delivered by support staff through a port in the wall.

Makes you wonder who was drawn to the order.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 8:10 am

I like the idea about the cabins or apartments.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 4:15 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I like the idea about the cabins or apartments.

the apartments would have to be thoroughly sound-proofed, as i don't want folk to hear me and my goings-on, and vice-versa.

Last edited by auntblabby on 01 Mar 2010, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 6:39 pm

Quote:
I've been calling around for weeks trying to find a doctor close to me who deals with adults with AS and anxiety.

Wow. I have never had that problem. I pick and choose my doctors.

Is it because there just aren't any willing to deal with it? Or is it becuase they are so busy they can't fit any new patients in? I'm wondering about the whole supply and demand aspect of it.

M_p_furo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2010, 7:03 pm

veiledexpressions wrote:
There are so few doctors who deal with adults on the spectrum. If I were interested in dealing with other people, I'd finish school and open a practice.

I've been calling around for weeks trying to find a doctor close to me who deals with adults with AS and anxiety. Hopefully, one of the last two practices I called, call back with good news.

The rest of the doctors are so far away, and since I can't drive far, I'm hoping I find someone closer. Switching doctors isn't pleasant, but neither is trying to find a ride to a doctor over 3 hours away. :lol:

I hope you have some luck. It's very frustrating to find a good doctor and even more frustrating to find a GOOD doctor who specializes. :(

I live in northwest PA and it's difficult to find a good doctor. Even more difficult to find a good therapist.