Are you constantly aware of your autism/AS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:29 am

I would say that before I joined WP, I was rarely aware of my AS. After I joined WP, I seem to be more aware of it, especially when I am in a social situation.

sketches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2010, 10:38 am

I am usually aware of my traits, but I don't focus on "having Asperger's." I mean, I've known for a long time that I smile (I used to actually laugh or giggle) when I'm nervous, and lately (over some years) I have been forcing myself to make eye contact while listening to a person talk, and I really try to enunciate (and pay attention to my volume) when I am talking. And those are just a few traits that I take notice to, occasionally.

I think that as I learn about more traits -- and how I can tame them or tone them down -- I think about them. WP has helped me realize how my traits are related to Autism (or even Asperger's, specifically) so I am more aware of them since I joined WrongPlanet, too. Yes, like you, I am more aware of it when I'm in a social situation.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:50 am

Constantly, unless I'm both by myself and absorbed in something which takes my complete attention. No sniggering at the back.

(and even then, I usually come to awareness and think "why am I sitting upside down and twisting my hair" :lol: )

The year is still young.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:10 am

Only all the time 8)

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 25 Feb 2010, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:10 am

jc6chan wrote:
I would say that before I joined WP, I was rarely aware of my AS. After I joined WP, I seem to be more aware of it, especially when I am in a social situation.

It's weird, because before I joined any Aspie sites, I hardly ever thought of my AS, but since joining them I do think about it more. But I do try and not think about it all the time, because being self-conscious like that sometimes makes me act weird.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:19 am

The question that keeps popping into my head is; Did I just say/do that to appear more autistic than I am or was it a natural action?

I just can't be sure.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:28 am

Lecks wrote:
The question that keeps popping into my head is; Did I just say/do that to appear more autistic than I am or was it a natural action?

I just can't be sure.

I can certainly relate to being less concerned with observing social rules, which is a great relief.

Equally I realise that being Autistic doesn't give me (I speak for NO ONE else) a license to be rude or unkind.

Now that I think of it, this is probably where I am right now;

1. I am now less diplomatic with with people who are less than diplomatic
(I have the pedantic vocabulary of an Aspie as well as the physical build to back it up :wink: )

2. With everyone else I endevour to be courteous (and receptive to courtesy), which I now do with much less stress

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:34 am

Sadly no hint why I've screwed up so much in life LOL! Even the other day getting food at the mall I stood around oblivious (didn't ask for my meal or anything) dad was kind of mad at me LOL! IMO to a degree I don't believe on focusing on my AS and traits of it. I believe in being who I am. Sadly IMO people want me to act more NT stand up for myself (I let people walk all over me or so my family says) I don't agree with being more NT. What should I be more NT in College next time and skip courses/school work etc. (One teacher before mention doing this and it'd get you a bad grade) IMO WHO WOULD BE STUPID ENOUGH TO SKIP CLASSES NOT DO SCHOOL WORK THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE THERE FOR DAMN IT!! !! !! !! I rather just be myself and then work around my faulty traits. (No offense but some of my behaviors leading back to my AS traits are "faulty" an issue to others. is all I meant) :-)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:45 am

Yes, all the bloody time. :evil:

I get absolutely sick of it and sometimes I wish I'd never heard of Aspergers Syndrome. Of course the DX is probably correct, and only through such knowledge can I hope to optimise my behaviour......."know thyself" and all that......but even so, I wish I could just do something like watch a film without wondering how the condition is affecting my appreciation of it.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:47 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes, all the bloody time. :evil:

I get absolutely sick of it and sometimes I wish I'd never heard of Aspergers Syndrome. Of course the DX is probably correct, and only through such knowledge can I hope to optimise my behaviour......."know thyself" and all that......but even so, I wish I could just do something like watch a film without wondering how the condition is affecting my appreciation of it.

I wonder if NTz think about how their condition affects their behaviour :?:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:55 am

Sensory stuff, yeah, like feeling clothes/glasses itching, scratching and weighing heavily on my skin, and also my bones pushing against the same skin from inside.

Nothing else.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 11:55 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

Their condition being humanity?

I like what you're implying though, made me chuckle. :)

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 12:10 pm

Lecks wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:

Their condition being humanity?

I like what you're implying though, made me chuckle. :)
I believe they do, many times.
Lots of scientific articles have been written about human behaviour.
I also think about it.

Lecks wrote:

I just can't be sure.
This, too.
My classmates have remarked that I was appearing more autistic than I used to.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 12:56 pm

Everyday I know I have it but I am not aware of my traits. I know I watch my movie everyday, I know I talk about my obsessions to my husband but he claims I do it all the time. I stim and I am stuck in what I am doing it's hard to get out of. But the rest I don't know when I am doing it such as being literal, saying the wrong things, missing social cues and body language. In my point of view, I seem to be normal and not have AS much. My husband says I have it all the time and I don't hide it. He said I have been worse since I have gotten off my medicine but it happened over time not right away. Sometimes it takes awhile for it to fully wear off because it all leaves your system.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 2:10 pm

I know I have it, but I don't think about it.

Maika
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2010, 3:16 pm

I do now because it helps me avoid situations that I know will stress me out or cause discomfort, it's much easier to go through the day like that :) before I had no idea what was going on and constantly in a state of panic when in a situation I didn't like