Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 9:03 pm

Horus wrote:
From my perspective....life (especially human life) and existence is a rank absurdity and a thing that should not be. A gamma ray burst or global thermonuclear holocaust would be a mass mercy killing and frankly, I welcome either.
Why the hell should countless humans and animals suffer the torments of the damned just so a few million fortunate "souls" can drive SUVs, attend "Uni", get discounts on fake wicker furniture at Direct Buy and sit in traffic?
Especially considering the fact that these "fortunate souls" are, often enough, causing/contributing to the suffering of the unfortunates and doing little or nothing to alleviate suffering they didn't cause.
Humankind, if not all life, should pass into oblivion already. 200,000 years of stupidity, cruelty, injustice, war, poverty, disease, disability, racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry, greed, superfluous materialism, etc.....ad nauseum/infinitum have been quite enough IMO.

some thoughts about the futility of it all-

the only thing which makes this thumpin, bumpin' world comprehensible to me, is my belief that this is all but a grand illusion with a metaphysical meaning behind it- a grand illusion which is a statement- and all statements can be questions as well. the realm of "all that is" [that includes us earthings] is saying "I EXIST" but is also saying I EXIST?"
iow "why do i exist?" "what is my existence all about?" and anything which spontaneously asks these particular questions is sentient. this sentience quickly learns its limitations and seeks to transcend them, and it does this by finding answers. in the process it grows, and the more it knows the more it wants to know, and the more it learns the more it grows. in the process of this learning, mistakes will be made. lots of learning, lots of mistakes, as experience is the only real teacher. that and time. lots of time. hundreds of eons and more. when this learning process is finished, then it will end. only then.
yeah, when i was in school i hated it too, and couldn't wait for the damned classes to end so i could go home and play. i really wished somebody would blow-up the stinkin' place! but we are all in this big cosmic earthschool together, and whether we like it or not we are stuck here until the lesson is finished. and the name of this lesson is "the golden rule." all the evil you see around you, is proof that the bulk of humanity has not yet learned this central lesson. so simple, yet so hard. when you see everybody loving one another as they love themselves, then "the lion will lie down with the lamb." but not before then.
there are some folk who believe in "the rapture" where the spiritually elect will be "excused from class early" and get to play while the "left-behinds" stew in their own juices for a while. this cannot be proved one way or another, but that doesn't stop lots of folk from thinking they will be among the privileged heaven-bound ones and to say "to hell with the rest." i like to believe that this group will be precisely the ones left behind, for heaven wouldn't be so heavenly if it has to be shared with such self-righteous types.

just my 2-cents' worth

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 10:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Horus wrote:
From my perspective....life (especially human life) and existence is a rank absurdity and a thing that should not be. A gamma ray burst or global thermonuclear holocaust would be a mass mercy killing and frankly, I welcome either.
Why the hell should countless humans and animals suffer the torments of the damned just so a few million fortunate "souls" can drive SUVs, attend "Uni", get discounts on fake wicker furniture at Direct Buy and sit in traffic?
Especially considering the fact that these "fortunate souls" are, often enough, causing/contributing to the suffering of the unfortunates and doing little or nothing to alleviate suffering they didn't cause.
Humankind, if not all life, should pass into oblivion already. 200,000 years of stupidity, cruelty, injustice, war, poverty, disease, disability, racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry, greed, superfluous materialism, etc.....ad nauseum/infinitum have been quite enough IMO.

some thoughts about the futility of it all-

the only thing which makes this thumpin, bumpin' world comprehensible to me, is my belief that this is all but a grand illusion with a metaphysical meaning behind it- a grand illusion which is a statement- and all statements can be questions as well. the realm of "all that is" [that includes us earthings] is saying "I EXIST" but is also saying I EXIST?"
iow "why do i exist?" "what is my existence all about?" and anything which spontaneously asks these particular questions is sentient. this sentience quickly learns its limitations and seeks to transcend them, and it does this by finding answers. in the process it grows, and the more it knows the more it wants to know, and the more it learns the more it grows. in the process of this learning, mistakes will be made. lots of learning, lots of mistakes, as experience is the only real teacher. that and time. lots of time. hundreds of eons and more. when this learning process is finished, then it will end. only then.
yeah, when i was in school i hated it too, and couldn't wait for the damned classes to end so i could go home and play. i really wished somebody would blow-up the stinkin' place! but we are all in this big cosmic earthschool together, and whether we like it or not we are stuck here until the lesson is finished. and the name of this lesson is "the golden rule." all the evil you see around you, is proof that the bulk of humanity has not yet learned this central lesson. so simple, yet so hard. when you see everybody loving one another as they love themselves, then "the lion will lie down with the lamb." but not before then.
there are some folk who believe in "the rapture" where the spiritually elect will be "excused from class early" and get to play while the "left-behinds" stew in their own juices for a while. this cannot be proved one way or another, but that doesn't stop lots of folk from thinking they will be among the privileged heaven-bound ones and to say "to hell with the rest." i like to believe that this group will be precisely the ones left behind, for heaven wouldn't be so heavenly if it has to be shared with such self-righteous types.

just my 2-cents' worth

I believe for that to happen, humanity must first evolve to its next level of existence. Nature is run by logic, humans are mostly run by emotion, and they clash constantly. Humans currently know how to identify problems, but don't quite have the logic to comprehend properly solving them, save for the "I'm really just doing this to feel important...not because it'll actually improve things" idea that most humans actually follow...

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2010, 10:32 pm

There is great beauty and wonder in the world but there is also a lot of pain, suffering and hatred. Which part I choose to focus on really depends on my state of mind at the time.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 10:40 pm

Brennan wrote:
There is great beauty and wonder in the world but there is also a lot of pain, suffering and hatred. Which part I choose to focus on really depends on my state of mind at the time.

Yes, the latter is there...but it will always be there; only in a fantasy-based utopia could that ever not be.

Pain, suffering, and hatred are due to humans being humans.

It's why I don't waste time worrying about it anymore...it's also why I don't watch the news, aside from when I'm at McDonald's, and letting it "entertain" me as I eat my fries...

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2010, 10:26 am

The world is compost, that's what it is, physically and spiritually. Great stuff, but not necessarily pretty.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 12:45 pm

Irisrises wrote:
The world is compost, that's what it is, physically and spiritually. Great stuff, but not necessarily pretty.

humans are the only birds which foul their own nest. the world of humans who infest this beautiful blue marble of earth, is but a giant sandbox that we will eventually rent asunder without too much thought. entropy- what a concept.
but that's depressing, so let us not think so much about the bad things, eh? after all, one of the universal laws is-

*that which one dwells upon is amplified.

granted, it seems a hundred times harder to think about good things than bad, but our task down here on terra firma is to at least occasionally eschew the path of least resistance and take the hard high road once in a while. half of that job is already done, just by being down here in the first place. so the remainder of the job is to try to make at least 1 out of a hundred things we put out into this world a good and cheerful thing. anything less than that, we are falling down on the job. any little bit more than that, is a happy bonus.

Negolin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2010, 7:32 pm

You need to look at the forces at play, and they are ancient.

Kaizer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2010, 7:56 pm

id rather not look at the state of the world at the moment i start getting bad thoughts id rather surround myself with my own world

Moony
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2010, 8:34 pm

I feel the world is an immensely beautiful place, if only you look at it the right way. I'm an optimist.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 9:54 am

I don't really know how I feel about ME most of the time.

I am however somewhat hypnotized by your photo which I find quite.............striking :roll:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 11:12 am

What goes on outside my skin is far more interesting than anything internal. That is why I do not introspect. It is like going down to a dark, dirty cellar.

ruveyn

Shadwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
Shadwell wrote:
I kind of want to move to another country, although every country has it's BS.

well then it is a matter of choosing whose BS you prefer to put-up with. i like the commonwealth brands particularly.

Well there are countries less full of BS, but it also depends I guess on what you do to make it that way.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 12:44 am

Long ago I found this in a text supposedly quoted [but who knows?] by Mark Twain, and found it worth holding in me 'ed:

"I have no objection to the world," said Elfonzo, "but the people are rather singular in some of their opinions."