The last health ailment you suffered from

Page 25 of 30 [ 470 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 2:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
In Poland doctors rather don't pay attention to their patients' pain :( People dying of cancer aren't for example given enough painkillers "because they can get addicted" even if they are already dying 8O . I read about many such cases.

isn't poland a catholic nation? many old-line [pre-vatican II] style catholics believe "suffering is good for the soul." i say to the devil with that.

Yes, it's a religious country - at least when it comes to the older generation because youngsters already don't want to attend the religion class at school; it's a noticeable trend - here in this class you are taught ONLY about our major religion and you can learn in it such things as that - for example - gay people can be cured with... a female genital mutilation 8O (lesbians at least) and that abortion is a horrible sin in EVERY case. Generally the access to abortion in Poland is very, veeeeery limited and is possible only in two cases: the mother's life in threatened or the pregnancy is the result of a crime (rape, incest, sex before age 15, which is the age of consent here). Some organizations even want abortion to become punished by law. But even in such cases one can't get an abortion in the overwhelming majority of cases when the media/Church find out and manage to stick their collective nose into it: one woman got almost completely blind because she was forced to give birth to her third baby, another pregnant woman died - yes, died - and she was even not given any sort of painkillers (as she was told she "should think more about her baby and not about her own ass"), another teenager who got pregnant when she was 14, barely managed to get an abortion because they wanted to force her to give birth, as well as deprive her mother of her parental rights etc. Generally the Polish approach to pregnancy termination (even at a very early stage of pregnancy) boils down to: it's ALWAYS a moral crime, let alone a horrible sin and you are going to get horrible pricks of conscience afterwards - ones that will last until you take your last breath and it doesn't matter if you are a nine year old raped by her father or if the "baby" has an anecephaly etc. - it's a terrible crime 8O Quite recently, some woman was forced to give birth to a baby who had no brain and was generally disfigured - it was a very famous case here in Poland.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 2:41 pm

i will be honest here, i am glad i'm not female and a polish citizen. i would in that case feel in continual danger.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 2:47 pm

This is what women from Polish message boards indeed often claim, from what I see - that getting pregnant is extremely dangerous in the current socio-political situation in our country.And the approach to getting raped is in turn like that: what were you wearing at this moment - wasn't it by any chance a mini-skirt? If so, it might have provoked the rapist and it is something you can hear even from the police officers 8O Generally, I would describe my homeland as racist and homophobic, as well - recently, some gay man got wounded with a knife on his back by another guy who saw him holding hands with his boyfriend. But on the other hand, my distant cousin did undergo a series of sex reassignment surgeries back in the late nineties and was supported by her - now his - family and she - now he - was, I must mention, from a tiny village. Now he lives in England where people are more tolerant. My first cousin who married her wife in France where gay marriages are allowed and legal in turn, wanted to live with her beloved one in that country, but she couldn't learn French, so they came back to Poland and moved in Warsaw, our capital city, instead.

Last edited by Irulan on 13 May 2021, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 2:52 pm

it makes me feel not as bad about being an amuuuuurican.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 3:07 pm

Generally Poles, from what I noticed, aren't fond of things out of the widely understood norm. For example, baby names - here there are only like 400 major names that are in use and if someone decides to give their child an unusual name, they are accused of thinking they are someone better than the regular crowd, because a "normal" name is not good enough for them. I can think of only like 4 really rare names whose owners I ever met in my life. And, oh, my former kindergarten friend gave her babies very unusual names; one of them is Scully, in honour of the character from the X-Files :D

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 3:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Irulan wrote:
In Poland doctors rather don't pay attention to their patients' pain :( People dying of cancer aren't for example given enough painkillers "because they can get addicted" even if they are already dying 8O . I read about many such cases.

isn't poland a catholic nation? many old-line [pre-vatican II] style catholics believe "suffering is good for the soul." i say to the devil with that.

Y'all's conversation is bringing to mind the quantity of related reading here,
https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/overview

Quote:
Pain News Network is an independent, non-profit online news service that provides daily, in-depth coverage about chronic pain and illness. Our mission is to raise awareness about chronic pain, and to connect and educate pain sufferers, caregivers, healthcare providers and the public about the pain experience.

It is estimated that 1.5 billion people worldwide suffer from chronic pain and about 50 million in the United States. Although chronic pain is a common experience, many pain sufferers feel isolated and misunderstood by their doctors, co-workers, family and friends. Many also go untreated or under-treated by the healthcare system.

Our reporters and columnists cover not only the latest research, regulations and treatments for chronic pain, but the many social and financial challenges faced by pain sufferers -- and the remarkable courage they display while coping with what is often a lifetime illness.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:02 pm

^^^thank you for that link, i will peruse it now. :study:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:03 pm

Note: due to the effects of my set of the effects of autism I do not watch TV or movies and therefore have not seen the program referenced here.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories ... t-tell-you

Quote:
Narrative over Nuance

Beyond the erroneous claims about me, my fundamental problem with the documentary is its totalizing depiction of an extremely complicated and often confounding societal predicament. According to the documentary, all nuance must comport with the narrative. Deaths due to opioid overdoses – all tragic – are placed under a spotlight, but deaths because of chronic pain, often complicated because of restricted access to opioids, are left alone in the dark.

This narrative could accelerate flawed policies already gaining traction. More policy decisions like the 2016 Centers for Disease Control (CDC) opioid prescribing guideline, could have a further chilling effect on opioid prescribing — despite the fact that lowering the number of opioid prescriptions does nothing to reduce the number of opioid-related overdose deaths.

The documentary appropriately highlights how opioids can, and do, lead to addiction and deaths. But the scientific fact is that not everyone who takes opioids gets addicted or dies; comparatively few do. The benefits of using some opioids outweigh the risks for many people with severe chronic pain. For a certain patient category, opioids can be the difference between life and death, and happiness and misery.

Having studied addiction for my entire career, I am deeply sensitive to the propensity of some people to be harmed by opioids. I also am deeply sensitive to intractable pain for which there are no treatment options today other than the use – as judiciously as possible – of opioids. My experience with patients confirms two things: opioids kill, but so does pain. We cannot continue to treat these outcomes as mutually exclusive.

We must resist the temptation to further restrict or ban opioids for people who desperately need them. Instead, physicians must be allowed to fulfill their professional responsibilities and uphold their oaths, evaluate patients with complicated needs, apply proper discernment, and treat their patients in accordance with the best available scientific evidence.

A CDC disease expert, DEA officer, member of Congress, activist, or documentarian should not ever attempt to practice medicine.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:35 pm

americans it seems always want to figuratively throw the baby [effective medicine] out with the bathwater [excess fear of overdose].

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
americans it seems always want to figuratively throw the baby [effective medicine] out with the bathwater [excess fear of overdose].

Yep.
Have also heard applied to the thing the expression, "One size sledgehammer solves all."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 4:42 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Yep.
Have also heard applied to the thing the expression, "One size sledgehammer solves all."

the sledgehammer is applied to the working class, the people that the higher classes always complain about there being too many of. the higher classes always get THEIR pain relief because our medical establishment assumes/presumes they are "respectable" and not automatically thought to be drug-seekers.

AngryJackal97
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2021, 8:59 pm

Shingles around the eye and viral pink eye at the same time. Came out of the eye doctor not too long ago. Was declared virus free!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 9:08 pm

AngryJackal97 wrote:
Shingles around the eye and viral pink eye at the same time. Came out of the eye doctor not too long ago. Was declared virus free!

Ouch!
and now,
YAY! :D

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:27 am

Today in turn, I got a sudden diarrhoea attack :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:29 am

i see a trend here, my right butt cheek hurts like hell.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 3:41 pm

Irulan wrote:
Today in turn, I got a sudden diarrhoea attack :(

Today I got one AGAIN :? :x :evil: