Lawsuits Against Former Schools or Teachers

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2010, 4:48 pm

Has there ever been any lawsuits against teachers or schools for harrasing or discriminating asperberg students?

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 4:51 pm

Since most schools are government organizations, you actually have to get permission to sue them. There is also an extremely short period of time in which they can be sued. As such, I do not think there are too many. In fact, I have heard cases of outright abuse that never made it to the courts because of the dragging of feet and the short window of time to sue.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 4:55 pm

If I recall it right UK law states that a child has three years from their 18th birthday to file a civil suit.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:13 pm

demeus wrote:
Since most schools are government organizations, you actually have to get permission to sue them. There is also an extremely short period of time in which they can be sued. As such, I do not think there are too many. In fact, I have heard cases of outright abuse that never made it to the courts because of the dragging of feet and the short window of time to sue.

This is absolutely correct. First, you'll have to go through a State Board of Education office, who will claim their job is to protect the rights of students, but in fact their job is to keep the schools from becoming embroiled in any embarrassing controversy, so they'll 'investigate' and find no wrong doing on the part of the school. By the time they finish 'investigating', 180 days or more will have elapsed, which is the time limit within which you can legally file a discrimination claim. You can continue to contact State Representatives, Congressmen, lawyers, even the television news networks - if you're not a cute little kid with Autism, you couldn't possibly have a real problem. I just spent the past year going through this pointless process. No one give's a rat's @ss about the poor, the elderly or the disabled. That's just fodder for campaign commercials.

Never be fooled, your government does not exist to serve and protect you. It exists to further the careers of politicians, who by their own admission only enact laws, they cannot enforce them. Therefore, the politicians' very existence is moot. They go into the biz to make it rich. You, my friend, are on your own.

tokeee_smokeee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2010, 6:52 pm

amen brother

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2010, 5:59 pm

There's no justice.

I attend Long Beach City College and I've been harassed by another student since September. She's had her friends file false claims against me, and even though they were proven false, still cost me my federal work-study job. When I asked for a similar job (quiet, calm) the VP of HR said - in writing - that they didn't have to provide accomodations for disabled federal work-study students. When I filed a complaint with the state of California about it, the VP lied and said I'd been fired due to numerous complaints - there had been one complaint about me, it was proven to be false, and they were moving me to another position, not firing me. That "other position" has yet to materialize, but I'm talking to the Dean about it Monday. She's scary and I'm terrified.

Last Tuesday, the harassing student came up to me and started talking to me, and I told her I knew about everything she did to me and that I was making it my personal business to tell everyone who would listen what kind of person she really was. I then turned on my heel and walked away. She went to my fiance, who works in the computer lab, and told him I'd scared her (she didn't seem at all scared, rather flippant, in fact) and then asked him to make a basketball artwork for her husband's upcoming birthday. Disgusted with her past behavior, as she was a former employee fired for doing a horrible job and creating disruptions in the quiet lab with her noisy film class projects and cell phone chats while ignoring students who were taking tests and needed it to be quiet, he said no.

So she marched her immense ass over to the Dean's office and lied, saying I'd threatened her with violence, and since she was one of the President's Ambassadors, it was a threat against a school official. I was pulled out of my PolySci class on Wednesday by two police, and ordered off campus until I could meet with the Student Services Dean.

I wrote down all of the things this woman has done to me over the past five months, and took it with me. She didn't want to listen to me at all. Why? Remember the VP from HR? She told the Dean that I was a liar and couldn't be trusted. I did not tell that woman a single, solitary lie. Not one. She was angry that I'd reported her to the state, even though her lies made them drop the case, and was openly retaliating against me. I had to sign a paper saying I'd stay away from that woman and not contact her in any way. I was also informed that I'm not allowed to tell anyone about all the horrible things she's done to me, nor warn anyone that she does those things. If I do, I'll be "disciplined further". My fiance went in and talked to the Dean, and she believed him about what this woman had been doing, but still, I'm the one in trouble, I'm the one who missed classes, I'm the one being harassed, and she walks away scot-free, and my reputation is damaged as well. And all I've done all this time is tell the truth.

I'd also like to add that I'm on the Dean's List with Great Distinction and my record, except for the false accusations, is spotless.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 1:05 am

fabshelly wrote:
There's no justice.

I attend Long Beach City College and I've been harassed by another student since September. She's had her friends file false claims against me, and even though they were proven false, still cost me my federal work-study job. When I asked for a similar job (quiet, calm) the VP of HR said - in writing - that they didn't have to provide accomodations for disabled federal work-study students. When I filed a complaint with the state of California about it, the VP lied and said I'd been fired due to numerous complaints - there had been one complaint about me, it was proven to be false, and they were moving me to another position, not firing me. That "other position" has yet to materialize, but I'm talking to the Dean about it Monday. She's scary and I'm terrified.

Last Tuesday, the harassing student came up to me and started talking to me, and I told her I knew about everything she did to me and that I was making it my personal business to tell everyone who would listen what kind of person she really was. I then turned on my heel and walked away. She went to my fiance, who works in the computer lab, and told him I'd scared her (she didn't seem at all scared, rather flippant, in fact) and then asked him to make a basketball artwork for her husband's upcoming birthday. Disgusted with her past behavior, as she was a former employee fired for doing a horrible job and creating disruptions in the quiet lab with her noisy film class projects and cell phone chats while ignoring students who were taking tests and needed it to be quiet, he said no.

So she marched her immense ass over to the Dean's office and lied, saying I'd threatened her with violence, and since she was one of the President's Ambassadors, it was a threat against a school official. I was pulled out of my PolySci class on Wednesday by two police, and ordered off campus until I could meet with the Student Services Dean.

I wrote down all of the things this woman has done to me over the past five months, and took it with me. She didn't want to listen to me at all. Why? Remember the VP from HR? She told the Dean that I was a liar and couldn't be trusted. I did not tell that woman a single, solitary lie. Not one. She was angry that I'd reported her to the state, even though her lies made them drop the case, and was openly retaliating against me. I had to sign a paper saying I'd stay away from that woman and not contact her in any way. I was also informed that I'm not allowed to tell anyone about all the horrible things she's done to me, nor warn anyone that she does those things. If I do, I'll be "disciplined further". My fiance went in and talked to the Dean, and she believed him about what this woman had been doing, but still, I'm the one in trouble, I'm the one who missed classes, I'm the one being harassed, and she walks away scot-free, and my reputation is damaged as well. And all I've done all this time is tell the truth.

I'd also like to add that I'm on the Dean's List with Great Distinction and my record, except for the false accusations, is spotless.

If that had happened to me, I would have been on the news later that day as the perpetrator of the next big campus massacre. Seriously, where do people come up with that s**t? All it takes is one person's hatred to ruin someone else's life. The human race can be sickening sometimes.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.