Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

xerophyte
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2011, 2:31 am

Hah, that was some of the first advice I got with the Narcolepsy diagnosis. Take a couple quick naps in the day, 15 minutes is all you need...

Well, on a good day, it takes at least 2 hours to fall asleep...
And about 2 more hours to wake up, get my brain going, and not feel like a nauseous total slug.

My first few sleep studies only came back with DSPS and hypersomnolence.
A normal sleep study, a Polysomnogram, cant detect Narcolepsy - it will come back as DSPS or hypersomnolence of unknown origin. The more informative part of a thorough sleep study is the second day, the Multiple Sleep Latency Test. Kind of a pain, but highly recommended for those who want to understand their sleep issues better. If you can get one done at Stanford, they have the best equipment by far...

First time I was given Xyrem (GHB) to help me sleep (indicated to provide "a state indistinguishable from normal sleep") I had my first taste of what "normal" sleep rhythm is - and the benefits of the physically restorative sleep stages I had been missing for so long.
With the equivilent of 4 "street doses" of this alleged "date rape drug." and a mg of xanax, I can get almost normal sleep - too bad they wont let me keep using he xanax with it for too long.

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2011, 2:38 am

Every single person in my family stays up late. Even my grandmother. Nobody goes to bed earlier than 12 unless they have to be up REALLY early.

The problem I have, is that even if I get so little sleep or wake up really early, I still can't go to sleep before 2AM. I can be rediculously tired all day, and I'll perk right up when it gets dark.

Plus I have insomnia and the only thing that seems to help is gravol... Ah well.

I blame computers for being too awesome. My whole family constantly uses computers all the time.

------------------
Also about naps; sleeping for more than 45 minutes will make you feel dopey because you drift into slow-wave sleep. If you sleep only 20-45 minutes, you'll be fine.