Are you an Analytical or Philosophical thinker?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

criss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 4:29 am

I am curious about how people see the world.

As a writer, I use words like an artist would
paint, or a contemplative would discribe the
the word.

I am thus more interested in unifying
principles, thoughts, ideas and actions. In
other words I have a have a natural
dialectical 'whole picture' approach in seeing
the world, as opposed to seeing the world
through analytical eyes which would be more
detail orientated, compartmentalized, and
not so focused on the whole picture.

Chris

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 9:31 am

I'm a mixture of both, but lean more naturally towards the analytical.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2010, 10:24 am

both. i find chemistry easier to understand, but when i write literature essay i tend to expand that even my teacher complains about it. mind you, even the philosophy i think is based on analysis. this is the main problem that has prevented me from writing a novel.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 2:21 pm

"YES"

(logical inclusive OR, ergo AND)

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 6:04 pm

Hyper-analytical, can't turn it off.

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2010, 11:14 pm

I was told once that I was the first person they'd meet that could manage to make philosophy analytical, does that count?

criss
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 2:55 am

Thankx Barbedlotus

Sure it counts..........anything goes

Go well

Chris

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 10:18 am

Hello again Chris,

I employ both forms of thinking in my work.

I need to look at projects very analytically to understand what I am working with.

I then need to think in terms of big pictures in solution design.

I tend to be more analytical OUTSIDE of my work.

wildgrape
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2010, 10:05 am

criss wrote:
I am thus more interested in unifying
principles, thoughts, ideas and actions. In
other words I have a have a natural
dialectical 'whole picture' approach in seeing
the world, as opposed to seeing the world
through analytical eyes which would be more
detail orientated, compartmentalized, and
not so focused on the whole picture.

Your postulated dichotomy between philosophical thinking and analytical thinking is arbitrary and invalid, in my view. Many of the world's greatest philosophers were also renowned mathematicians. Were any of them artists?

As someone with a predilection for logic and accuracy, I find your concocted definition of analytical thinking highly prejudicial in that many analytical folks are capable of recognizing large-scale patterns and seeing the big picture. People unable to see the forest for the trees would fail at any exercise or discipline requiring rigorous analytical thinking.

This may surprise you, but I, too, am more interested in unifying
principles, thoughts, ideas and actions. Perhaps the difference is the analytical thinker's accompanying quest for accuracy.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 11:59 am

wildgrape wrote:
Your postulated dichotomy between philosophical thinking and analytical thinking is arbitrary and invalid, in my view. Many of the world's greatest philosophers were also renowned mathematicians. Were any of them artists?

As someone with a predilection for logic and accuracy, I find your concocted definition of analytical thinking highly prejudicial in that many analytical folks are capable of recognizing large-scale patterns and seeing the big picture. People unable to see the forest for the trees would fail at any exercise or discipline requiring rigorous analytical thinking.

This may surprise you, but I, too, am more interested in unifying
principles, thoughts, ideas and actions. Perhaps the difference is the analytical thinker's accompanying quest for accuracy.

Umm..........ok

Chris seems (to me) to be saying that HIS natural focus is more on the big picture than the fine details and contrasts these two states.

I find this perfectly valid; the two states are quite different :!:

In my opinion (one vote) Chris does NOT seem to be to be making any judgement about which perspective is 'better' and NOR do I think is he suggesting that ALL people are ALL big picture or ALL analytical.

I think (one vote) that Chris is asking a simple question, namely;

Where on the big picture/analytical spectrum do you see yourself.

I happen to combine both perspectives in my life, particularly in my work, (I often find it quite exhausting to combine them outside of work, even with my family :!: )

Blending these two perspective is something that Wildgrape and I seem to have in common.

The other respondents on the thread that answered as we have, who combine both perspectives, don't seem to have taken Chris' question as prejudicial and neither do I, but THAT doesn't mean that Wildgrape's point is any less valid.

I happen to be reading Chris' book, 'A painful gift', at the moment, which is a refreshingly honest and open account of the struggle and triumph of a man who is eventually diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome in his 40s.

I'd like to conclude this wordy posting by expressing my gratitude to Chris for having the courage to write his autobiography.

I was going to mention this in an analytical PM to Chris but here I am giving him a big-picture and very public thank you.

Thank you Chris it is a great blessing to me.

Thank you Wildgrape

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2010, 1:57 pm

Hi Chris from another Chris.
I tend to think I use both analysis and philosophy in my everyday thinking and approach to issues. However I've been told a number of times I'm not a good "abstract" thinker and also very poor at grasping metaphoric messages, so I'm not exactly sure where that puts me. In college I took that "4-letter word" personality test (Kiersey?) and got the typing result of "XNFJ", with the J representing "Judgemental". Perhaps that tilts me more toward analytical?

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 8:32 pm

Philosophy without the application of logical analysis is pointless.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 5:30 pm

I tend to philosophize about analyses and analyze philosophies. Kind of a Mulder and Scully process.

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 1:47 am

druidsbird wrote:
I tend to philosophize about analyses and analyze philosophies. Kind of a Mulder and Scully process.

Heh, fun analogy.

I too think that the dichotomy is arbitrary. I am highly analytical, but I also find myself often waxing philosophical, or shunning the small details in favor of the larger patterns.
I don't think an either/or comparison makes sense here.

Also, why's this in health, fitness, sports section? :lol: