school me on clinical psych programs

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 12:21 pm

I have decided that I'm going to apply to Ph.D programs for 2011 regardless of whether I finish my master's by then. Right now I'm thinking I will apply to:

University of Washington
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Syracuse University
University of Texas-Austin
UC-San Diego
University of Colorado-Boulder
University of British Columbia

Washington is my alma mater and very close to the #1 program in the land, I know all about that program and fully understand that getting accepted there is pretty much a pipe dream, but aside from that, if anyone knows about any of these programs or other ones that you'd like to recommend, please help me out. I'm currently looking real hard at Syracuse, it's not a top rated program but it's a great school and I think I'd have a reasonable chance of getting accepted there (compared to some of the others anyway)...

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2010, 5:53 pm

Before you do this (because it is a HUGE decision) think about how your AS might affect your career. I say this because I have a master's in clinical psychology and owe $30,000 in student loans and I'm 41 and was never able to maintain a career in psychology. I cannot read faces and interpersonal contact taxes me.

I'm not trying to discourage you necessarily but only to ask what type of work you want to do. Psychometry? Research?

Maybe your people skills are better than mine.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 11:27 pm

whitetiger wrote:
Before you do this (because it is a HUGE decision) think about how your AS might affect your career. I say this because I have a master's in clinical psychology and owe $30,000 in student loans and I'm 41 and was never able to maintain a career in psychology. I cannot read faces and interpersonal contact taxes me.

I'm not trying to discourage you necessarily but only to ask what type of work you want to do. Psychometry? Research?

Maybe your people skills are better than mine.

Private practice. I can deal with people much better in a personal sense than in the hierarchical business/workplace sense. In a perfect world, I wouldn't work for anybody, and nobody would work for me; in the scheme of things, private practice falls pretty close to that. Outside of the business end, I'm as sure as humanly possible that this is what I want to do. It's been my goal for nearly half my life (so I sure hope it's something I'll ultimately be able to handle :lol: )

I definitely appreciate your insight, but I fully understand that I have to constantly consider my dedication to this if I want to commit myself to school until I'm like 34 years old just to chase this dream. I am sure.