Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2010, 3:46 am

Like quite a few others here on the forums, I don't know whether I have Asperger's or not, but I find I fit many of the traits.

As a child I was very talkative, you couldn't shut me up, unless I didn't know you. My inability to talk to 'strangers' and look them in the eye lead my parents, thinking I was an extremely shy child, to enrol me in drama classes, which was probably the best thing for me. There I learnt how to pretend to be like everyone else and thus as an adult of nearly 35, I can fake being normal but find it extremely tiring. I still dislike social situations with people I don't know well and thus have to engage in small talk with- just can't stand small talk, it seems so pointless. However, get me started a topic I know something about and you can't shut me up. I'm working on not dominating a conversation, but it is a work in progress.

I am finding working in an office surrounded by non-geeky women that I don't think or feel like they do. I have one co-worker who gets extremely frustrated that I don't get very excited about events she feels I should, like my upcoming birthday or an overseas trip. I don't see why I should feel that way, but apparently it is odd that I don't. Throughout my life I have had trouble finding and keeping friends, but in my adult life (well the last 10 years) I have been fortunate to find some fantastic geeky people who seem to enjoy having me around.

Like many aspies, I was an extremely awkward and clumsy child. I was enrolled in dance classes, but failed every single ballet exam and it took me ages to learn a routine. My rheumatologist (I have a pain disorder) has commented many times that I move like I am uncomfortable in my body and haven't worked out how it all works yet which I feel is a very accurate description of how I move. My handwriting was appalling and I had to take remedial classes in primary school to improve it. I worked really hard in my late teens to improve it, but if I don't concentrate on forming my letters than it goes back to scrawl. I also have difficulties hearing sounds in words which makes my spelling not fantastic (thank gods for spellcheckers) and learning a new language a nightmare.

I also suffer from anxiety and get extremely stressed out in certain situations like crowded supermarkets (have learnt to shop early on a Sunday morning) and I really don't like it when my routines get upset or things don't go to my internal plan. I am happiest when I can plan out how my day is going to progress and have it happen the way that it is in my head.

Well, I feel I have gone on about me for far too long. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and finding out more about Asperger's.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 4:23 am

Welcome

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 8:40 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Mar 2010, 6:54 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2010, 7:17 pm

Thanks for the welcome LostAlien, Tim_Tex & richie

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2010, 8:04 pm

Welcome, Brennan. Hope you enjoy it here. I do :)

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 5:32 am

Hello Brennan, welcome,

Brennan wrote:
I am happiest when I can plan out how my day is going to progress and have it happen the way that it is in my head.
Me too, but at the same time I also like surprises and adventures in my life :? :) :wink:

Enjoy your stay on the Wrong Planet!

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2010, 5:47 am

Welcome! :)

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2010, 7:05 pm

Brennan wrote:
Like quite a few others here on the forums, I don't know whether I have Asperger's or not, but I find I fit many of the traits.

As a child I was very talkative, you couldn't shut me up, unless I didn't know you. My inability to talk to 'strangers' and look them in the eye lead my parents, thinking I was an extremely shy child, to enrol me in drama classes, which was probably the best thing for me. There I learnt how to pretend to be like everyone else and thus as an adult of nearly 35, I can fake being normal but find it extremely tiring. I still dislike social situations with people I don't know well and thus have to engage in small talk with- just can't stand small talk, it seems so pointless. However, get me started a topic I know something about and you can't shut me up. I'm working on not dominating a conversation, but it is a work in progress.

I am finding working in an office surrounded by non-geeky women that I don't think or feel like they do. I have one co-worker who gets extremely frustrated that I don't get very excited about events she feels I should, like my upcoming birthday or an overseas trip. I don't see why I should feel that way, but apparently it is odd that I don't. Throughout my life I have had trouble finding and keeping friends, but in my adult life (well the last 10 years) I have been fortunate to find some fantastic geeky people who seem to enjoy having me around.

Like many aspies, I was an extremely awkward and clumsy child. I was enrolled in dance classes, but failed every single ballet exam and it took me ages to learn a routine. My rheumatologist (I have a pain disorder) has commented many times that I move like I am uncomfortable in my body and haven't worked out how it all works yet which I feel is a very accurate description of how I move. My handwriting was appalling and I had to take remedial classes in primary school to improve it. I worked really hard in my late teens to improve it, but if I don't concentrate on forming my letters than it goes back to scrawl. I also have difficulties hearing sounds in words which makes my spelling not fantastic (thank gods for spellcheckers) and learning a new language a nightmare.

I also suffer from anxiety and get extremely stressed out in certain situations like crowded supermarkets (have learnt to shop early on a Sunday morning) and I really don't like it when my routines get upset or things don't go to my internal plan. I am happiest when I can plan out how my day is going to progress and have it happen the way that it is in my head.

Well, I feel I have gone on about me for far too long. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here and finding out more about Asperger's.

I'm 95% sure if you presented to a psychiatrist and told him all this he would diagnose you with Asperger's! :D

I used to have unbearable anxiety but I found fluoxetine (Prozac) helped a lot with that. It helped chill me out a bit more too. They can't 'cure' Asperger's but they can help you manage some of the side effects.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2010, 11:00 pm

Thanks DavidM. I really am considering seeing a therapist about my anxiety so I can start to manage it better. I just have to work up the courage to ask my GP for a referral.

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2010, 6:08 pm

welcome brennan :D

lol... thought you may be questioning... lol but yeah...

Find it hard reading massive posts like that...

Short posts are good :)

I found out I had AS 3 years ago now..