Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2006, 5:03 pm

The link below takes you to an article on low carb diets. I've agreed with the fact that they can be dangerous all along, in particular because they can cause ketoacidosis which is, believe it or not, what diabetics suffer from when they don't know they have it yet as its a common symptom (particularly in type 1 diabetes, I know cos my dad has it) or when its out of control. And people are actually inducing this on themselves. When I actually told people of this risk they laughed in my face. Who's laughing now suckers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4814314.stm

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2006, 7:05 am

Hi,

I think it would really help me if you typed in topic the word 'nutrition' as a keyword. I'm interested in nutrition.

agent79
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2006, 1:53 pm

HAHA!! !

I am VICTORIOUS!! !! I have said for years that no carb diets (and some of the low carbs plans) are terrible for you. I had a friend who (I am not kidding) ate nothing but bacon and steak for a week. He could not poo without pharmaceutical aid. I told him that any diet that caused that is wrong! I also believe that it has to be bad for other aspects and your organs.

I am so glad that someone else feels as I do.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 6:18 pm

They are only clinical diets mean't to be used as emergency weight loss combined with Statins etc They were never mean't to be used for a year or more. Ive been horrified at the way they have been marketed lately as this alternative weight loss scheme.

I could see this coming that there would be this kind of health problem. But theres also issues of kidney damage, liver damage and circulatory damage caused by these kinds of diets to begin with anyway.

theman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: Oklahoma...... where the men are men and the sheep run scared.

20 Mar 2006, 8:30 pm

agent79 wrote:
HAHA!! !

I am VICTORIOUS!! !! I have said for years that no carb diets (and some of the low carbs plans) are terrible for you. I had a friend who (I am not kidding) ate nothing but bacon and steak for a week. He could not poo without pharmaceutical aid. I told him that any diet that caused that is wrong! I also believe that it has to be bad for other aspects and your organs.

I am so glad that someone else feels as I do.

That's funny!

I've never understood the diet thing. It is so simple. To loose weight burn more calories than you take in. To be healthy eat a reasonable variety of foods. There is no other way.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2006, 4:38 am

What you've said seems to make logical sense to me, theman, but some people just have to do 'extra special' things cos it makes you 'lose weight quicker', sod the fact that they are risking their health on many levels. In my opinion, if you don't have your health, or as much of good health as you can possibly grasp, what have you got? I learnt this the hard way during my teens but hey at least I've learnt it.