Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2010, 6:36 pm

Well this bastard's money making scam managed to worm it's way onto my laptop Through having YouTube and google open of all the websites to get a virus from eh? (posting from iPod) does anyone know of a reliable website source I could use to remove this Pathetic attempt on playing gullible losers out of their cash because this bloody thing is pretty good at self-defence and has disabled my AVG and firewall somehow -.-

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 7:02 pm

Try using System Restore. If that fails, use ComboFix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofi ... e-combofix

However, ComboFix can destroy your operating system. It's not very cuddly, but it also does what no antivirus can - remove rootkits... which modern viruses are.

Rootkits are like mice that live in the walls of your house, and normal antiviruses are like cats running around knowing there's mice there but unable to do anything. ComboFix is like a giant hammer that splatters the mice but can also bring down the walls in your house in the process.

It does create a System Restore point though, I believe, so you may be able to reverse changes in case disaster strikes.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 8:16 pm

what you can also do....

if you have an Ubuntu Linux Liverun CD, or any other liverun CD for that matter (im not trying to convert you lol) you can boot with that and navigate to the place on your hard disk you think the virus resides and delete it manually (the virus will not be able to self-protect as it is not running at this point).

ive done this plenty times on XP, but i no longer use windows so i dunno if it works with your distro.

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 9:09 pm

The most reliable way to rid your system of malware is to format and install some variant of Unix.

If you must use Windows, then at least use Firefox with NoScript as your browser, and keep that NoScript whitelist very short! Run as limited user (never use admin except when you absolutely have to) and keep your security software updated and you should be about as safe as you'll get on a Windows system.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 11:11 pm

StevieC wrote:
what you can also do....

if you have an Ubuntu Linux Liverun CD, or any other liverun CD for that matter (im not trying to convert you lol) you can boot with that and navigate to the place on your hard disk you think the virus resides and delete it manually (the virus will not be able to self-protect as it is not running at this point).

ive done this plenty times on XP, but i no longer use windows so i dunno if it works with your distro.

Not accurate for rootkits. Rootkits often manage to either

a) mess the filesystem attributes to hide files well (mild case)
b) integrate themselves into existing OS dlls and executables, deleting which will prevent your system from functioning

Also, you don't need UNIX for this. Hiren BootCD v10 has "MiniXP boot" which is 100% NTFS-compatible, unlike questionable UNIX distros.

Barbary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2010, 10:59 am

Usually if I can`t remove a virus, I just re-boot my system. Not the most ideal solution.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 1:04 pm

black_legion wrote:
does anyone know of a reliable website source I could use to remove this

I have seen links to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... vista-2010 and it looks okay. Ignore all the advertisements in the page and follow the instructions at the bottom. I am not 100% certain about the two downloads (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and FixExe.reg, both from download.bleepingcomputer.com), but McAfee thinks they are okay http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bleepi ... m/summary/ and I trust McAfee.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 1:29 pm

black_legion wrote:
does anyone know of a reliable website source I could use to remove this Pathetic attempt on playing gullible losers out of their cash -.-

This sounds like the sort of thing you should only do if you know exactly what you're doing. If you have a good PC repair shop near where you live, I should send it there. Virus clean-up shouldn't cost more than about £30, which is a lot less than you'll pay if you screw your computer up.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 8:48 pm

This is how you fix it, when you get that particular virus. This is for you and everyone else in this thread! I WOULD NOT follow some of the other advice that was givin to you in this thread!! !! !! !! !!

1. boot into safe mode, inorder to do that, you restart your computer, and when it starts, keep hitting the F8 key, until a black screen with text comes up. Use the arrow keys to select to select "safe mode" IF you have access to another computer to use while doing this. If you do not have another computer you can use while doing this, select "safe mode with netowrking", and hit the enter key.

2. Next, if you selected "safe mode with networking", then download this program, and run it a couple times http://www.malwarebytes.org/, then download this program and run it a couple times http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html.
If you have another computer to use, and selected "safe mode", then use that computer to download these programs, and transfer them to your infected computer, on disk or thumb drive or whatever.

3. After you have run those programs, reboot, and everything should be fine! :D

This IS the fix for that virus, if this does not work, then you ether did something wrong, or you have a second virus

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 9:00 pm

StuartN wrote:
black_legion wrote:
does anyone know of a reliable website source I could use to remove this

I have seen links to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-r ... vista-2010 and it looks okay. Ignore all the advertisements in the page and follow the instructions at the bottom. I am not 100% certain about the two downloads (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and FixExe.reg, both from download.bleepingcomputer.com), but McAfee thinks they are okay http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/bleepi ... m/summary/ and I trust McAfee.

Although I have never used this methoad in the link to fix a computer with this virus, I am certain that there methoad will work also, but might be a bit more tricky