Do you wish you were more like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2010, 2:41 pm

I wish I had as many friends as he does.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 3:51 am

I wish i was less like him, i constantly have to watch what i say...

Pinchy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2010, 4:15 am

I watched my very first episode about two months ago. I instantly saw how I have a lot in common with this character. It was kinda scary! 8O I tried to not watch the rest of it but I kept coming back for more. :lol:

Yeah, I wish to have as many friends as him too.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2010, 9:51 am

Pinchy wrote:
I wish to have as many friends as him too.

Friends? He's paying 50% of the rent... and the other two guys just tolerate him :D

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 1:13 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
The less you care about making social mistakes, the more confident you become and the easier it gets to actually LEARN the rules and principles of social interaction. It is precisely by not caring about what people think of me for many years that I actually started to learn what they expect from me because it gave me the balls to experiment with social interaction and accept failure honorably rather than crawl into a corner and cry.

A truly Alpha Male or Macho man does not worry about "social mistakes"

James Bond could go to a formal dinner wearing jeans and a leather jacket and make everyone else feel overdressed.
Or he could go to a beach party wearing a tux and make them feel under dressed.

Most of us want to "run with the herd" but it is the "winners" who set the style. The rest of us just try to keep up.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 4:34 am

Wombat wrote:
A truly Alpha Male or Macho man does not worry about "social mistakes"

It depends on his level of power and the leadership skills of people higher up the hierarchy. Many Alpha males with reduced power will submit to people higher up the chain of command to a degree necessary to survive but will at the same time find ways to rebel and potentially overthrow the system if the leader figure does not contain leadership skills perceived as superior to his. Alpha males will only subdue to those perceived as superior to them, never to those perceived as inferior to them.

Some Alpha males will never submit to anyone at all, but these are usually stupid barbarians. Dominance for the sake of dominance rather than skill is a significant social hazard. I personally consider myself a sort of technocratic / meritocratic Alpha male.

By the way, many machos are weaklings (who pretend to be strong) and hardly Alpha males at all. Similarly, many Alpha males are not machos (but rather very self-confident and self-aware men with tenderness and kindness). There is an overlapse but not direct correlation.

Wombat wrote:
James Bond could go to a formal dinner wearing jeans and a leather jacket and make everyone else feel overdressed.
Or he could go to a beach party wearing a tux and make them feel under dressed.

If an Alpha male has the power to do so without losing face, he will make that choice without hesitating. If he does not have the power to do so, he will first judge whether the results of making that decision are worth losing face. An Alpha male seeks power and dominance but if he's intelligent enough he will submit to those perceived as inferior to him when this helps his long term attempt to gain power and dominance. It's basically a way of laying low in the shadows and waiting for the right moment to strike, just like a predator that takes his time lying on the ground and stalking his prey rather than charging blindly into a herd.

Wombat wrote:
Most of us want to "run with the herd" but it is the "winners" who set the style. The rest of us just try to keep up.

I want to lead a part of the herd but I'm willing to start at the very bottom to get there. Unless you have the right connections, it's always best to start at the bottom and submit as long as required to get where you want to get.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 3:42 pm

Not not but hell no.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2010, 9:13 pm

NO, he's funny on the show, but if I met someone like that in real life I'd avoid them like the plague.

CobaltBlew
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 12:03 am

Yes, he's got some control over his life and he's able to handle it better then me.

Andrew3
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jun 2010, 3:02 am

I wish I had his genius level IQ haha. I would use it to make a multi-billion dollar company.....:)

NearlyaHuman
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2010, 10:15 pm

Somehow I think Sheldon IN REAL LIFE would have no friends, and probably be beat up on a regular basis, LOL Most people love characters like that on TV, and characters such as House, but in reality, personalities like that really piss people off it seems.

I am envious of people with photographic memories. I have a pretty good memory, but that would be useful.
I don't really have any useful talents.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:11 am

NearlyaHuman wrote:
Somehow I think Sheldon IN REAL LIFE would have no friends, and probably be beat up on a regular basis, LOL Most people love characters like that on TV, and characters such as House, but in reality, personalities like that really piss people off it seems.

I am envious of people with photographic memories. I have a pretty good memory, but that would be useful.
I don't really have any useful talents.

I attended Eastern Washington University with a guy who was even more of an Aspie than me, and yes, people found him to be an insufferable as*hole, despite the fact that he was intellectually and artistically gifted. And the thing was, it was obvious he had no idea he was pissing people off. I think I was probably the only person in college who befriended him - what can I say, I'm a sucker for friendless misfits. In later years, I've seen him around town, but he's become even more antisocial and socially isolated than I remember. I imagine a real Sheldon would be very much like my former friend.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 1:59 am

NearlyaHuman wrote:

Any Aspie seems to be piss off people most of the time until they learn to bend over their social inaptitude to being considered just a funny weirdo. That's the moment you start making friends. In real life, Sheldon would probably be able to make friends if he wanted to but what's a bit too hard to believe is that he can actually have friends without caring about it....

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:15 am

Hehe my cousin's dog is called Cooper. :lol:

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...