stupid thing that happened at work last night

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 2:24 pm

I went in even though it was snowing and my road was slick last night, my plan was to get done as quickly as possible (I was cleaning this urgent care) and leave, and it usually takes me over 3 hours and last night I went in and they were still there for a while. I was hauling @ss because it was still pouring snow outside and the whole first hour this doctor that always stays late was talking to this other doctor. The doctor is a female and when I work she asks me to watch her walk to her car when she leaves, I always have to stop what I am doing (I leave around 2 or 3 a.m. and no one watches me walk to my car, lol....I guess they will just find me dead the next day, I never really think about being scared). So I tell the 'fraidy chick that as soon as I get done I am leaving because of the snow. And she asks me when and I say 20 minutes and change it to ten. I get done and then she actually has the nerve to ask me to wait on her. After talking for the first hour I was there. Just so I can walk her to her stupid car. So I basically refuse, and then say I am going to go start my car, and she freaks out and gets her stuff together so she can walk out with me. Now I am afraid I am going to get in trouble because I was borderline rude to a Doctor. I don't know whether to call work and talk to them about it or not...I am not responsible for her safely getting to her car, plus I had already clocked out because I knew she would ask me to wait until she got done. I don't know what to do and I dread seeing her again. I don't know if I should call my boss and talk to her about it or not...I can't stop feeling like I did something wrong but really I don't owe this woman anything.

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 5:28 pm

Don't know quite what to tell you. Hospitals do have security and she could always ask one of them to walk her out, but then, having had a sister who was an RN for many years, I know that doctors can be pretty unreasonable in their demands. I think though, that if you are worried about it, you should write down exactly what happened just as you did here and then if someone says something, you can have something to give them. I know when I'm in a confrontation over something like this, I tend to forget half of what I need to say and come out the worse for it, so having a record of some sort should help you explain your case if you need to later. If nothing is said, though, I wouldn't worry about it.

alana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 6:27 pm

thanks for the advice, I finally broke down and called my boss and explained the situation and she said it was no big deal. Apparently alot of people called in sick last night and the fact that I showed up to work even with the roads being bad was a point in my favor.