Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Steffy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2010, 9:42 pm

So I was born and raised Catholic. I was baptized, and experienced First Communion and Confirmation. It wasn't until my freshmen year of college that I started to question my religion. I guess I really never liked the Catholic Church. I disagree with a number of their rules and opinions. I believe that anyone should be able to marry. I believe that gays should have the same rights as straight people (btw, I am bisexual). I believe that abortions are wrong, but that if people want or need to get one that they should be able to legally. I feel that women should be able to Catholic Priests. I believe that the Catholic Church is way too male-dominated. I believe that God is genderless and that saying "He" in place of God is not right. I don't believe that going to church is the best way to experience God. I believe that objects should not be worshiped. I believe that the Bible is taken way too literally.
I am not opposed to religion; quite the opposite. I feel that people need something to believe in. Believing in a higher power is usually not a bad thing. People should be able to believe in what they want to and (within reason) exercise their beliefs.
I think my beliefs today are that there is a higher power. It might be the Catholic God, or something else. I don't know, and honestly, I don't think I want or need to know. I pray every night to that higher power. I am content just believing that someone is watching over me.
I don't think I will be able to tell my parents my beliefs. They are devout Catholics and force me to go to Church every Sunday. Chances are that once I move out, I will stop going to church. And that is fine by me.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:38 am

There is a lot of peoples with such views. Sadly between the religious fanatics and mitlitant atheists cacophonies we don't hear them much nowaday. :(

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 12:43 am

totally relates!!

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:11 pm

He look genderless to you?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:

He look genderless to you?

And what does God do with his gender since there seems to be no Mrs.God? Was one encounter with Mary over 2 thousand years sufficient to satisfy his gender requirements?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:43 pm

And why a omniscient over-powered creator of universes being will need a reproductive system anyway? :lol:

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 1:26 am

Steffy, you know I love you, and your superstitions don't factor into it one way or the other, but if you ever wish to have them challenged, or challenge my lack thereof (be it for fun or out of curiosity or because my soul is in danger or for any other reason), all you have to do is ask and I'm open to have that talk whenever you want, if you want. But I would never initiate it, as I see no reason to. I want you to know that I accept and love you as you are, and as long as your beliefs don't cause you to make bad choices, I see no reason to question them without your explicit request. Just thought I'd put that out there in case you were wondering why I haven't tried to get in your head about the subject in spite of my personal materialistic/absurdist worldview and my general outspokenness about this sort of thing. As far as I'm concerned, we don't ever have to have the religious discussion. I have nothing to gain from trying to change your mind. But if you ever want to talk about the nature of reality for any reason, I'm here. I just want you to know that your superstitions don't make you any less awesome. :heart:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 1:30 am

Divine Gender except win systems with multiple and procreating divine beings is just a convention forced on Divinity by language structure. Note the languages [at least two I have encountered, likely more] where God is feminine.

Anyhow, if God feels any of us need to believe in [PRONOUN], [PRONOUN] can and does sit down and have a talk with us.