Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2010, 7:48 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I actually enjoyed Mozart and the Whale more - - maybe because the movie was set and filmed in my home town of Spokane WA. (well, truthfully I live in neighboring Spokane Valley, but oh well). But also because I just couldn't kick the feeling that I was supposed to feel sorry for Adam. At least, that was my take on it. Give me the capable and confident, if not often times clueless Sheldon Cooper.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Thanks for mentioning those films. Now I have something new on my agenda to watch :)
I've never really known there were movies about AS/autism hahaha. I need to get crackin.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 2:28 pm

I wasn't crazy about the film itself, I expected more of a romantic comedy, but there were actually very few comedic moments, basically all of which were in the trailer. So I got quite bored in parts of it.

Addressing some things people have commented on so far:

Where Beth's dad says all that stuff about how she shouldn't date Adam because of his AS and how he can't possibly act like a normal person (or something. I forget the details, it was something along those lines), I just felt very sad and angry at the dad. I said to my family, "That guy is horrible for saying things like that, I don't like him anymore". Now, if there's one thing I have taken from the time I spent watching this movie, it is a strong overpowering urge to prove that horrid man wrong!

The theatre bit was kind of funny how he just went on and on and on and on... I'm a BIT like that with my obsessions, but I don't tend to go on like that quite so much, but if someone mentions a random year, I might say that that is the year a certain film came out, which weirds people out a bit because it just seems so completely random: "Yeah, I was born in 1994..." "That's the year Four Weddings And A Funeral came out". "...Yeah. Anyways..." :lol:

The bit where he finds out she arranged to meet her parents at the theatre reminds me so much of something that happened to me in Turkey. We met my dad's friend and his fiance at the bar, and everyone acted like they just happened to be there, and my brother tells me later that it was arranged and Dad just didn't tell me because he thought I'd get shy about meeting new people (I'm actually not all that bad for that, though). I didn't freak out, though, I just laughed about it, I wasn't bothered.

y es como un semestre"

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2010, 4:00 pm

wendigopsychosis wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I actually enjoyed Mozart and the Whale more - - maybe because the movie was set and filmed in my home town of Spokane WA. (well, truthfully I live in neighboring Spokane Valley, but oh well). But also because I just couldn't kick the feeling that I was supposed to feel sorry for Adam. At least, that was my take on it. Give me the capable and confident, if not often times clueless Sheldon Cooper.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Thanks for mentioning those films. Now I have something new on my agenda to watch :)
I've never really known there were movies about AS/autism hahaha. I need to get crackin.

Here's a few more movies about people on the spectrum: Molly, Snow Cake. Here's a list:
http://www.autism.com/fam_autism_in_movies.asp

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

I saw it, but I didn't like it so much. The only part I could relate to was Adam's freezer full of all the same meals cuz that's me! I thought "Temple Grandin's" portrayal of autism was excellent, as well as "Mary and Max's." I'm still waiting for a movie about girls with AS though.

jjsingstheblues
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2010, 7:38 pm

I just found a name for what's wrong with me. And watching this movie helped me understand how I appear to other people. It is hard for me to imagine what other people are thinking inside their heads. I try to read their facial expressions, but I am frequently wrong.

I am 54 years old. And all my life I have wondered why I make people turn away from me. And I think I am beginning to understand why now. I like people but they scare me.

And I like to go to new places as long as I have maps and books that I have read about where I am going ahead of time. If the lady left the man in the movie, that is realistic.
I've had a lot of people turn away from me eventually. My husband that I have now does seem to understand me, and tells me that he loves me, and I tell him that I love him. He also works at not being Prince Charming as the fairy tale says. If someone just takes care of you then I have found that many times I never get to meet the person who is really there because instead I meet the role they are acting with me. I have met very few people who are able to leave off roleplaying with others.