What's the differnce between a crush and being in love?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Einschmidt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

Is it just a matter of intensity or what?

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:30 pm

Love is where you start acting out bad clichés that you see in movies. A crush is just attraction.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 8:49 pm

Einschmidt wrote:
Is it just a matter of intensity or what?

this is a pretty good place to start. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 9:00 pm

IMO, you have to know a person really well to be able to "love" them, whereas a "crush" is where you are attracted to someone, and want to get to know them better, be with them, etc.....

Those who know, don't speak.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 9:35 pm

A crush is when the love falls on top of you and knocks all your innards out. Being in love is where you enter the love via a tube near it's bottom, and nestle undamaged within it's core.

Sound
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 11:11 pm

The distinction between the two is a bit arbitrary, really. Relationships don't work according to rigid statuses, they morph, grow, evolve, change. Deciding between whether you feel like calling it a crush, or love, is wholly up to you.

My personal opinion is that, in general, it's best to be conservative about this distinction until you know for sure that the other person's feelings and investment are reciprocal. Managing ones own expectations is pretty important, as getting wrapped up in another person prematurely spells doom.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 2:23 am

A crush tends to be more shallow - it is overwhelming, yes, but it tends to be based more on your perception of the person as a sort of desirable object than as an actual individual. I think love is when you get to know them better and have feelings for them that are more than just distant admiration or lust.

musicboxforever
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 8:59 am

Aurore wrote:
A crush tends to be more shallow - it is overwhelming, yes, but it tends to be based more on your perception of the person as a sort of desirable object than as an actual individual. I think love is when you get to know them better and have feelings for them that are more than just distant admiration or lust.

I was going to write something, but this covers what I was going to say. A crush is the beginning when you don't know a person so well and you think everything they do is wonderful and they are amazing and only goes so far, but love is when you know a person very well and can see their faults and can accept them for who they are. Love is when the rose coloured glasses come off, but you still care about the person.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 10:14 am

Big difference. A crush is someone you probably think is very physically appealing but you may not even know the person well. You are lusting over this person but you don't know them enough to actually love them. On many occasions you probably don't know them at all. Loving someone is when you love someone for who they are and one you probably know them very well. Love obviously is much less shallow and less one dimensional like a crush which is the main difference.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2010, 1:18 pm

I know the difference but can't explain it. I know the diffrence because I love someone and just fancy someone else. Both feelings are different but I can't explain how that good, it's like the love feeling is more comfortable I guess where as with the crush it's more going all giggly everytime I see them.

lucky0979
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2010, 6:17 pm

..Guess maybe a crush is more to do with loving a person faults and all, whereas true love is more to do with feeling guilty at not being able to satisfy your partner. :D

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:56 pm

A crush is just having attraction on the other person... and love is just completely different but for me when I fall in love, it would lead me to being completely obsessed with the person and sometimes it goes out of control, now that I have a girlfriend, its all pretty good now and I know who to fall in love with.

Only problem i'm having at the moment is that I found out she has more feelings for her ex more than me... :( Its truly upsetting and heartbreaking so i'm telling you now, if you wanted to seriously go out with the person who you are literally in love with.... DO AT YOUR OWN RISK! because sometimes it can go horribly wrong depending on how the relationship is and plus it works both ways.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

07 Mar 2010, 9:53 pm

I agree with everyone who's said that a crush is based on expectation, while love is based on experience. I'd also like to add that love is mutual, while a crush can be unilateral. That's an important distinction, because fantasy can feed a crush and keep those feelings alive. But for love to be real, those feelings have to be returned by the object of your affection.

@superboyian - It's very difficult when you discover you're the "rebound" relationship....that's something nobody signs up for. But as much as the heartbreak sucks right now, just try to remember that every relationship fails - up until the one that doesn't. Hang in there.