How is it like being a girl with [More girls less boys pls]

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:38 pm

Athenacapella wrote:
Well ...

1) I always had one very close friend throughout school. In college, I didn't have any close friends, just folks I talked to in class. Now as an adult, I don't have any friends. I eventually say something, without meaning, that offends someone. And then I know I hurt them.

2) I rock at *what* I do at work, but not how I do it. I don't know how to deal with difficult people. Have trouble reading people. And generally get made fun of if I take something literally or don't understand someone's using sarcasm. Most of the times I can laugh at myself; other times it is very embarrassing.

3) I hate girly stuff. I do not want to go shopping with other girls. I hate shopping, in fact, because it is very tough to find clothes that I like that fit well and don't itch, etc.

4) I read book after book after book as a child. My favorite is realistic science fiction. I was OK at math, but didn't do well if I didn't like the teacher. I'm pretty smart and come off as conceited sometimes when I'm only trying to help.

5) I hate light touch, can't stand to be tickled, but otherwise enjoy hugs, etc.

ditto to everything.
I would add wrt romance, I'm single and likely to stay that way; I'm not into being touched unles I trust someone, and that generally takes a while with me. I don't know how to flirt, either.

As far as talking goes, I just don't like it. I'm much more communicative in writing/typing than verbally, and more often than not I wish people would just be quiet when they're talking at me (that excludes necessary conversation that pertains to my work or school, or to science topics of interest). In a man, this is somehow seen as, at worst, not unusual; in a woman, not talking and not liking to listen is 'bitchy.'

token girltalk since the subject of relationships with aspie men came up:
I did have a serious e-crush on a guy who used to post here by the screen name of 'Elemental.' He was alway so calm and logical. *sigh...*
/girltalk.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2010, 4:27 am

Ah... how is your transition from girl to woman. The rebellious years.... For us boys, things can get violent.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2010, 8:10 am

The transition years were traumatic. I couldn't fit in at all in school and had no friends. My school was a snobbish one where they ignore you if you're not cool or normal. Even some nice ppl did that, and later on in college they turned out to be nice. My grades suffered for 2 years (but still not bad) and I felt frustrated that it was all rote and very little thinking. I thought I was ret*d. I eventually got tired of NT girls' novels and read literary classics. From there my writing skills improved drastically and I found an escape in the 19th century. Surprisingly it was 2 guys who helped to bring me out indirectly. Both were sociable. One enjoyed memorising capital cities, the other discussed fantasy books with me.

After I moved up to the science stream I found out that I could think. Literature classes helped me to find a few friends with depth in their thoughts. I became top literature student there. My mum thought I was mad and a "problem child." Indeed when she was furious she yelled that at me and said I'm good for nothing and called me profanities. Because I'm forgetful and impractical and can't understand a lot of mechanical or practical things she thought it was natural to know. I was sent to a psychologist and I complained about my mum. The horrible woman went crying to gain sympathy ( I NEVER do that) from the psych and in the end my parents grumbled about the expensive bills. The psych never even knew I had AS.

When I was 17 I met this wonderful guy who was an intellectual nerd. We found something in common and quickly fell for each other. We still confide in each other and he has been a great support to assure me I'm OK and there's nothing wrong in being weird. I suppose this increased my rate of maturing into womanhood, already stunted as it is.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2010, 8:41 am

So girls also have turbulent teenagehood huh... but there is less violence right? Mostly is office politics and psychological warfare.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2010, 9:37 am

psychological warfare is worse. My fingers are strong. I daresay I could hurt a girl physically if I wanted to. But I had both types of torture. My mum often pinched me and pulled my hair when I forgot something or answered back logically and she couldn't find a counter-argument. Mind you I developed my finger strength when she made me massage her since early teens, hurting my fingers in the process. One plus point of being a girl is that the guys can't beat you up because it's not macho and cowardly.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2010, 10:15 am

Well the kung fu style, Wing Chun or Yong Chun is created by a woman. ^^V

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 3:54 pm

I took Karate as a young teen, and later went on to get a black belt in Aikido. The discipline helped me control myself when I wanted to strike out - it's strongly emphasized in the martial arts that one does not initiate violence.

I did get into a lot of physical fights with my brother, and I kicked in the front door of the house once. I also kicked a hole in one wall of the house and threw a hard object that made a hole in my bedroom door.

Isabella
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2010, 9:25 pm

As an aspie girl, I was diagnosed late. But it seems my childhood/teenage years were no different from other aspie girls. No friends, never talked to people, usually picked on by other kids. I spent most of my time in my room reading. Aside from the fact that I was kind of anti-social, I was also one of those 'fat' kids that others would tease mercilessly. I finally dropped out of school because I couldn't deal with the torture. Despite the fact that I am pretty sure I would have finally succeeded in committing suicide if I had stayed in school, dropping out and never getting my diploma is one of my biggest regrets. Maybe if I had known back then that the social awkwardness wasn't all my fault I might have gotten the help I needed to cope with school and people.

It is so nice to know that I am not the only one who feels this way. How I am too shy to talk to people and find I have nothing to say to them. How I don't like being touched, even to be hugged by others. How sex holds little interest for me, nor the opposite sex, though I tend to get on better with guys than girls. I too, find it easier to communicate with people online than off. I get tongue tied when talking to others and I come off sounding like a studdering fool around strangers, even family sometimes. I'm smart, but I feel like people dont think I am because I have trouble getting my points across. Another reason why I'm usually very quiet.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2010, 11:12 pm

but dun NT girls envy that Aspie Girls can understand guys better?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 4:11 am

No, b/c guys are not attracted to women who 'understand' them. They're attracted to women who seem stereotypically feminine, even if part of that is being EMO and incomprehensible.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2010, 4:12 am

Ha ha fools they are.... Right ladies? To me the ladies must have both.. Must still be a bit feminine, but if you have a character that sucks. I won't tolerate, even if you are Megan Fox

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 6:44 am

Tales wrote:
So girls also have turbulent teenagehood huh... but there is less violence right? Mostly is office politics and psychological warfare.
Aah, no.. well, sort of. I dunno. I went to a "special" middle school. There were only a few girls but we did violent things just as often as the boys. Like throwing stuff through windows and having to be restrained and kicking and fighting the teachers. But one teacher did remark that we seemed to know when to stop better than the boys, so that usually we would stop fighting RIGHT before we got in MAJOR trouble, (not always, but often) whereas the guys would often become so angry they couldn't control it, so they'd end up getting in huge trouble. This fact made the boys even more mad, hahaha. We would both be acting up but only the boys would get in trouble because us girls would time our actions to put the teachers' attention on their bad behavior and not our own. I guess that was pretty sneaky of us.

But I never got into that bitchy clique stuff with other girls even when I started going to public high school. High school was really boring because I just sat alone the whole time. I had a couple friends but we didn't have any classes together. I had no enemies in HS.

Cricket2731
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2010, 8:47 pm

Gee...this could be a tough one.

Born female, brought up female. Tomboy; HATE to wear dresses; much prefer to be mucking around with "guy stuff" (used to do my own auto repairs/maintenance until they got all computerized). Always felt I was born in the wrong body, but gender reassignment surgery too expensive, so I'm making do with what I have.

Went thru some major trauma when I was 12: my maternal grandparents moved to Florida (I was very close to them); my parents & I moved to one of the suburbs, but I continued going to the grade school I had been attending (my mom taught there, so transportation was no problem), & then to put the icing on the cake, my father began molesting me that fall. As a result, I developed some severe social problems.

A few years later, I found myself to be a single mom on welfare, parents divorced, mom remarried & in Wisconsin; dad later remarried & moved to Florida.

Was pretty much a hermit for many years, which didn't help matters any.

Had only 3 close friends, all male. One died several years ago, & fell out of touch with the others. No close friends at work, but manage to pull off "girl talk" most of the time, usually with those my age or older.

Eventually got married & have held several full time jobs over the years. Been with current employer going on 10 yrs.

I eventually learned how to behave "normally" by closely watching people & trying to do what they did. By & large, it's been more or less successful, altho I still have behavior quirks that I just can't shake. My co-workers just sigh, roll their eyes, shake their heads, & affectionally say "that's our _________!"

I don't know if this really answers your question.....just wanted to share my view.

Tales
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2010, 8:23 pm

Great thanks. My group of Aspies will love such views. We have just too many guys so the issues discussed are often one sided...

Ok do Aspie Girls fall for the tricks of NT guys often? For example, they show interest in you just to court your frience or like say break your hearts or try anything funny [sex]?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 10:55 pm

I am a somewhat "atypical" Aspie female...I am really more of an AS/ADDer...I am assesed as having Asperger's, but my AS traits are mild in comparison to my ADD traits...which are somewhat severe....I recently scored a 70 on a test where one needed to score a 20 to qualify for ADD.

My AS traits are fairly standard. I stim and pace and collect things and avoid eye contact...I have somewhat severe executive dysfunction (which i always thought was more of an ADD thing,,)...I am prone to obsessive loops...and my interest are narrow in the sense that I am closer to objects than I am to human interraction... I have always been a singer and I collect toys....homemade and vintage....
I also have mild face blindness and gah,,,howyousay...auditory processing difficulties...Many of my sensory issues were a lot worse when I was young, and have improved over the years.

I might also qualify for dyspraxia...as I had a lot of trouble with motor coordination when I was young..

um...yes I would fall for the "tricks" guys would play because I took/take people's intentions very literally....and had very little mental/social defenses, often doing things because I had gotten the impression that that was what people were "supposed" to do...I have very shoddy "theory of mind" to go along with everything else.

I am 34, but I act and feel very young for my age.
I act younger and am somewhat "less capable" than the average 22 year old...I use my partner's girlfriend as a gauge...also, I have a narrower range of emotions..I am easily overwhelmed by all kinds of different things...that most people would have an easier time with.

When I hang around people who were born when I was in my teens I realize just how backwards and naive I am for my age....and it is all the more obvious when I hang around "normal" people my age.
Some people like me because of my "uncomplicated-ness" and I have some sort of novelty appeal because of my narrow range of talent....

I have been in relationships since I was 15. My first relationship was very rigid and controlling and lasted for 7 years...and after that, I really didn't know any better than to respond to almost anyone who pursued me...and as a result would quickly land in relationships that would usually last a while..because I did not know how to "play the field" and would quickly become dedicated....I generally would be pursued because I am "strange and unusual"...being childlike didn't hurt either... and um...most pursuers knew me from the "music scene"
In turn, I have not had very many platonic friendships that have lasted for any length of time, and have difficulty getting along with "neurotypical" females, and seldom come across females who "arent" NT...and of the small handful of people I am close to, most are neuro-eccentric...and pretty much all of them are male...

I have always kinda felt like I was in a bubble that kept me sorta separate from everyone else. There were times when I tried to have "best friends", but I was oblivious to all of my horrible shortcomings....and eventually drove them off....I was also very drawn to "misfits" because I actually did want to have friends....I have had a history of being friends with people who felt alienated for other reasons....i.e. the newly immigrated, who often could speak very little English...mixed race/culture kids....the extremely shy for different reasons....etc...Often I would make friends who would end up becoming closer to my younger sister because she had better social skills.

A lot of people are scared of me...most particularly females....I intimidate people by not adhering to normal social protocols...I have difficulty interacting with people I have not been formally introduced to...There are some I have been acquainted with for a long time, and I will almost treat them like strangers....Because I don't really know how to "BS"...I guess...

um....I guess I had to have been somewhat charismatic and gregarious over the years to end up where I am now...I have been in bands since I was 15 and am co-founder of a performance and arts space, which I have helped run for 7 years.

I am not the only AS-female who is counter-culturally inclined.

It is difficult for me to quantify the ways I am and am not like a regular AS female...and besides that, we are all different. Many are asexual, but not all....I happen to be extremely picky...and am only seldomly attracted to certain kinds of guys. I have tended to lean towards being attracted to somewhat effeminate guys for a long time..
When I was younger, i felt very gender-neutral, and still do to a certain extent...
I tend to be a bit posessive of the small group of people I am close to, because I don't like to feel completely alone and I fear losing them. I have a lot of boundaries and trust issues...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm

I feel like Mick Avory in a woman's body.