Article about Asperger's and College admission

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Mar 2006, 12:20 am

Here is an article about Aspergers and college admission from 2000, but it was interesting so I figured you would want to read it:

click for article.

Quote:
Meyer Kachel has an IQ of 146 and scored 1,320 on the SAT college admissions exam. He studied Advanced Placement statistics and third-year Latin at Robinson Secondary School in Fairfax County.

Yet Kachel was rejected by all four of the colleges he applied to, a crushing setback to his hopes of earning a doctorate in math. Instead, he will attend Northern Virginia Community College this fall.

Meyer Kacel, center, has Aspergers, a form of autism. He enrolled in a Cocoran Art Gallery photo class with his mom, Margaret Meyer, right. His sister, left, came to the last meeting of the class. (Gerald Martineau - The Washington Post)

The 18-year-old from Burke is angry that he won't get the academic offerings of a four-year college or the experience of living in a dorm. "I'm smart," he said. "I don't need to go to community college." ...... (continues)

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2006, 4:16 pm

He shouldn't be disparaging community colleges. They are a spingboard to a four-year school.

The brutal truth is he did poorly on his academics. Four-year schools do not have to accept anyone that they see not fit. If he had a 3.0, he would have gotten into some four-year colleges. But, he had horrible grades, and that hurt him.

He can go to community college for a year, receive ~30 credits with excellent grades, and then enter a four-year school -- most likely a better one than he applied to.

In contrast, you need a 2.3 GPA to enter a four-year state school in NY. He was .2 from falling from that cutoff.

Kind regards,
Chris

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2006, 2:46 am

First off, dorms are highly overrated.

Actually, if the main focus of the article xfered to a 4 year college, his parents will find that the community college option was much cheaper than going to a 4 year school. On top of that, if he does get a 4 year degree, no one will question how he got it because in most cases these days, the community college courses are just as demanding as the 4 year schools. Otherwise, the 4 year school would not allow the student to transfer.

I followed the 2 year -> 4 year school route and never looked back. To be honest, it was one of the best things I ever did. On top of the fact that they allowed me to start school when it was convient for me, I also learned where some of my strengths and weaknesses were. The class sizes were also smaller so I had the individual attention I needed.

If I were to meet this person and his family, I would tell them that they are better off anyways.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2006, 11:59 am

I flunked out of Reed College in 1958. Looking back, I was going into severe meltdown. I started back up via correspondence courses, then a course or two - per semester - at San Francisco State - then the local Community College, City College of San Francisco. Because it was local and I lived at home (parents' basement - always the pioneer in alternative living styles?) I could also work at the Post Office and save money.

I transferred all my credits to New Mexico State University and graduated in 1964. So - it may be a slower process, but it suited my very well indeed. Like going up a gentle set of stairs rather than mountain climbing.

Quincunx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2006, 12:20 pm

Aaah...Reed. I plan to go there after 1.5-2 years at Stanford. There or Swarthmore.

Kind regards,
Chris

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2006, 10:12 pm

That really sucks when that happens. I mean, in some state colleges in Washington, some people don't get in because they have a higher IQ than another person, and then they say that it's a "diversity" issue. I don't believe that a person that works that hard should have to go to another school just because they had a higher IQ than another person, trying to make the campus more "diverse" than it was before. It could be, however, that that kid could take some of his essentials from the community college, and then later go and get his math degree, which is a possibility as well. Some people save a fortune on college that way. That would still make me angry, though.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

voss749
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2006, 2:04 pm

Community colleges are great

1) Smaller class sizes
2) they often have regular instructors not teaching assistants
3) In a state like florida an AA degree from a florida community college will ensure your
acceptance into ANY state university in FL.
4) They are cheaper.
5) Easier to park

Dorms are overrated and I suspect aspie people dont do that well in dorms anyway.

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2006, 2:42 pm

I went to a two-year community college before being accepted into NJIT. And nobody knew I had AS or anything, though I was in a specialized class during my first semester in the community college due to me having been in a school for special needs before. They didn't diagnose AS that much at this time.

I don't see anything wrong with community colleges. The work there is much easier, and the class sizes are relatively smaller. They also may have special programs to help people who may be on the autistic spectrum as well as having other difficulties. Four-year colleges may not be so open to something like that.

- Ray M -