teen arrested for listening to rap music

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:32 pm

tweety_fan wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-freaky/teen-nathan-wilkie-arrested-for-playing-offensive-rap-music-from-car/story-e6frflri-1225837535956

this is a first.

The only way this could happen in the U.S. is if the music were being played too loudly and it was disturbing the peace. Fortunately we do not yet have laws governing content of music in the U.S. But I would not count on that being the case forever.

ruveyn

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 12:50 am

I would comment that we do not have total freedom of speech in this world.

Am I allowed to yell "Fire" in a crowded cinema ? Also how many of the aspies here tolerate a CD of an anti-AS rapper singing about how he wants to do XYZ to aspies being played out of the windows of a car parked outside the head quarters of the international aspie association during an autism meet up combined with AGM ?

I am no prude but I would say that some modern music flunks the obscenity test big time

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

radiohead234
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2010, 10:34 am

Well he should have had his windows rolled up, but getting arrested is still a bit extreme...

rjgarn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2010, 2:21 pm

Its a pretty extreme action to take, and it's definitely going a bit to far by the western standards of free expression and speech. However, blasting loud music can be pretty annoying to anyone outside the car (or inside in some cases). But keep in mind, this is a teenager we're talking about here, and challenging the status quo in particularly obnoxious ways is something that teens are noted for doing (and they have been doing this since the dawn of civilization). When I hang out with some of my younger friends, they often do blast loud and borderline offensive music out onto the street when they are driving, while I personally don't care for it all, I don't object to them doing it, because its one of those special things about being a youth. Most of them (75%) grow out of it around 20...

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 3:45 pm

An emo hip hop fan? That's a first.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

08 Apr 2010, 10:36 am

How is this different from playing overly loud music in your apartment? It's not the content, it's the "overly loud" part. Basically, you have no right to disturb people. It would be the same if I was playing Mozart too loud or whatever.

The problem wasn't "listening to music". The problem was disturbing people.

At the same time, arresting someone for this is a bit heavy-handed, isn't it? Give the kid a ticket if you have to. Don't arrest him. Jeez.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 5:51 pm

Australia just lost the freedom of speech..... I'm sorry for your inconceivable loss.......... :cry:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 5:16 am

Stone_Man wrote:
How is this different from playing overly loud music in your apartment? It's not the content, it's the "overly loud" part. Basically, you have no right to disturb people. It would be the same if I was playing Mozart too loud or whatever.

The problem wasn't "listening to music". The problem was disturbing people.

At the same time, arresting someone for this is a bit heavy-handed, isn't it? Give the kid a ticket if you have to. Don't arrest him. Jeez.

Read the article again, it specifically mentions that the charge had to do with the content of the music, not just the volume.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 5:52 am

phil777 wrote:
Descartes wrote:
The police could have simply asked him to roll up his windows and/or turn the music down, but to arrest him seems pretty extreme. I don't particularly care for rap, and I especially don't want to overhear obscene song lyrics being blasted from someone's car, but I wouldn't want that person to be arrested for it.

i endorse this.

me too

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2010, 7:44 am

He has a right to listen to what ever he wants even If you don't like it.
" I disagree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" ? - Voltaire
He does not have a right to blast music out of his car. But arresting him seems kinda absurd.

kreb1958
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2010, 10:24 am

That reminds me of a scene in Start Trek 4 film Voyage Home, where Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock were in a bus to find the whale. In same bus was a punk with a stereo blasting loudly, annoying everyone else. Mr. Spock applies his famous vulcan nerve pinch to the punk!

There is a clip here:--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYU7LhaYYek

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm

There is no indication in the article the police ever asked him to roll up his windows or lower the volume; the only circumstances in which it would be appropriate for the authorities to get involved at all in his listening to music is if it was so loud as to be a nuisance, something easily solved by turning down the volume or rolling up the windows. But arresting him for the contents of the lyrics he's listening to is arresting him for a thought crime, and that the police can arrest someone at a whim for listening to perfectly legal music.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).