if you had over a BILLION DOLLARS!! ! whoopie!

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 1:49 am

if i were that rich i would buy an island out of sight of the mainland. preferably off the coasts of north america. i would be a sugardaddy. aspies welcome! no meanies allowed. it would be the headquarters of my world charity devoted to curing what-ails-one. there would be no cars, walking 'round the joint would keep one fit as a fiddle. it would look a lot like what gilligans island looked like on tv. it would be as happy a place as i could make it, a neverland on steroids for aspies. there would be a space-needle-like tower on the island to see far off into the distance, to scope-out ships passing in the ocean mists. there'd be an olympic-sized pool in a natatorium, as well as an outdoor freshwater splash/wading pool big enough to float a yacht in. it would have its own little hospital. a gourmet restaurant with free food. there would be a harbor with boats and rides available at all hours. helecopter trips 'round the island and to the mainland. no dress code- clothing would be optional. i would make a dress out of money and walk around in drag. i would do whatever the hell i wanted to do. it would be like in the movie "the adding machine" where the guy died and went to a beachfront heaven where everything was free or cheap. ah, what a life.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 2:00 am

Well, I'd probably first spend about 5 years traveling the world and partying. While I'm out and about, I'd have my dream house built about 10 miles southwest of Corvallis, OR, complete with my own, personal lab. Once I'm back, I'd spend a great deal of time working with the people at OSU to research things of my own interest.

I'd also spend quite a lot on incredibly elaborate practical jokes. Probably also do things like get minimum wage jobs to mess with people that treat that class of workers with disdain, and help out those I see in need that deserve it (or at least fit in my admittedly fallible judgment of deserving help).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 3:16 am

DNForrest wrote:
Well, I'd probably first spend about 5 years traveling the world and partying. While I'm out and about, I'd have my dream house built about 10 miles southwest of Corvallis, OR, complete with my own, personal lab. Once I'm back, I'd spend a great deal of time working with the people at OSU to research things of my own interest.
I'd also spend quite a lot on incredibly elaborate practical jokes. Probably also do things like get minimum wage jobs to mess with people that treat that class of workers with disdain, and help out those I see in need that deserve it (or at least fit in my admittedly fallible judgment of deserving help).

one of the prime benefits of being super rich is that you can bring the world to you on a silver platter! helping the minimum-wagers is noble. am curious- what sort of lab work would you be doing? just wondering... also, what would be the nature of the dream house?

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 3:37 am

I would set up a scholarship fund for people with ASD or are disadvantaged

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 3:52 am

Friskeygirl wrote:
I would set up a scholarship fund for people with ASD or are disadvantaged

how noble that you said charity right off the bat, whereas i talked mostly about feathering my nest.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 4:46 am

I'm thinking decommed oil rig in international waters, CNC manufacturing lines, and a global exchange of socially frowned upon commodities. I'm trying to decide if it would make more sense to run it as a destination for the well heeled vice seeker, a more professional operation profiting from the arbitrage, or more of a seasteading community for the similarly authority averse, perhaps a combination of the three. Regardless I'd use the income to finance my own R&D projects that would be legally perilous elsewhere, and to run my own unique brand of charity and influence.

23enigma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2010, 5:47 am

First id spend a lot of it on a TB-303, a Moog Minimoog, an access virus, an SH-101 and a Juno 60 :) then id give the rest to charity! :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:20 am

I'd buy myself a big mansion, that would serve as an apartment block for people on the spectrum, who wish to live an independent life. Rent would be $100 a month, because I think that money should be spent on prized possessions, and not stolen from a person's hands. The $100 a month, from each of the tenants will in turn, be used to cook them a variety of nutritious home-cooked meals. There would be free cable and Internet, along with free routers, for tenants who own laptops. There would also be a free cleaning service, for the tenants who need it. The icing on the cake, is that I'd live in the same building. :idea:

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:34 am

I would own myself:

- a mansion
- my own land is possible
- Save some of the money
- Get a collection of cars
- Get married

You have copied my thread... :wink: but turned it into a billion. Now that's awesome. :D

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:55 am

A couple of bankers would take care of it. I would live as I do, but with more spontaneous online shopping and less worrying.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 6:18 pm

auntblabby wrote:

one of the prime benefits of being super rich is that you can bring the world to you on a silver platter! helping the minimum-wagers is noble. am curious- what sort of lab work would you be doing? just wondering... also, what would be the nature of the dream house?

Just whatever I felt was necessary for the random ideas I've been hoarding for the past quarter of a century. The house would be one that I've been designing in my head for about 5 years. Kind of a large two-story hexagon with a 3-story tower in the center, with about a 10-foot space between the tower and hexagonal part for trees and whatnot. The tower would serve as both a place to eat and as an observatory with a large telescope. The southern-most side of the hexagonal part would be a a single room with a high, glass ceiling and wall that goes up to the same level as the second floor parts of the rest of it, where I'd keep a personal library.

The lab would most likely be a separate, semi-hidden building in the woods, and it would be about half lab-space, half workshop for building things. Off the top of my head, the lab would probably contain an HPLC, DMA, TGA, DSC, TA Instruments AR2000EX Rheometer, Twin-Screw Extruder, Absorption Spectrometer, Plasma Emission Spectrometer, Sputter Coater, Scanning Electron Microscope, Barrel Plasma Chamber, Mass Spectrometer, and who knows what else. So it would mostly involve testing the physical aspects of materials (somewhat my specialty).

One other thing I'd do is buy my advising professor all-new lab equipment for his on-campus lab, and help him set up a large amount of scholarships. He specializes in helping women, minorities, and ASD folks into the engineering program, and he has helped me such an incredible amount over the past 5 years. Come to think of it, I'd probably pay for an entirely new Chemical Engineering building for OSU. The one we're in now was built in the 1940s, so we could really use a new one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:18 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'd buy myself a big mansion, that would serve as an apartment block for people on the spectrum, who wish to live an independent life. Rent would be $100 a month, because I think that money should be spent on prized possessions, and not stolen from a person's hands. The $100 a month, from each of the tenants will in turn, be used to cook them a variety of nutritious home-cooked meals. There would be free cable and Internet, along with free routers, for tenants who own laptops. There would also be a free cleaning service, for the tenants who need it. The icing on the cake, is that I'd live in the same building. :idea:

would you object to any of your "tenants" calling you a sugardaddy?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 9:20 pm

DNForrest wrote:
Off the top of my head, the lab would probably contain an HPLC, DMA, TGA, DSC, TA Instruments AR2000EX Rheometer, Twin-Screw Extruder, Absorption Spectrometer, Plasma Emission Spectrometer, Sputter Coater, Scanning Electron Microscope, Barrel Plasma Chamber, Mass Spectrometer, and who knows what else. So it would mostly involve testing the physical aspects of materials (somewhat my specialty).
Come to think of it, I'd probably pay for an entirely new Chemical Engineering building for OSU. The one we're in now was built in the 1940s, so we could really use a new one.

wow.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:01 pm

Realistically, only a small fraction of that money would be enough for all my material wants. So, the first few million: I'd go travelling first, beginning with a leisurely train journey from Portugal to Russia. I'd go to India and China at some point. I'd buy property in Spain, Scotland and Switzerland and maybe alternate living in the three places. I'd spend my time painting, reading, writing.
The rest of the money, I'd have to think of what to donate it to or do with it, I'd have to take some time to think it through.

DNForrest wrote:
Off the top of my head, the lab would probably contain an HPLC, DMA, TGA, DSC, TA Instruments AR2000EX Rheometer, Twin-Screw Extruder, Absorption Spectrometer, Plasma Emission Spectrometer, Sputter Coater, Scanning Electron Microscope, Barrel Plasma Chamber, Mass Spectrometer, and who knows what else. So it would mostly involve testing the physical aspects of materials (somewhat my specialty).
Come to think of it, I'd probably pay for an entirely new Chemical Engineering building for OSU. The one we're in now was built in the 1940s, so we could really use a new one.

Hey, if you get the money and need a rheology assistant (I've also done SEM), I'd apply for the position... Actually, I considered applying to OSU for a PhD...

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 10:08 pm

get like an island or something and live, quietly
away from annoying people and cars and noise
I'd give some to a hospital I went to when I crushed my finger
other then that it'd be all mine, AS never did anything for me and I'll never do anything for it

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2010, 10:11 pm

I'd buy an island, and only folks with AS/autism could live there. And their family members, if they are tolerant and nice. :lol: