Page 5 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 11:05 am

willmark wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
Today for example, in religious studies we watched the opening sequence to saving private Ryan because we are starting a unit on war and peace, and on one part there were a group of men running around set on fire, and when I saw it I instantly had an image of the human torch from fantastic four and I had to try my best not to laugh. The scene in the film was very violent and serious but I was thinking about the fantastic four character when he's on fire and I found it too comical.

Good to know I'm not the only one who goes through this. What you are talking about, I call associative memory, where something related is brought to mind, and the associated item is funny, and when everyone else is dead serious you are biting your tongue to keep from laughing out loud. I go through something like this with idioms. The other day a guy was telling me that trying to learn anything from a particular professor was like trying to get a cup of water out of a fire hydrant, and I get this mental image of Mickey Mouse strolling up to a fire hydrant, tin cup in hand, and getting blown totally out of the scene by the water pressure from the fire hydrant. The guy must have been frustrated with my response. He was really upset, but the mental image of his comparison, made it really difficult for me to keep a straight face.

I can relate to those experiences as well. Recently there was this catastrophe in Smoleńsk, Russia on April the 10th, which took the lives of 96 people, including the most prominent politicians from our country, including the president and his wife. (The national mourning became a national hysteria, the deceased president, though hated and mocked when still alive, was raised to status of some sort of martyr thanks to his "heroic" death - he was going to the Katyń massacre anniversary celebration when the accident took place). Making the long story short, when the first 30 coffins with the bodies of the victims arrived in Poland and were being brought out of the plane to the acompaniament of a funeral march, I imagined that some prankster exchanged the CD with this sad music for something more cheerful, for example Macarena. I imagined the coffins being carried to the cheerful tunes of Macarena and couldn't help but giggled. Mother was very angry but I found this thought really funny.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 12:25 pm

willmark wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
Today for example, in religious studies we watched the opening sequence to saving private Ryan because we are starting a unit on war and peace, and on one part there were a group of men running around set on fire, and when I saw it I instantly had an image of the human torch from fantastic four and I had to try my best not to laugh. The scene in the film was very violent and serious but I was thinking about the fantastic four character when he's on fire and I found it too comical.

Good to know I'm not the only one who goes through this. What you are talking about, I call associative memory, where something related is brought to mind, and the associated item is funny, and when everyone else is dead serious you are biting your tongue to keep from laughing out loud. I go through something like this with idioms. The other day a guy was telling me that trying to learn anything from a particular professor was like trying to get a cup of water out of a fire hydrant, and I get this mental image of Mickey Mouse strolling up to a fire hydrant, tin cup in hand, and getting blown totally out of the scene by the water pressure from the fire hydrant. The guy must have been frustrated with my response. He was really upset, but the mental image of his comparison, made it really difficult for me to keep a straight face.

I was watching a program about the police force not long ago and they were searching a house for drugs, and they used the phrase "combing the kitchen". Well that made me laugh out loud because I thought of the policemen holding little combs and running them down the cupboards like they had hair.
I quite like associative thinking and visual thinking because my brain comes up with funny things. But it's not always good when it's a serious situation though of course :lol:

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 12:48 pm

A few days ago, a co-worker told me she was upset because a close friend of hers had landed in the hospital, and I got this mental image of a woman falling from the sky, bursting through the roof and landing in a hospital bed, nearly bouncing out of the bed after the impact. I think I did manage to give her a sympathetic look, but it was difficult.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 12:51 pm

:lmao:

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2010, 5:10 pm

MONKEY wrote:
And like the OP I never knew there was another way to think other than in pictures or in my case moving images like a film.

Actually I think in moving images too. In fact I have always assumed that everyone who thinks in pictures thought in moving images, and that anyone who thinks in pictures is also able to visualize things three dimensionally and turn the item around in their mind to look at it from different perspectives, but then I have never taken a survey to discover if in fact that is true.

I noticed how several people are commenting they thought everyone was this way until they got older and compared notes to discover that some or many are different. I was just going to comment that this is normal. All children assume everyone else is like them until they get older and discover differently. Even children who are abused, assume every other child they know gets the same treatment at home as their abusive parents are giving them, until the first time they visit the home of a friend whose parents are kind. I thought you would like to know that on this attribute, you are normal.

Have you ever read this article? http://www.apdukclub.apduk.org/HTMLobj- ... ctures.pdf
I have referred to it before on this forum, but I'll mention it again. This is a description of neurotypical children who think in pictures. I thought you might discover you have some things in common with them.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 10:06 am

willmark wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
And like the OP I never knew there was another way to think other than in pictures or in my case moving images like a film.

Actually I think in moving images too. In fact I have always assumed that everyone who thinks in pictures thought in moving images, and that anyone who thinks in pictures is also able to visualize things three dimensionally and turn the item around in their mind to look at it from different perspectives, but then I have never taken a survey to discover if in fact that is true.

I noticed how several people are commenting they thought everyone was this way until they got older and compared notes to discover that some or many are different. I was just going to comment that this is normal. All children assume everyone else is like them until they get older and discover differently. Even children who are abused, assume every other child they know gets the same treatment at home as their abusive parents are giving them, until the first time they visit the home of a friend whose parents are kind. I thought you would like to know that on this attribute, you are normal.

Have you ever read this article? http://www.apdukclub.apduk.org/HTMLobj- ... ctures.pdf
I have referred to it before on this forum, but I'll mention it again. This is a description of neurotypical children who think in pictures. I thought you might discover you have some things in common with them.

I related to a lot of this, not all, but a lot of it.
It describes my learning style pretty well.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 10:14 am

MONKEY wrote:
I related to a lot of this, not all, but a lot of it.
It describes my learning style pretty well.

Yeah. Mine too.

My compliments. You seem to know yourself very well.