Do you do things without thinking/stupid stuff?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 10:30 am

My mom had dog food well it was laying on its side and I went to open it and mom said I needed to stop and think not to open it that way. I stood up for myself saying I don't know how to think and I always do things without thinking etc. My mom said well then you're going to be here for the next 20 years so go ahead and not think! (That was her comeback.) :-( So I was curious do any other Aspies say/do stupid stuff or do things without thinking?

Barbary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2010, 10:40 am

All the time and I always feel bad about it. I always do stupid things without thinking, and then realize that I could have done something else so simply.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 10:55 am

Sometimes.

Pointless
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2010, 11:00 am

Very, very often.
So I´m doing many things wrong and some people even think that I am partly ret*d

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 11:05 am

I was making coffee at my clubhouse, one time. I forgot to put the coffee grinds in the machine. One of my closest friends got very annoyed with me, and said, "You're making tea, from now on!! !" :lol:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Mar 2010, 5:29 pm

I tend to over-think everything that I do but people still accuse me of doing/saying things without thinking first. :?

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 5:36 pm

I often overthink when making a conscious decision.

But on the other hand, I often also do stupid things more "out of habit" than conciousness. If something is an action I am used to taking, I can do it without thinking but might possibly miss something very obvious in the doing so (like zeldapsychology's can opening). It makes me feel rediculously terrible when I realize what I've done and more often than not there is someone else there who can't possibly understand why I did something so stupid and their accusations and scolding of me makes me feel even worse :(

Happens all the time.

My mom must have told me/other people hundreds of times that I have "no common sense"

For me, its almost as if I am drunk or half asleep all the time. I feel disconnected and its hard to focus on real life. The things other people may percieve as obvious can often escape me completely. I often see the world through a fog and am only dimly aware of its existence. The thoughts in my head can, at any given time, superimpose visions over the "real" objects that my eyes are supposed to be seeing. That isn't quite the right way to describe everything.. but it's as close as I can come :S. Anyway, I think thats why I do stupid things.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 9:21 pm

sometimes I think too much
other times too little.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2010, 10:59 pm

Quite often.

Usually it's cause I open my big mouth without thinking about what I'm going to say beforehand.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 5:43 am

Yep. My brain doesn't take into account all the factors in a situation, which I think is to do with perceiving things as discrete rather than unified- I simply can't take in every little detail; and it leads to me doing things that show "no common sense".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 6:42 am

My processes are usually very convoluted......

And at other times, others processes seem very complicated and illogical.

It is usually with hindsight, that I think "Well, there could have been an easier way".

Mics

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 7:35 am

Sometimes I do that... especially when I'm in a meltdown, I sometimes don't realise what I say to people or what I do can upset some people and I end up eventually really regretting it and sometimes getting upset over my actions.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:19 am

All.the.time.

I wish it was a marketable trait. :lol:

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 8:59 am

Tend to go a long way around to find a simple solution sometimes. Other times find a solution to a complex problem very quickly. It's like being in a semi daydream most of the time ,out of which you come into very sharp focus.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:33 am

There was this one day when I was working, that my supervisor wasn't in the truck, with us, and the driver and I were talking about Lisa. I said something sarcastic to the driver, that the supervisor was the silverfish that comes up from my drain. Looking back, I wish that I didn't say that. I will be going back to that job, with on a clean slate, in two weeks.