What's the 1 thing you wish other people knew?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:57 am

That different people are interesting, not frightening.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 3:52 am

I wish everyone had built-in AS radar. I think that would make life a little more bearable.

KansasFound
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2010, 8:35 am

I don't know if starting this thread threw this question upon me, but I was asked this twice yesterday by two different people at the end of a presentation. I, again, was unable to answer.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 10:49 am

In just a few words: I am different, not less.

ruveyn

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 9:56 am

That me being on the dole for 2 and a half years does not mean I'm being lazy. It is caused by poor motivation, anxiety, depression, and very low self-esteem. And before anyone joins the criticising game, I'll have you know I do lots of voluntary work to help build my confidence - but it hasn't helped. I seem more anxious than ever. And medication - forget it. It doesn't work on me. Maybe I've got a type of mind where whatever I try to do, I get pushed back even further.

k2magic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm

Jingo8 wrote:
I'm trying harder than they will ever realise.

this ^^^ there are so many things but this is the biggest because unless you have the disorder you cant really know what its like and how much i have to work for the simplest things.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

30 Mar 2011, 12:46 pm

That an invisible disability is nevertheless a disability.

That a disability in someone who's cognitively-functional or even exceptional is NEVERTHELESS A DISABILITY.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

That it would be a mistake to take my special interests away from me, or try to get me to change and be like everybody.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 1:38 pm

That just about any instant judgement they can make about me, is likely wrong. Because I operate on a very different set of abilities and difficulties than most people, and even those abilities and difficulties are not stable. I become very sick of what I call "assumption ping-pong" when I first get to know people, it's one of the biggest barriers to getting to know someone. What I mean is they assume one thing, and when I say it's not true, then they go and assume some "opposite" thing that is no more true, and if they even stick around and trust me long enough (which many don't bother with), it takes a long time to get to the truth about who I am. It's much better if they would just not make assumptions about the rest of my life based on one small aspect of my life at one particular moment.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

k2magic wrote:
Jingo8 wrote:

this ^^^ there are so many things but this is the biggest because unless you have the disorder you cant really know what its like and how much i have to work for the simplest things.

+1

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:36 pm

I know the world can't revolve around me, but if I had my way I would make sure the government don't cut back my bus service - the bus service in which I use every day and is also my obsession, enjoyment, relaxation, and.....can't think of any other synonyms.

Last edited by Joe90 on 31 Mar 2011, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 12:50 am

Jingo8 wrote:

This is what I wish others knew about me too :(

DarrylZero
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 2:40 am

Just because I make an observation it doesn't mean I've made a value judgement about what I've observed.

Xenia
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2011, 6:07 am

That I often really want to connect with someone but I don't know how to do it

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2011, 5:29 pm

That my cheerful, helpful, enthusiastic demeanour is a carefully constructed act that I've assembled over many years and that it really does tire me out to maintain it all the time. It's a fine balance - the right level of humour, while being careful not to make jokes that would be deemed inappropriate; the right level of enthusiasm, because being too upbeat during times of stress or grief is a social disaster. Make eye contact and make small talk, but don't go too far by staring or gibbering. Moderate your opinions, because what seems eminently sensible to you seems to upset some people.

I need social interaction, but too much is almost painful.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2011, 12:46 am

I wish people knew not to try to talk to me while I'm watching something or typing, but instead ask me to pause or stop first. I can't pay attention to two things at the same time.