Staying on-task during class - Tips and tricks

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TheCaityCat
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2010, 3:56 pm

I need help with this. Medication and taking notes only help while there's actually something to take notes on. There are a lot of lulls and breaks during class, and my instructor has decided that we can't be "off task" during these times. No doodling, no computer games, no checking email, nothing that could be considered disrespectful. I have plenty of other complaints about this class/instructor, but that's another post entirely that may or may not belong here.

It's hard enough to remain on task when there IS something to take notes on. It suffices to say that I'm not the only one having trouble with this.

If it helps, I'm in grad school.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 2:00 am

During labs, the instructors ask that we refrain from going on facebook, but they have no problem with us listening to iPods or the radio online while we do our assignments.
Durng lectures, our notes are our notes, and we can doodle while writing notes.I doodle and write notes at the same time...it HELPS me learn since doodling lessens the overload as to what if feels to me.I need to multitask while working, or I lose my attention span.Id be working on 3 different documents at once during labs because it helps me stay focused.
I am a second year legal assistant student.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

GreyThorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2010, 3:04 am

I'm a big fan of Silly Putty. It allowed me to keep my attention on the professor, take notes when needed with my free hand, and sit still/stay on task during lulls because I could still be moving one hand and manipulating the silly putty. It was discreet enough (as long as you don't make bubbles to pop) that rarely did anyone else notice I had it with me. I found it to be a huge help in getting through college as it allowed me to bleed off extra energy/distracting inner thoughts, and was grounding in a way so that I could handle overload better when it happened. I always had a pack of it 'living' in the pocket of my backpack.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 4:25 am

Great idea with the silly putty.

I have a squeezee ball here that I found in a chemist that I adore. It's got, like, slime inside & little soft plastic spikes on the outside.
I also have some 'thinking putty' mail ordered ..

I'm about to post a similar post on a slightly different subject here, too, in the forum. I thought maybe someone will have some good ideas there too.

A Thursday child ..