I'm trying to find autism in mythology and folklore.

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 11:26 pm

The Golden Age Greeks wrote of the Muses. Credited with being the source of all art and engineering.

To look upon the gods directly caused madness. It still does. The Muses were intermediate spirits, that only made people partly mad, for a while.

Being with your Muse was described, people got such a strong idea that they did not respond to the world, eat, sleep, bathe, as they worked with all their energy on something, till they fell into sleep, still dressed, then awoke to start again. This continued till they were done, at which point they became people again. It was advised to just leave food and drink near, not to speak to them, for the gifts of the gods were to be honored.

The Greeks said everything of great perfection came this way. All of the Epic works. The Muses chose few, and those without were pitied, they could do ordinary work, but great works took having a Muse.

The Muses were named for the gifts they brought, song, poetry, music, seven in all I think. Wiki your Muse.

As a group they were Deamons, less than gods, more than men. Having one was considered the greatest gift of the gods, to be chosen to bring knowledge and beauty into the world.

I see a lot of autism in the description, and wonder at the Greeks who were wise enough to look at the gifts, and accept the people who brought them.

In fact, it was also an honor to be their Patron, to protect and care for those the gods had chosen. It was considered a joint venture with the gods, supporting their work on earth. Hence, a very high form of worship.

According to the Greeks this system worked well. Everyone shared in the gifts, the person with a Muse was cared for, for they were reused by the gods and needed to be kept in good shape between obsessions, when they were just ordinary people. If you knew, you could tell they had been touched by the gods, for they did have some traits that only they shared. They talked to the unseen when alone.

Mostly they were common people, good only at one thing, but very good at that, and another thing was, the doors of the richest and most powerful were always open to them, for they brought messages that should be heard. They were always first to bring forth the new ideas.

From the gods, through the Muses, to who they chose, then to men. Wise men listened, for this fool speaks the message of the gods.

Carmel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Mar 2010, 3:19 am

For me, the tale of Echo and Narcissus speaks of autism. Echo could only repeat what others said; Narcissus fell in love with his reflection in a pool, not realizing it was himself. Both were seen to be 'cursed by the gods.' Maybe ancient peoples invented myths to explain what they couldn't understand? This one strikes me as a way of 'explaining' why people who otherwise looked 'normal' and attractive displayed autistic traits: an inability to use language to communicate; an 'obsession.'

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2010, 4:06 am

Narcissus was Narcissistic.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 5:32 am

Inventor, that was really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Electric_Spaghetti
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2010, 6:07 am

In Scottish Mythology beings called "Selkies" lived most of their lives as seals but occasionally came onto land, where they shed their seal skins and assumed human form. There are legends of male Selkies seducing women and then returning to take the resulting offspring off to sea, and of female Selkies being taken as wives by human men.

In these stories a young man sees a group of maidens dancing naked on a beach at night. He hides to watch them and sees that when they are finished, they put on seal skins, transform, and return to the sea. Some time later he sees them again and steals one of their skins. At daybreak he finds a beautiful young woman, one of the Selkies, on the beech. He takes her home and cares for her, and is advised by a village elder that if he wants to keep her he must burn her seal skin so she can never return to her own kind. He can't bear to do this and hides the skin instead. Eventually he marries her and they have children, but she always seems unhappy. One day the man comes home to find his wife gone- she's found her seal skin and returned to the sea. In some versions she takes her children with her, in others they remain. In these versions their descendants are sometimes credited with having second sight and/or an exceptional knowledge of healing. Webbed hands and feet also crop up occasionally. Like the changeling stories it wouldn't surprise me if the legend of the Selkie didn't arise to explain the occasional appearance of children who were born deformed or who seemed alien.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 6:34 am

Electric_Spaghetti wrote:
In Scottish Mythology beings called "Selkies" lived most of their lives as seals but occasionally came onto land, where they shed their seal skins and assumed human form. There are legends of male Selkies seducing women and then returning to take the resulting offspring off to sea, and of female Selkies being taken as wives by human men.

In these stories a young man sees a group of maidens dancing naked on a beach at night. He hides to watch them and sees that when they are finished, they put on seal skins, transform, and return to the sea. Some time later he sees them again and steals one of their skins. At daybreak he finds a beautiful young woman, one of the Selkies, on the beech. He takes her home and cares for her, and is advised by a village elder that if he wants to keep her he must burn her seal skin so she can never return to her own kind. He can't bear to do this and hides the skin instead. Eventually he marries her and they have children, but she always seems unhappy. One day the man comes home to find his wife gone- she's found her seal skin and returned to the sea. In some versions she takes her children with her, in others they remain. In these versions their descendants are sometimes credited with having second sight and/or an exceptional knowledge of healing. Webbed hands and feet also crop up occasionally. Like the changeling stories it wouldn't surprise me if the legend of the Selkie didn't arise to explain the occasional appearance of children who were born deformed or who seemed alien.

John Sayles used this beautifully in his film The Secret of Roan Inish.

Kewona
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Mar 2010, 10:32 am

Hey, suggestion: why don't we expand this topic to modern stories as well, instead of just mythology? Cause I heard someone mentioning some charaters he claimed were aspies: Sherlock Holmes. And Doctor House, who was supposedly inspired by Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:
Some of the prophets in the Old Testament display spectrum like tendencies. The level of detail in descriptions of buildings not yet built, but only imagined, that you see in the Torah, the precision of food laws etc. I'm not saying Moses was aspie, but you can certainly see how those particular traits helped form a nation... if they hadn't had those rigid food laws in the middle of a desert they'd have died.

Allow me to nitpick: this is assuming they ever spent so much time in the desert in the first place. I believe it's a common criticism that such a journey, even at that time, would have taken 10 days, not 40 years. And I'm also sceptical that those food laws did any good at all..

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 12:16 pm

I've often heard that the "fairy changling" was actual early reports of autism.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 1:21 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I've often heard that the "fairy changling" was actual early reports of autism.

Yes it was many children died from parents believing their children were not their own or possessed by a spirit.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 2:31 pm

Interesting topic. :D

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 5:29 pm

hmm i always thaught that in the dark ages aspys would end up as hermits or monks. that isn't realy mythology though.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 6:13 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
hmm i always thaught that in the dark ages aspys would end up as hermits or monks. that isn't realy mythology though.

Most that weren't killed by their parents or the church were consider Demons, Elves, Fairies, or Trolls.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:09 pm

Kewona wrote:
Hey, suggestion: why don't we expand this topic to modern stories as well, instead of just mythology?

There is always a zillion of threads about that.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:36 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Kewona wrote:
Hey, suggestion: why don't we expand this topic to modern stories as well, instead of just mythology?

There is always a zillion of threads about that.

I guess we could but I was hoping to find at least what other cultures thought of us before they knew about us.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 1:49 am

Prometheus?

Postures
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 1:55 am

This is more fairy tale than mythology but the Groke from the Moomins is an Aspie imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Groke