I'm trying to find autism in mythology and folklore.

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 10:40 am

Sadly all I come up with is change-lings.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 10:58 am

I proposed the idea of autistic as archetypal wise fool once-got some interesting responses.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:11 am

The Wise Fool

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:17 am

Check out the Lear Legend - the daughter rejected for plain unadorned speaking. Look also at all the cases where the despised dumbbell younger brother or sister wins out while the strong ands "clever hang themselves. They are not all cripples.

There is surely more, but it will takew a bit of thought.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:22 am

The 0 card in the tarot? Maybe the hermit (card 9).

Personally, I think aspies probably invented mythology and folklore :-)

Some folks reckon that the traditional job of shaman was filled by aspies/auties. I can see that.

I'm going to rack my brain now for more examples. Good thread!

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 11:26 am

Moog wrote:
The 0 card in the tarot? Maybe the hermit (card 9).

Personally, I think aspies probably invented mythology and folklore :-)

Some folks reckon that the traditional job of shaman was filled by aspies/auties. I can see that.

I'm going to rack my brain now for more examples. Good thread!

In the autism reality video a shaman said that our autism is like a license to go down a red path.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:40 pm

Red paths are scary.
I see red paths in my mind and I automatically see bushes and the place I have been (South Africa) where those red paths are, there are people who steal automobiles from other people after they jump from the bushes.
They usually have guns, they make things easier.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm

ursaminor wrote:
Red paths are scary.
I see red paths in my mind and I automatically see bushes and the place I have been (South Africa) where those red paths are, there are people who steal automobiles from other people after they jump from the bushes.
They usually have guns, they make things easier.

I don't really think thats what he meant.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:44 pm

What's a red path ?

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:55 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
What's a red path ?

I'm not really sure.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 12:57 pm

A Red Path is like shamanism, mainly Native American.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 1:04 pm

idiocratik wrote:
A Red Path is like shamanism, mainly Native American.

Thanks for telling me I was about to look it up lol.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 2:29 pm

I always thought of the Goddess Artemis (Greek mythology- otherwise known as Diana) as being kind of Aspie. I associated myself with her when I was younger. (I am definitely NOT a woman who comes from Venus). Artemis was a loner who lived by herself in the wilderness, loved animals, never married.

I have also read that it is believed that shamans and oracles were autistic.

I´ll try to think of more examples.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 2:40 pm

Some of the prophets in the Old Testament display spectrum like tendencies. The level of detail in descriptions of buildings not yet built, but only imagined, that you see in the Torah, the precision of food laws etc. I'm not saying Moses was aspie, but you can certainly see how those particular traits helped form a nation... if they hadn't had those rigid food laws in the middle of a desert they'd have died. The whole invention of quarantine in the Torah as well. And some of the later prophets as well... I think of Jeremiah, who was compelled to tell the truth despite immense opposition, who, from the sound of it, had only one friend in his life. He said that if he didn't fulfill his mission he felt like his bones burned within him... he continued with his truth telling even at the bottom of a well.

Of course, people did take things much more literally then than they do now, and I'm not trying to retrospectively diagnose people. Just saying that these men in particular struck me as having spectrum like tendencies.

In Irish faery tale and legend someone who had the "sight" would often fit aspie like tendencies. Even in my own personal knowledge, in rural communities in Ireland people on the spectrum have some respect locally, because folks think they know how they fit in. My mother had a cousin, who everyone thought had the sight... he was actually an autistic savant, so far as I can tell. But the point is, he was normalised, and could fit into life, in his own terms.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 2:43 pm

mgran wrote:
Some of the prophets in the Old Testament display spectrum like tendencies. The level of detail in descriptions of buildings not yet built, but only imagined, that you see in the Torah, the precision of food laws etc. I'm not saying Moses was aspie, but you can certainly see how those particular traits helped form a nation... if they hadn't had those rigid food laws in the middle of a desert they'd have died. The whole invention of quarantine in the Torah as well. And some of the later prophets as well... I think of Jeremiah, who was compelled to tell the truth despite immense opposition, who, from the sound of it, had only one friend in his life. He said that if he didn't fulfill his mission he felt like his bones burned within him... he continued with his truth telling even at the bottom of a well.

Of course, people did take things much more literally then than they do now, and I'm not trying to retrospectively diagnose people. Just saying that these men in particular struck me as having spectrum like tendencies.

In Irish faery tale and legend someone who had the "sight" would often fit aspie like tendencies. Even in my own personal knowledge, in rural communities in Ireland people on the spectrum have some respect locally, because folks think they know how they fit in. My mother had a cousin, who everyone thought had the sight... he was actually an autistic savant, so far as I can tell. But the point is, he was normalised, and could fit into life, in his own terms.

What is "The Sight"?

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 2:54 pm

Oh, sorry... it's people who are believed to have the second sight, or to be sensitive to the other world.