Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 12:10 pm

Could be that the Aspie-Quiz might give you an interesting profile - they break that one down into a number of different areas......maybe there's just one or two areas where you have Aspie traits while the rest are "normal?" But if your main problem is that the questions are hard to answer accurately, then you'd still need somebody to help you answer them.

I think I know what you mean about the questions - they do seem ridiculously glib somehow, and I tended to feel very uncertain about a lot of my answers. But the professional diagnosis involved me writing long answers to questions rather than the hideously reductionist box-ticking thing, and there I at last felt that I was able to tell it like it really was. To my analytical mind, short answers are nearly always distortions of the truth.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 12:33 pm

You're probably just NT with some AS-like personality traits. :)

Having said that, maybe you're mostly NT, but the few AS-like traits you do have are giving you trouble? For example, maybe you're okayish with your social skills, you occasionally take something too literally but otherwise you're fine, you have some things you like to dwell on but it's not an obsession, but you have a severe sensory overload problem? Or some other combination of traits?

By the way, the online tests aren't all that accurate. They seem to be looking for a certain personality type rather than the actual condition. I knew someone with severe Asperger's and he only got a 29 on the Autism Spectrum Quotient.

So yeah, what others said - see a professional, they can assess you better than any online test.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 1:50 pm

Tests are made by people, only people, no Superpower. So if you know what they want to make result (analysis!), you can choose this answer. I know when I choose "AS-answer" and when "NT-answer" (or other types, it depends, and even MMPI is predictable). I can have fun, take some Net-tests and ok, now I'm gonna be antisocial, and then outgoing. But I always take tests first time honestly, even if I know now one point more, now one less! I can make result "ultra-NT" or "normal-NT", but it doesn't tell anything about me.

So if you took them honestly, you're probably NT... or you understood wrong. You should go to professional and be honest, because they also are predictable.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 1:57 pm

Valoyossa wrote:
Tests are made by people, only people, no Superpower. So if you know what they want to make result (analysis!), you can choose this answer. I know when I choose "AS-answer" and when "NT-answer" (or other types, it depends, and even MMPI is predictable). I can have fun, take some Net-tests and ok, now I'm gonna be antisocial, and then outgoing. But I always take tests first time honestly, even if I know now one point more, now one less! I can make result "ultra-NT" or "normal-NT", but it doesn't tell anything about me.

So if you took them honestly, you're probably NT... or you understood wrong. You should go to professional and be honest, because they also are predictable.
It is actually quite difficult for me to answer questions the opposite way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:05 pm

Does that make you happy, or angry?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

Valoyossa wrote:

Very true. I was lucky enough to realise this before I took my first online test, and as I knew almost nothing about the traits in those days, I was careful to resist the temptation to begin studying them until I'd got my first result. Once I'd become familiar with the traits, I felt that all further questionnaires were pretty meaningless.

justMax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 5:14 am

Here's the problem with the tests.

You need to have the right mindset with them, it seems.

You can only take each one once before they are tainted with experience.

You should pick the answer that seems right to you immediately, and move on.

Don't sit and think about things, don't try to answer how you think others would want you to, just pick the first answer that occurs to you, and get through the test briskly.

They are invalidated easily by trying to fit a profile with your answers, whereas your natural/reflex answers are the only useful information towards your psychological state.