Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 1:09 pm

8O ....PHEW! On a busy road right putside of Jersey City my car decides it doesn't want to run. I almost had a heart attack! This never happened to me before. Luckily, there wasn't so much traffic at that hour so I was able to pull off on the shoulder of the road. I was driving 55 mi/hour when I noticed the speed needle drop. I pushed the gas pedal and got nothing. I pulled over on the shoulder. I sat there and could not even get the key out of the ignition, things seemed "locked". I waited 5 minutes and was able to get the key out. I prayed a little bit because I honestly couldn't handle it. :cry: I waited another 10 minutes and tried the car again. This time it started. I went home. I'm afraid to drive it. Has anyone experienced this? I'm lucky I wasn't hit from the back. I drive a '95 Saturn which gets checked out every 4 months. :?: :?:

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 13 Mar 2010, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 1:59 pm

Did you try starting the car again immediately after pulling over? If so, did it just click, did the engine turn and try to start, or did it just do nothing?

Did you check the temperature gauge?

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:08 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Did you try starting the car again immediately after pulling over? If so, did it just click, did the engine turn and try to start, or did it just do nothing?

Did you check the temperature gauge?

I did try to start it up immediately but it would not. I didn't check the temperature gauge - what on your mind about that? I'm sort of a big dummy when it comes to cars but I'm learning fast after the thought that I could've died today. 8O

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:20 pm

When it "would not", does that mean it made a clicking noise, or did it turn over and sound like it was trying to start, or did you just get nothing?

It's possible you overheated and don't know it, in which case driving your car could destroy the engine, which on a 95 Saturn probably means scrapping the car. If it's overheating, you need to know.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:49 pm

Ok... well... here's how it breaks down.

Engine cranked but wouldn't start = probably overheat. Tow your car, do not drive it, to the shop.
Otherwise = probably something else. Drive your car to the shop, but don't use any freeways.

Last edited by MyFutureSelfnMe on 10 Mar 2010, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cricket2731
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2010, 2:50 pm

There are several things that can cause an engine to "up & quit": Bad fuel, which causes a clogged fuel filter. Bad oxygen sensor. Clogged air filter. Malfunctioning fuel filter. Malfunctioning oxygen sensor. Malfunctioning fuel cut-off switch. Low coolant.

I work in a repair shop, & these are the commonest problems I've seen that cause the problem you had.

Hope my ideas helped...

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 2:59 pm

Cricket2731 wrote:
There are several things that can cause an engine to "up & quit": Bad fuel, which causes a clogged fuel filter. Bad oxygen sensor. Clogged air filter. Malfunctioning fuel filter. Malfunctioning oxygen sensor. Malfunctioning fuel cut-off switch. Low coolant.

I work in a repair shop, & these are the commonest problems I've seen that cause the problem you had.

Hope my ideas helped...

Generally none of those things would explain why the car started again after waiting 10 minutes.

I bet the odds are at least 1:3 that her radiator has a hole rusted in it from being driven during the winter, and she ran out of coolant and didn't know it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 3:24 pm

That's one of the two reasons that I don't drive. The other reason is the dangerous drivers.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 3:28 pm

Cars are pretty reliable if you're not driving a 15 year old one.

Electric cars will be even more reliable.

Northern Jersey is a terrible place to not have a car, due to a catch 22 we discussed in another thread. There are much better reasons to not have a car, like the cost.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 3:35 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Northern Jersey is a terrible place to not have a car, due to a catch 22 we discussed in another thread. There are much better reasons to not have a car, like the cost.

Cars that are using the latest Toyota, there is certainly NO way that is reliable when it is going to have stuck accelerators. :(

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 3:51 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

And not being able to process enough information in urban conditions, as is my case. I was fine in rural settings and even on highways.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 4:14 pm

superboyian wrote:
Cars that are using the latest Toyota, there is certainly NO way that is reliable when it is going to have stuck accelerators. :(

I meant relatively speaking, considering that historically, machines this complex required a maintenance team :) Agreed, some of them have issues.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2010, 4:15 pm

PLA wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

And not being able to process enough information in urban conditions, as is my case. I was fine in rural settings and even on highways.

The problem with Northern Jersey is it's urban enough to have bad traffic but rural enough that public transit sucks.

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2010, 4:53 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Cricket2731 wrote:

Hope my ideas helped...

Generally none of those things would explain why the car started again after waiting 10 minutes.

Actually, speaking from experience, a clogged fuel filter will let fuel by after a few minutes. the pressure drops, and the clog loosens up a little and fuel gets by letting you start the car again. in fact it will even do this while driving down the road. sometimes you have to replace it 3 or 4 times to get this to stop.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:20 am

A while back, this car would do a little thing that reminded me of a hiccup while it was being driven. The car mechanic suggested we get a new transmission which we did. Even now, once in a great while, when I put the car in reverse to pull out of a parking space, it "bucks".
Now, to go back to the original post about the car stalling out: the immediate impression I got was I ran out of gas which I didn't.
Adventus mentioned something about a clogged fuel filter that will dislodge even while the car is being driven. I wonder if that was the "hiccup". Could all this have something to do with what happened yesterday too? Now, yesterday, I thought I felt a little hiccup in that car but wasn't really sure if it was something in the road or the car itself. One more thing: a mechanic told me that with this car, when you start it up, you don't need to traditonally press the accelerator. After that 10 minute wait, I DID press the accelerator to start the car and it started. Could this have dislodged the "possible" clog?? Maybe pressing the accelerator to start the car was like doing a Heimlich Maneuver? What do you guys think??

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 11 Mar 2010, 9:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 7:28 am

Adventus wrote:
MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Cricket2731 wrote:

Hope my ideas helped...

Actually, speaking from experience, a clogged fuel filter will let fuel by after a few minutes. the pressure drops, and the clog loosens up a little and fuel gets by letting you start the car again. in fact it will even do this while driving down the road. sometimes you have to replace it 3 or 4 times to get this to stop.

About that clogged fuel filter: when the clog loosens while you are actually driving, can that cause the car to do a little hop as if something is grabbing its wheels. It hard for me to explain this. Like it was going to stall but quickly changed its mind.