Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 10:01 am

Tollorin wrote:
I'm really afraid to die; Am I the only one there like this? :(

Of course not, humanity's fear of death is the driving force behind medical research and the ongoing quest for "The Fountain of Youth".

I don't fear death because I see it as oblivion, after which there is nothing so I can not feel regret. The process of dieing, however, scares me to...well, death. If given a choice I'd preffer a quick, painless death.

Igor
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2010, 10:06 am

No you're not the only one. I'm afraid of dying and when I was a kid I went through a real morbid phase of trying to imagine what it would be like being dead with no afterlife (yes, strange but true - I would lie perfectly quiet in the dark, eyes closed, ears covered).

I believe in some sort of life after death, but I'm still scared of finding out (yes, I know, if there's nothing, what does it matter, but to me it does - ho hum, I'm just a confused person).

Sad thing is that I'm also afraid of life. I hate waking up in the morning to the thoughts of what I must face during the day. Bit of a crap combination really :(

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:20 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

Now I have great things to look forward to in the near future. I get to eventually lose both my folks, siblings, friends and everyone I know until it grabs me the throat.

That is the blowback of having a long life. You get to lose many of the people and things you have come to love. Perhaps the solution is living longer, and loving less. Or perhaps is is loving more and dying sooner.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

Now I have great things to look forward to in the near future. I get to eventually lose both my folks, siblings, friends and everyone I know until it grabs me the throat.

That is the blowback of having a long life. You get to lose many of the people and things you have come to love. Perhaps the solution is living longer, and loving less. Or perhaps is is loving more and dying sooner.

ruveyn

Or you swallow it. I enjoy life and am sorry to see living people or animals die but you get to accept it.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:10 pm

carolina73 wrote:
My father died when I was 7, so I guess I started thinking (obsessing) about this at an earlier age than some. I go through times when I read everything I can about near death experiences. I was raised in a strict religious denomination (almost wrote demonination-oops). I remember going to camp when I was 13 and the preacher saying "Imagine 5 minutes in hell--burning forever" or something similar. I think I've said the sinner's prayer every time I've been in church!! ! I got baptized twice just to be sure!! ! I no longer attend church, it took me a while to catch on about people having more than one face, guess I was a bit slow...and I have a severely autistic child so it would be kind of difficult... Anyway, I guess I'll find out one day what happens, I wish I could be assured of seeing my dad again and that I was "right with God". It's funny I fear death , but at the same time I have a longing in my heart that gets deeper as I get older (I'm 37) to "go home". It's hard to explain. One day when I was obsessing particularly bad, a tv show came on (and I very, very seldom watch tv) and it was the twilight zone show where the old lady is terrified to die and she looks back at her body and the death angel, says "What you thought would be an explosion was only a whisper" and she walks away happily with him.
I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, but I took some comfort in that maybe God was telling me to calm down about it.
I guess I just wanted to know your thoughts and experiences.

Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of my dads death, I often think of going home to be with my parents I miss them both so much, I even had my will set up so I will have my ashes buried with them.
I don't think dying is anything to be afraid of, its only a part of life, I will be glad once mine is over so I can see my mom and dad and all my ferrets and dogs I had.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 2:28 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

ruveyn

Or you swallow it. I enjoy life and am sorry to see living people or animals die but you get to accept it.

I agree. Bite bullet. Get on with it. There really is no other choice, is there?

ruveyn

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:10 am

No. I actualy look foward to it. I've felt this way since childhood and if I knew sucide was physicaly possible I would have commited it was young as four.

Agnieszka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 6:03 am

I am scared of death to death! :roll: And my story is long, 22 years of fearing so far... Sigh...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 8:46 am

Agnieszka wrote:
I am scared of death to death! :roll: And my story is long, 22 years of fearing so far... Sigh...

there is an old twilight zone episode ["nothing in the dark"] where robert redford played the grim reaper, only he was a really kind death angel to a frightened old lady at death's door. that is the way i see death, as a final welcome relief from life's travails. i believe firmly in heaven but even if i didn't, oblivion would not really be so much different than a long sleep. so Agnieszka, i would hope you could take some comfort from my description of death. the only thing really to fear would be pain, which any good hospice care can take care-of quite effectively. i would be interested in hearing more about your death worries.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 8:50 am

Tollorin wrote:

there is nothing to fear of death in itself. the only scary thing is pain, which is a fixeable thing. but you are not the only one, as death has long been humanity's boogie man in the dark. speaking of the dark, fear is the darkroom where fear negatives develop.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 9:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

there is nothing to fear of death in itself. the only scary thing is pain, which is a fixeable thing. but you are not the only one, as death has long been humanity's boogie man in the dark. speaking of the dark, fear is the darkroom where fear negatives develop.

All living things are programmed to stay alive and reproduce. If this was not so life would have disappeared long ago. Your fears are a natural result of evolution and religion which is designed to make death attractive and kid people with all this afterlife nonsense do so because it is profitable for them.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:12 am

Sand wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

All living things are programmed to stay alive and reproduce. If this was not so life would have disappeared long ago. Your fears are a natural result of evolution and religion which is designed to make death attractive and kid people with all this afterlife nonsense do so because it is profitable for them.

I don't believe aunt blabby said anything remotely about religion in his post.... :?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:17 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Sand wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

I don't believe aunt blabby said anything remotely about religion in his post.... :?

In other words, heaven has nothing to do with religion.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:22 am

Sand wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Sand wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

there is nothing to fear of death in itself. the only scary thing is pain, which is a fixeable thing. but you are not the only one, as death has long been humanity's boogie man in the dark. speaking of the dark, fear is the darkroom where fear negatives develop. Nope, don't see the word heaven in here either.

In other words, heaven has nothing to do with religion.

M'kay....right....:?

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:50 am

people mutually exclusively fear:

heights.
falling.
the sudden deceleration.
death.
an end. <------I'm right here.
nothing.