If your child is bullied at school what tips do you give?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 8:23 pm

My 8 year old sister was punched in the forehead and the boy got into trouble this boy has punched her once in the past. My parents say hit back so I was curious if WP parents had any tips on this issue? Since it has only happen twice I see it as a non issue (unless it starts happening more frequently it was once last year then today thats a year!) :-) Do you believe in the "hit them back" advice? Thanks.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

its prison rules. all about escilation. he punches her. she hits him with a brick. keep going til one wises up and stops

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 8:58 pm

School policy is either ignore it or report it. My son has had in school suspension and been suspended for a day for fighting back. Things got better after that so maybe a day at home is worth it if it sends the message she won't tolerate being bullied. The school has to follow policy, whether they agree with it or not.

oncebitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2010, 9:54 pm

Hitting and ANYTHING physically violent should not be ignored. That should be brought to the immediate attention of the school. (And if that doesn't work - the police.) Most schools have very strict rules regarding physical violence. The bad part is - the kid who get's tired of being bullied or hit will receive the same punishment as the bully that instigates the action.

We've 'allowed' our kids to make that choice for themselves. They are never to instigate a problem - but we will back them up 100% if they need to defend themselves.

I worry more about some of the mental and emotional abuse some of these kids can pummel other kids with. There are kids as young as 10 and 11 - maybe younger - committing suicide because they're being bullied. It's happening more and more. If this were some virus or cancer that kills children indescriminately - EVERY parent would be marching in the streets and demanding something be done. But it seems like the only people who care enough to try to stop it are the parents of victims. The parents of the kids doing to victimizing either don't care, think it's 'normal' or in some cases - encourage it. It's sick. Maybe the parents sould be held accountable for the actions of their bully child.

The two times that bullying became a problem for my kids' - not the regular playground stuff - bullying that was becoming a threat or some sort of weird mission to single out my kid to torment - we talked to the kids' about what they should say or do. First option is always to avoid or walk away. If that doesn't work - tell them to leave you alone. Third step is a warning - stop or I will make you stop. Last option - pound on them. Fortunately it's never escalated beyond the 3rd step. The kids' did let someone at school know what was going and asked why the person was being such a jerk to them. In both of those cases we later found out that the kid had some severe problems at home and was picking on other kids. (Abuse can be cyclical - and if ya don't have a victim available at home - you find one were you can - for a kid - it's school.) That's no excuse to pick on another child - but the bully is 'outed' and the school can do whatever schools do about kids like that. And they can keep closer tabs on the bully to make sure he/she hasn't just changed targets.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:36 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Do you believe in the "hit them back" advice?

I think it's better for the parents to follow up with the school to make sure they take appropriate action to prevent its happening again.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 10:45 pm

You don't "win" by hitting back. Hitting back is a last resort, and might be effective when there aren't teachers seeing what is going on, but even then only maybe. Since the teachers are seeing what is happening, and taking action, hitting back will only get your sister in trouble, too.

At our elementary school, children are taught to verbally stand up to bullies. When you show strength, that you are not afraid, and that you will not engage with the bully, the bully loses his power, and will generally give up. Showing strength is, of course, the theory behind hitting back, as well, but it can have the opposite effect: showing that while you are willing to hit back, you also are weaker in a fight, and thus enboldening the bully. If a child is going to hit back, they should be darn sure they are the stronger fighter. That certainty is hard to come by, and showing strength by words and the ability to walk away is the better bet.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 11:09 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
You don't "win" by hitting back. Hitting back is a last resort, and might be effective when there aren't teachers seeing what is going on, but even then only maybe. Since the teachers are seeing what is happening, and taking action, hitting back will only get your sister in trouble, too.

At our elementary school, children are taught to verbally stand up to bullies. When you show strength, that you are not afraid, and that you will not engage with the bully, the bully loses his power, and will generally give up. Showing strength is, of course, the theory behind hitting back, as well, but it can have the opposite effect: showing that while you are willing to hit back, you also are weaker in a fight, and thus enboldening the bully. If a child is going to hit back, they should be darn sure they are the stronger fighter. That certainty is hard to come by, and showing strength by words and the ability to walk away is the better bet.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<check out the name tag
wow really? if i have any expertise on anything its this. trying to talk a guy like me down isnt gonna happen. if anything will further fuel the bully to keep going. the only sure fire way to stop it is to fight dirty and lay that kid out and anyone else who steps up let the school nurse sort them out.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm

psychohist wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:
Do you believe in the "hit them back" advice?

I think it's better for the parents to follow up with the school to make sure they take appropriate action to prevent its happening again.

Have you ever been a kid ? If so, you should know that the entire class will laugh at you as being a "mama's boy" from that point on. It will be a permanent label. And yes, they WILL find out.

Quote:

Ok the above is completely backwards when it comes to reality of bullying. It sounds like a theory someone made up to conveniently shoehorn their educational methology into it.

BULLY FACT #1: If you hit them good, they will stop f*****g with you [as much].

BULLY FACT #2: If you talk back, they will mock you, escalate and eventually hit you. "Showing strength" is a myth. If you're being bullied, you ALREADY FAILED to "show strength". They ALREADY crossed the line into your personal space, they pushed you and all they get back is WORDS and more WORDS.

You can't "verbally protect yourself" against a bully. Not in elementary/middle/high school. The response has to be physical.

----

Not all is hopeless, however. You see, most kids are morons. They telegraph their attacks. They cock back their elbows then trying to get you with a hook, for instance, and their kicks can be seen from a mile away.

The response has to be physical - but if you teach the "victim" how to properly deal with attacks, they will not be punished in the same way as their attackers, as they will be seen as defensive by witnesses.

When my sister was in middle school, I taught her some basic evasions from Aikido. Shockingly, she quickly put one of them to use. A guy tried to punch her, she got out of the way and almost broke his elbow. He didn't have visible injuries, but he was shaken and never tried that again.

Another time someone tried to punch her, she simply ducked, and their fist hit the locker above her head. See, that's the ideal physical response.

I've also heard of a girl who actually learned Aikido seriously and she sidestepped a bully's kick, who promptly fell. He started crying and complained to the teacher : "She... she moved !".

Last edited by monsterland on 12 Mar 2010, 12:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2010, 12:03 am

Bullies like to pick on kids who they get a good reaction from or who aren't going to fight them back. When I started ignoring the taunts, throwing them back at them, or if it became physical, fighting back, the bullying stopped. The only problem I ever had was when I was in 7th grade and one kid was a bully, but also proud and spiteful. Any retaliation against him, and he would escalate it. We ended up both beaten, bloodied, and in a lot of trouble.

Fighting back isn't always the best thing to do, but simply taking it and not doing anything in return (like telling an adult, for instance) will only lead to further bullying.

For my girlfriend's son Billy (10 year old aspie), I am going to follow her lead, though. It isn't really my place as a soon-to-be step father to tell him whether or not to fight back, but as someone who was "different" myself (intelligent socially awkward nerd), at least I had the experience to draw from when I do give advice.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 12:12 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
You don't "win" by hitting back. Hitting back is a last resort...

I agree with this, there may come a time when you have no choice but to fight back. My goal is to teach my kids good judgment and decision-making so they'll avoid these situations ahead of time, or vacate the premises before somebody gets hurt. Still working on it :roll:

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 1:15 am

It really depends on what the 'bullying' is.

For example, 6 year olds children calling each other stupid head may indeed qualifying for bullying. But you would handle it completely differently then teenage boys physically assaulting each other.

General rule is if that if the bullying is just mocking/teasing the first thing to do is simply tell the other person that you aren't interested in hearing their stupidity, and tell them to go away. If they start escalating it from there by mocking you more, then you just fight fire with fire and make them look idiotic for even trying it. There are some fun phrases that I learned for dealing with this stuff.

For example:

Bully: Hey stupid face, what are you doing?

Me: Hmm? I'm sorry, did you say something? I have my hearing aid set to filter out idiots, I think it was blocking you.

Bully: What, you have an imaginary hearing aid?

Me: Of course not you idiot, I was simply pointing out that your stupid, or are you too dense to realize that?

Bully: Im not stupid! you are!

Me: Ok, you can tell yourself whatever makes you feel better. But do it someplace else where your not bothering me.

If the bullying is physical then you have to defend yourself.

I had an older brother and we wrestled/fought like brothers do. So, I had plenty of experience defending myself in a fight. The only person who actually attacked me in school quickly found his face in his desk and he stopped bothering me.

I know that it seems mean, and indeed it is. But that is the point. I hate to say it but at ages 8+ having your parent or teacher go to bat for you just gets you more ostracized. You really have to defend yourself if your going to get your peers to not bully you. It is much better to be a bit rude to people who deserve it then to allow your self to be miserable for other's entertainment. The worst case scenario is that the other child who started this thing goes and complains to the teacher. And if he does that then your child can just explain that he started it. The worst case scenario here is that both your child and the bully wind up in detention once or twice until the bully learns you aren't a good target.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 2:39 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
If a child is going to hit back, they should be darn sure they are the stronger fighter.

I was going to say that too, except I'm a little worried about it as advice.

My brother is an ex-SEAL and his 5 year old has been learning unarmed combat techniques from him since before the age of 2. I'm pretty sure that kid could already kill an adult if the adult didn't push him off. Obviously an adult does have enough of a strength advantage to push him off, but other kids don't have such a strength advantage. You can train your kid to win, but can you train your kid to have the self restraint not to inflict serious injuries in the heat of battle? And will your kid be tempted into becoming a bully when it's obvious to him and to all the other kids that he can take on any three of them and win? I honestly don't know.

monsterland wrote:
Have you ever been a kid ? If so, you should know that the entire class will laugh at you as being a "mama's boy" from that point on. It will be a permanent label. And yes, they WILL find out.

I think I must have been born an adult. I certainly never cared what a bunch of little kids thought of me.

Not fighting worked for me. Even in verbal situations I didn't retaliate or defend myself verbally, though that was more from aspie cluelessness than from any conscious decision. I can only remember ever getting into one serious fight in school - probably in second or third grade. The other kid wrestled me to the ground and kept beating on me as best he could, and I did try to throw him off. Of course he was stronger and had a lot more experience at fighting so I didn't have a lot of success. Eventually we both ended up in the principal's office, and I drew 15 minutes of detention while he got suspended for the rest of the year, as he had a record of that kind of stuff.

My brother would defend himself, and I'm sure he won his share of his fights, but he also got beaten up a lot more than I did.

My real point, though, was that the parents should follow up with the school, not that the kid should follow up with the parents. In my own experience, simply ignoring troublemakers takes care of them 95% of the time.

Quote:
Not all is hopeless, however. You see, most kids are morons. They telegraph their attacks. They cock back their elbows then trying to get you with a hook, for instance, and their kicks can be seen from a mile away.

The response has to be physical - but if you teach the "victim" how to properly deal with attacks, they will not be punished in the same way as their attackers, as they will be seen as defensive by witnesses.

When my sister was in middle school, I taught her some basic evasions from Aikido. Shockingly, she quickly put one of them to use. A guy tried to punch her, she got out of the way and almost broke his elbow. He didn't have visible injuries, but he was shaken and never tried that again.

Another time someone tried to punch her, she simply ducked, and their fist hit the locker above her head. See, that's the ideal physical response.

I've also heard of a girl who actually learned Aikido seriously and she sidestepped a bully's kick, who promptly fell. He started crying and complained to the teacher : "She... she moved !".

I think the bullies I grew up with were a little better at fighting than the kids you've dealt with. However, defensive moves do sound like a good idea.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:02 am

psychohist wrote:
monsterland wrote:

I think I must have been born an adult. I certainly never cared what a bunch of little kids thought of me.

Not caring what they think is easy. Not caring when they throw an apple in your face during class when the teacher turns away, and give you an instant black eye, is impossible. Not caring when they follow you afterwards for weeks just to randomly kick you, is impossible.

Maybe you did get born an adult.

Quote:
Not fighting worked for me.

In my own experience, simply ignoring troublemakers takes care of them 95% of the time.

Its a really strange experience that goes against everything I know about bullies. If someone is attacking YOU in some way, ignoring them never takes care of it. It just shows them that you find them unpleasant, and inflames their behavior. Sorry.

Quote:
I think the bullies I grew up with were a little better at fighting than the kids you've dealt with. However, defensive moves do sound like a good idea.

I've dealt with kids in 3 different schools in former Soviet Union, and 1 more school in America.

Some of them knew some boxing, but most are untrained, just as most people in real life are untrained. And even the ones that knew boxing, could be extended past their comfort zone, because real life does not have the physical limitations and time luxury of the ring. They had to catch up to me and attack in a specific timeframe, and make their attacks connect. No bobbing, weaving, dancing around. If you do that, I just walk/run away.

If I knew what I know now, I would've demolished the lot of them. Even the time when I got attacked by multiples... they were so out of sync with each other, in retrospect it was very possible to get out of there. When I have a kid, he/she is going to be invincible growing up.

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2010, 12:56 pm

in K...my daughter had a very persisitent bully. I made all the mistakes, telling her to ignore him...read a book...etc. But finally I wrote a letter to the busdriver. When I reported it, the school responded quickly and decisively. Other mother was called, she called and apologized...and so did he. My daughter was picked on a lot for being different when she was young...so she's now developed a 'thicker skin'...which isn't necessarily a good thing, as I never wanted her to be 'the bully or the bullied'. While she's not a bully, she presents herself as tough at first (I think this is one reason the beginning of school is hard), she plays tough until she is comfortable with people and situations. Plus she's big (giantess...very tall) so she says because of her size, people no longer mess with her. I wish all kids could be that lucky.

B

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 3:21 pm

Apparently it can vary a lot by the environment and community the child is in.

At the elementary school my kids went to/go to, I know that refusing to engage WORKED. This is not the same as walking away or ignoring: the school teaches kids to make a strong verbal response, like, "don't you have something better to do than to try to pick on me?" and then walk away. But there isn't a whole group of kids sweating the bully, either - the bullies tend to be alone in their bullying, without support from anyone. It's like a last dtich effort to gain social standing. In that environment, the bully can and will learn that physical action isn't going to gain anything for them.

Hitting back is a mixed bag. It can be an invitation to fight more, or a warning not to pick on you. That will vary by age, community, and how good the kid is at fighting. My two kids would lose in a second ... no point in teaching that. It's not like they could find a brick nearby to escalate things, and I seriously wouldn't want them to. A brick to the head can result in manslaughter, and I would rather have my child deal with bullies than sit in jail.

My son got punched last week, I think posted that in another thread. Not by a child normally considered a bully, but by a former friend. He knows that I would not want him to punch back, and he didn't. What he's got now are kids rallying around him because he showed that he is the better person. Not the weak and insecure kids - they are more easilly intimidated. But some of the most popular and strong kids at school, willing to send a clear message that it's not right. And, oh yeah, we can collectively punch your lights out if you don't agree with us. He alone could never succeed in a fight; but by drawing in the group support, he'll never have to. Is that other child thinking my son copped out relying on others? Who cares. My bet is he is jealous as hell, because his reason for picking on my child was that he had slowly concluded he was dragging down his social standing. Seems like the play out is showing quite clearly that the only one who can drag down his social standing is himself.

Would it play out that way for every child? No, probably not. I know that this whole dynamic incubated among a special group of kids together at a unique time in the evolution of their elementary school. But it is a good way of pointing out that those who say "hit back" can't be right in all situations. You've got to have a feel for the community the child is in.

bully_on_speed
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:05 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Apparently it can vary a lot by the environment and community the child is in.

At the elementary school my kids went to/go to, I know that refusing to engage WORKED. This is not the same as walking away or ignoring: the school teaches kids to make a strong verbal response, like, "don't you have something better to do than to try to pick on me?" and then walk away. But there isn't a whole group of kids sweating the bully, either - the bullies tend to be alone in their bullying, without support from anyone. It's like a last dtich effort to gain social standing. In that environment, the bully can and will learn that physical action isn't going to gain anything for them.

Hitting back is a mixed bag. It can be an invitation to fight more, or a warning not to pick on you. That will vary by age, community, and how good the kid is at fighting. My two kids would lose in a second ... no point in teaching that. It's not like they could find a brick nearby to escalate things, and I seriously wouldn't want them to. A brick to the head can result in manslaughter, and I would rather have my child deal with bullies than sit in jail.

My son got punched last week, I think posted that in another thread. Not by a child normally considered a bully, but by a former friend. He knows that I would not want him to punch back, and he didn't. What he's got now are kids rallying around him because he showed that he is the better person. Not the weak and insecure kids - they are more easilly intimidated. But some of the most popular and strong kids at school, willing to send a clear message that it's not right. And, oh yeah, we can collectively punch your lights out if you don't agree with us. He alone could never succeed in a fight; but by drawing in the group support, he'll never have to. Is that other child thinking my son copped out relying on others? Who cares. My bet is he is jealous as hell, because his reason for picking on my child was that he had slowly concluded he was dragging down his social standing. Seems like the play out is showing quite clearly that the only one who can drag down his social standing is himself.

Would it play out that way for every child? No, probably not. I know that this whole dynamic incubated among a special group of kids together at a unique time in the evolution of their elementary school. But it is a good way of pointing out that those who say "hit back" can't be right in all situations. You've got to have a feel for the community the child is in.

i didnt say kill the kid. you kid grabs something weither it be brick pipe anything, then he gets one hit with the weapon, drop the bully, and finishs off things with his fists.

if you dont want to go that drastic. at least teach the kids to fight