Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

mattmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2010, 12:32 pm

(This might also be a good question for the parents' forum, but maybe some ASers can give me some insight.)

My son, who is 11 and HFA, tends to get very LOUD at times. He usually does this when he has the TV or computer on and is talking along with it (which it seems like he HAS to do.) Right now he has "Brain Surge" on and he usually yells along with it. Is this some sort of sensory issue he has?

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2010, 12:37 pm

Huh....my daughter has never been anything but loud. :)..There is a boy in our classroom who we believe may have aspergers, who only talks loudly. You can't even get mad at him for it, because he truly doesn't realize his voice is loud. Neither does my daughter. I think it is a sensory problem....as my daughter does have sensory integration problems and it seems like he does as well. I think for my daughter it's as if the incoming information is so loud, her voice need to talk over it. Don't know for sure though.

ASgirl
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2010, 12:42 pm

since i was very young, my mother has noticed that i become very loud (usually very quiet and self absorbed) when i am either very anxious or trying to prove a point or feeling unjust. now as an adult, my doctor told me that i either don't speak but when i do, i speak not only loudly but fast as well. he explained that it's mainly my ADHD (on top of Asperger's) that caused that.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 1:58 pm

Its in the DSM criteria that people with AS/HFA often have difficulty regulating the volume of their voices.

Wikipedia wrote:
Although individuals with Asperger syndrome acquire language skills without significant general delay and their speech typically lacks significant abnormalities, language acquisition and use is often atypical.[5] Abnormalities include verbosity, abrupt transitions, literal interpretations and miscomprehension of nuance, use of metaphor meaningful only to the speaker, auditory perception deficits, unusually pedantic, formal or idiosyncratic speech, and oddities in loudness, pitch, intonation, prosody, and rhythm.

I spent three decades making a living with my voice and its pretty well trained in most respects, but when I get animated and excited talking about something, especially one of my obsessive personal interests, I find myself overemphasizing and nearly shouting before I realize its happening. :shrug:

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2010, 2:26 pm

As someone who is on the Autism Spectrum, I tend to have this problem. Most of the time, I don't even realize I'm talking too loud until someone tells me I am. Not sure what causes this problem.

mattmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2010, 2:47 pm

Matthew also has a problem with sudden loud noises, or with a lot of noise going on at once (think a bunch of people talking in a crowd). I'm pretty sure it's a sensory processing problem but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2010, 3:06 pm

I experience the loud thing much like others here do. It happens before I know it.

I know it has been a problem for me most of my life since my brother used to tell me to keep it down all the time at later hours in the night. I managed to do that part, but I still find myself getting inappropriately loud over things. I'm much more aware of it these days, before reading about AS I wasn't nearly as aware when I'd be getting loud.

It isn't something easy to stop... yet!

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 3:16 pm

Excitement, of course.
Many non-autistic people shout when they get excited.
Why is this suddenly so weird?
Is it because he is not doing it in a group?

mattmom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Mar 2010, 3:19 pm

ursaminor wrote:
Excitement, of course.
Many non-autistic people shout when they get excited.
Why is this suddenly so weird?
Is it because he is not doing it in a group?

Mostly because he's done it so loudly that it's hurt my ears or caused my ears to ring. I think I am also sensitive to loud noises. When I've been in an environment that's been very noisy, I get tense and anxious and need to go someplace to cool off.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 3:26 pm

My mom does this. I have no reason to think she is AS or hard of hearing, but sometimes she is very loud, so much so that I actually feel my eardrums vibrating. It is very difficult for me to be around loud noises, too.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 3:31 pm

mattmom wrote:
Matthew also has a problem with sudden loud noises, or with a lot of noise going on at once (think a bunch of people talking in a crowd). I'm pretty sure it's a sensory processing problem but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Yes, it's a sensory processing problem called Autism. There is nothing you can do about it, except avoid those situations.

You will also find that when he is forced by circumstance to endure crowds of people, he will need solitary decompression periods afterward, from a few hours to a day or more, to recover from the internal stress.