Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Penny_Black
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2010, 12:59 pm

I recently read in a book that people with Aspergers generally mature later in life and tend to look younger than their actual age. I find this to be true of myself. I look 10 years younger than most people my age and at 35 I think I am maturing. However I feel I am off to a late start and I need an extension on life.

What's the life expectancy of an Aspie? Do we live longer than NT's ?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 1:04 pm

Wikipedia says we have an average life expectancy.

When people ask how old I am, they are very surprised when I tell them my true age. I'm 19 but I look to be about 15 or 16. My mom says that my emotional and social maturity is around age 15 also.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 1:18 pm

I'm 35, I look about 20, and I have the emotional maturity of a 10 year old.

Penny_Black

12 Mar 2010, 1:30 pm

My emotional maturity is probably around 10 y/o also. Not fun for my NT family and friends.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 1:49 pm

I don't believe in the younger looks thing for aspies. I see that as a human thing. Even NTs look younger than their age. Look at my husband and even people have though my parents were younger than their age.

I am probably around 17 for social skills and emotions. That's what most people say about me when they say I sound that age. Even my husband says I am like a teen in some ways because of my attitude. But I think we maybe stop at a certain age because we are stuck there.

I don't think we live longer than NTs. It still varies from person to person. I have had people in my family living till they were in their 100's on my dad's side and my great grandma on my mom's side lived until she was 94 and my grand dad died at 89 which was my dad's father. My great uncle on my dad's side died at 87. All the siblings of my grandfather didn't make it to their 90's. Two of them died young and one other died I have no idea when and my great aunt lived to be 80. It was the people on my grandma's side who made it to their 100's such as her Aunt Annie and her mother.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 4:02 pm

I also get told that, from time to time. :lol:

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2010, 4:27 pm

:(
Not me
:(
I look older than I am. I have most of my life.

And on that note:

I don't want to grow up. I want to be a Toys-r-US Kid.:P

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Mar 2010, 4:50 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't believe in the younger looks thing for aspies.

I think we look younger sometimes because we are less likely to 'dress up' in the latest fashions. That and combined with the fact that a lot of us have interests that typical people our age don't have, it's no wonder why people presume we are younger than we really are.

I generally look younger than 18 but if I dress up and wear make up then apparently I look more mature.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 10:28 pm

a swag:

flatter affect, meaning less facial expression or less intense facial expression over time=less smile lines, less laugh lines, less frown lines or worry lines. that is my situation.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 11:09 pm

Everyone says I either look older or younger than my actual age (23). I don't know whether to take those remarks as compliments or insults.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm

People have been shocked by my age since I got into my late 20s. I had my daughter at a restaurant and someone made a comment about "babies having babies", I was 28. I read that too, about Aspies looking, dressing, acting younger. I fit that criteria .I am 37 and I collect dolls, watch anime, and I like the same kind of toys as my 10 year-old daughter. I really wish i could pull off Goth-Lolita style but I have better sense than that, thank goodness.