Are food intolerances more common for people with aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

pennypincher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2010, 4:22 pm

I am intolerant to several foods. Do any of the rest of you have problems with food intolerance? Can there be a connection with autism or aspergers or is it just a coincidence? I am intolerant to poultry, eggs, beets, cherries, and honey. These foods make me very sick, but they do not show up on allergy tests. I have to read labels because some of these foods can be in something without me knowing it. I will get sick if I eat it without knowing it.

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 5:14 pm

I seem to only be lactose-intolerant. A few other foods disagree with me, but not to a great degree. Interestingly, I seem to have gotten the lactose-intolerance from my NT mother, not my AS father. I am, however, somewhat picky about food, but that's another story.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 5:48 pm

pennypincher wrote:
Are food intolerances more common for people with aspergers?

Yes, and also with other forms of autism.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 6:58 pm

I used to have hangups about thoughts of food possibly being contaminated. I've largely outgrown it, but sometimes I will be hesitant to take food from a new source or at a new place I've never eaten before. It's also sort of a tic that a small amount of food gets spilled when I am spooning it out of the pan when I'm in a new place or someplace I haven't been in for a long time. I think once someone got the impression I didn't like her food because of this even though I did like it after I tried it.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:10 pm

I've heard a connection mentioned a lot.

I have reactions to a lot of things, though like you mentioned they don't show up on allergy tests. So I'm not sure what to call them. Corn syrup is one of them, and that stuff is in *everything*. :evil:

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 7:31 pm

I'm pretty sure now that I'm gluten intolerant.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 8:14 pm

I'm lactose intolerant. And not in the "oh god, where's the bathroom?!" kind of way. I mean in the "oh god, I'm bleeding internally" kind of way.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 8:59 pm

Nope, I don't have any food intolerances. At least none that I know of.

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 9:23 pm

Moog wrote:
I'm pretty sure now that I'm gluten intolerant.

'Fraid that one's my fault.

BTW, gluten/casein (i.e., milk) intolerance are not only linked to autism/asperger's. One book I read about discussed a link in schizophrenia as well.

Unfortunately, there's no money in studying if a GFCFSF diet might help certain conditions, and compliance would always be a problem unless it were studied in a controlled setting (i.e., a hospital).

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2010, 9:52 pm

Yes, YOU! I can no longer eat bread and cakes and crap without knowing it's going to make me feel uncomfortable. Oh well. (Thank you really).

Athenacapella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2010, 9:53 pm

Moog wrote:
Yes, YOU! I can no longer eat bread and cakes and crap without knowing it's going to make me feel uncomfortable. Oh well. (Thank you really).

If it makes you feel any better, the UK is supposed to have way more variety of gluten-free foods than America.

We import pretzels from Israel at $3/tiny package.

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Mar 2010, 10:22 pm

It's possible for food intolerances to be more common for people on the autism spectrum. When I was a baby, my mom had to feed me a special lactose-free formula because the regular one gave me such bad gas (milk still gives me gas to this day :oops: ). Also, I have a low tolerance for drinks that have a lot of artificial colorings (like Hi-C fruit punch), and drinks such as Pepsi, which sucks because those are my two favorite drinks in the world.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 5:38 am

nintendogurl1990 wrote:
It's possible for food intolerances to be more common for people on the autism spectrum. When I was a baby, my mom had to feed me a special lactose-free formula because the regular one gave me such bad gas (milk still gives me gas to this day :oops: ). Also, I have a low tolerance for drinks that have a lot of artificial colorings (like Hi-C fruit punch), and drinks such as Pepsi, which sucks because those are my two favorite drinks in the world.

I was allergic to milk when I was little, but I seem to have outgrown that. (Unless it happens to be the reason for my constantly blocked nose...) Full-cream milk, Earl Grey tea and ice-cold water are my favourite drinks.

I am also sensitive to the preservative sodium benzoate, which is found in many cooldrinks. I won't fall over or need the hospital, but it does affect my breathing. Feels like my lungs are constricted.

I have a few skin allergies. They manifested within minutes after my birth. they are not quite so bad as they used to be, though, so if I have to declare my state of health anywhere I don't bother to mention them. The most notable one (which obviously occurs very seldom) is a rash which I get when I wade knee-deep in mud! :P

I wear hearing protection often due to sensory sensitivities and both of my devices seem to be causing a rash on my ears now, which is annoying.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 5:39 am

nintendogurl1990 wrote:

I was allergic to milk when I was little, but I seem to have outgrown that. (Unless it happens to be the reason for my constantly blocked nose...) Full-cream milk, Earl Grey tea and ice-cold water are my favourite drinks.

I am also sensitive to the preservative sodium benzoate, which is found in many cooldrinks. I won't fall over or need the hospital, but it does affect my breathing. Feels like my lungs are constricted.

I have a few skin allergies. They manifested within minutes after my birth. they are not quite so bad as they used to be, though, so if I have to declare my state of health anywhere I don't bother to mention them. The most notable one (which obviously occurs very seldom) is a rash which I get when I wade knee-deep in mud! :P

I wear hearing protection often due to sensory sensitivities and both of my devices seem to be causing a rash on my ears now, which is annoying.

strapshoechris
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2010, 12:10 am

Yes, I can't handle sour/bitter foods and that's part of "supertasters" syndrome.
http://supertastertest.com/
I also have allergies to eggs, onions, cabbage, and celery, and I loathe most other veggies.