Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2010, 11:46 am

a puzzle...

Say you have to view an x-ray. You are able to view this x-ray as a digital image on a computer screen from an outside source, over the internet. Problem - the computer screen is quite a bit smaller than standard old fashioned x-rays, and for a decent computer monitor that would accommodate the size you need, the quality they use at the hospitals, it would be close to $7000. Still, you would like to view the x-ray on a larger scale. HOWEVER, you need to keep the resolution of the picture as it is, so as not to lose detail. LCD tv technology is out, because apparently the signals used in monitors isn't the same as signals used in TVs so you wouldn't get the resolution you need.

Given the limitations of digital photography over standard photography and old fashioned x-ray techniques, is there a way to view the x-rays on a larger format, keeping the image true and readable and useful, and also technology that isn't outrageously priced, working from your existing computer system?

I was wondering about a projection system of some sort?

I am just toying with ideas, just wondering if the technology has come to this point yet, or if my imagination is once again ahead of the game. Just wanted to know what others opinions are.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm

To maintain accuracy with no loss of detail you have a few options:

1. Only view part of the image at one time. LCD should be sufficiently good to do that provided the resolution of the pixels matches the granules of the photographic X ray.

2. Use several monitors stacked side by side or on top of each other to show the full image.

3. Use a projection system as you suggest BUT the resolution of the projector image would need to be very high. Typically I don't think they are "that" high, they just blow up an image to look larger.

4. Use image enhancing software to pick out the relevant details of an x-ray and show them on an ordinary screen.

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 12:46 pm

My experience is in using monitors for film and video so I may be missing something important to viewing x-rays, but here's my two cents...

The main difference between LCDs and TVs (CRTs [Cathode Ray Tubes] to be specific) is that CRTs are considered the better monitor for really critical color correction. If you need a monitor that shows the colors as accurately as possible, you will probably need a CRT. But LCDs have come a long way in the past few years and for my needs, they are adequate.

I suppose there might be a need for highly accurate color or tone display in x-rays because that might help a doctor in making a diagnosis, but from my layman's point of view, I don't see where an LCD would not be able to display accurately enough.

You should be able to zoom in to display any image, whether it's a photograph or an x-ray, so that it displays at 1:1 size; that is to say, a pixel in the image file displays over the space of one pixel on the LCD or CRT. Zooming out might display 2 pixels in the space of 1 pixel on the LCD for example. Zooming in might display 2 image file pixels across 1 screen pixel. While being able to display large image files on a monitor at 1:1 resolution is ideal, obviously large monitors with high pixel densities are quite expensive. Depending one what you need, you may find you can make do with a smaller, cheaper monitor.

Since zooming in or out of an image doesn't actually change the original file, you can adjust your zoom to view either the whole image or some detail of it without destroying your ability to return to another view.

Perhaps if you state what you need to do in more detail, we can better identify what might help you accomplish what you need.

Lars

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 5:15 pm

What do you want to do with it?

Reason I ask is that a number of artists have applied X ray photography to art to reveal inner structures of stuff like leaves etc. Very good some of the work and makes for symmetrical presentation of subject matter if structural. Does not require huge amount of image magnification/ pixel building just understanding of presentation.

Lateral cheap solution, but effective for this area of art- you get the human brain to do a lot of the work.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 4:49 pm

One word; zoom.

I used to work in a factory that made x-ray viewing machines (they're not that complicated) back in the day, so i've seen my share.

Now I work with digital photos (not really, I just help people who do). The X-rays I've seen (not many, but some) are usually about 8x10".

But then you only blow them so much; when you're x-rayed, they only have a negative placed behind you. That's usually not all that big. So it's not that hard to get the view they want.

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2010, 5:48 pm

Pakled: Zoom. Love it. Think the boss wouldn't though if I told him to do that though, LOL! The x-rays we used to have delivered to the office were quite a bit bigger actually - I have a feeling that this is part of the problem, where they could once see the whole xray in one shot (so to speak) , now they have to scroll etc., which can make looking at the whole picture less efficient, I suppose.

memesplice: Mostly I think what he would like is something that mimics an old fashioned x-ray - I am not sure what brought it on, if he noticed something at the hospital that he couldn't make out at the office (which is a major concern given that a missed finding can be a missed diagnosis), but he seems to feel a bigger monitor would be more helpful - he was bouncing the idea off me for a big screen tv and if that could be used instead (he would never get the office to fork out the big bucks for monitors like the hospital, which is silly, they would do well if they had a room where they could view x-rays on a decent monitor that all could share and it could attract future partners to the practice, but they don't seem to think in those sorts of terms). He was looking for inexpensive options that he could get by his partner's ideas and thoughts on cost. He was thinking of a Mac, which might work overall in terms of cost . What he is thinking 35 inch screen although I don't think monitors go up that big? I can only find a 27 inch Mac, and nothing that large in a PC.

Otherwise, it was me toying with options and solutions.

Thanks all:)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2010, 6:48 pm

as big as you can handle it:
http://www.Multi-Monitors.com/

http://www.Multi-Monitors.com/SUPER_PC_ ... s_s/21.htm

hitokage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Mar 2010, 4:54 am

grinningcat wrote:
What he is thinking 35 inch screen although I don't think monitors go up that big? I can only find a 27 inch Mac, and nothing that large in a PC.

Once you get above about 24" the monitors are generally listed as TVs. Any current LCD or plasma HDTV will have at least one HDMI connector which is backwards compatible with DVI, and the resolutions they support will be as high as you can get (anything listed as 1080p - outside any kind of specialty equipment).

One issue is just about all HDTVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio and is unnecessarily wide for what is needed. One in a 4:3/5:4 aspect ratio would be hard to find (a specialty display), but is closer to the aspect ratio of x-rays. Another issue would be rotation - desktop stands for that size can't be rotated, and a wall mount that can would be a specialty item.

The only other possibility would be a video projector, which you did mention originally. It would require a screen and a dimly lit room, but would be much easier to get what you need and there should be some models that allow 90º rotation.

I know not every doctor makes an incredible amount of money, but this particular need seems like an instance where the right equipment ($7000 or not) may be the best, easiest, and possibly cheapest option.

computerlove wrote:
as big as you can handle it:

While that would work, I don't think the bezels between screens would be anywhere close to ideal for this application.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2010, 7:43 pm

^
*hint* the site has also other sections

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 9:24 pm

I have a simple solution for sending ultra high resolution X-ray images
but I will on my own terms submit it to Public Domain. I think that
this is VERY appropriate considering the "health care cost" crisis.

Your boss can have an electronic technician build one if and when
the design is published on a public project forum. The BOM total cost
may be less than the billing for a single x-ray procedure, and maybe even
less than the true cost of tangible property consumed in the
process of doing the procedure.

From experience I predict that your boss won't even consider a "free" solution.