Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

bluebandit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Mar 2010, 9:13 pm

I hope one day I'll be able to live on my own. I like to think I could anyway. However, I don't drive(still find it overwhelming), have trouble making/keeping appointments, and generally dealing with other people. I don't know, it seems I feel like I can handle stuff better but I haven't produced any results.

Cultus_Diabolus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 10:14 pm

dt18 wrote:
How many of you here are successfully living on their own?

ive lived on my own since i was 16, but my family helps me out once and awhile with bills, so i guess i would say pretty good over all,

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

16 Mar 2010, 11:50 pm

I have lived independently since I graduated college. I co-own my house with other relatives (all of our names are on the mortgage). I pay my own bills (I have many) and I work a full time job (pure hell, but it pays the bills). I take care of myself and assist in the maintenance of my house. I do have OCD issues that make cooking difficult (if not for the microwave, I would probably exist solely on take-out), but I don't go hungry :) . I am negligent in house cleaning (if it doesn't directly affect or bother me, I don't think about it, ie dusting, vacuuming, etc) and will only do chores when I am hindered in some way, such as when I have no clean towels remaining.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

jagatai
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:19 am

I lived with my parents too long. I could have moved out earlier, but was nervous that I would fall apart when I did. First I shared a house with a friend. Then I got an apartment on my own. I have lived alone for more than 13 years now. I don't have trouble with details like bill paying or keeping a job so that isn't an issue. But keeping the apartment neat is.

In my case, the loneliness issue is the biggest concern. My apartment building provides voucher tickets for guests to park in the parking structure nearby. I have lived in this apartment for 12 years and I'm still on the first set of vouchers. So I don't really invite people over very often.

I think as you plan to move out on your own, you need to make sure you include plans for some kind of minimal socialization in your life. You might find the solitude freeing at first, but after 10 or 15 years of increasing isolation, you may find it can get a bit annoying. It can be hard to set up regular get togethers with a friend or two, but it's a good idea to stick with it so you don't end up with a bad case of boredom and depression.