Obsessive empathy for inanimate objects

Page 4 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 3:05 pm

I've seen Cars ten times! The people at the theaters around here were always like, "Back to see Cars again?" lol Too bad it's not in theaters anymore. I guess I'll have to wait for the November 7th DVD release. In the meantime, I'll keep buying Cars merchandise. A couple of kids came over to our house last night (their parents came over to purchase a dining room table) and when the kids saw B-1 (my first of my two bedrooms), they couldn't believe all the Cars stuff I have. I'll try to take some pictures of it sometime. We need to get new batteries for the camera though, so yeah. Oh, and about Larry the Cable Guy, my friend, Sarah, has one of his DVDs of Blue Collar Comedy. I've only seen part of it, though. But she fills me in on everything!

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 8:19 am

cool lightning ill keep an eye out for the dvd in november, another movie i want is american pie presents:band camp. i seen this one on hbo a few times it was funny too. i just reread your post about lightning mcqueen from cars, hey just if your car was same model year as the red or blue lightning? i also figured this is were you also got your nickname from?? the cars movie?

i seen about how much care you give them more then your drivable gas drinker, do you wash and wax them too??

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 12:24 pm

Yes, it is actually. Lightning McQueen is a 2005 custom-Pixar car while I have a 2005 Hyundai Accent. I do take good care of my car, but I don't really use it a lot since I only have a permit. I want to get my liscense in a month or two, though, since I'll have to get on the bus as early as 6:30 AM for school this year. But anyway, I don't wash the Lightning McQueens. I'm afraid the paint might wash off of them. I actually don't wash my own car either- my mom does! lol Anyway, yes, my screen name is from Cars. And 88 represents the year I was born- 1988.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 2:15 pm

cool i was just joking about the wash and waxing the mcqueens. i myself dont have a license or a vehicle even though its a good thing if i did but i dont need to become a victom to some cell phone gabbing, newspaper reading coffee drinking driver.

dont feel bad, when i was in first year of high school it was like 6 something HAVING TO BE IN CLASS! 6:30 or 6:45 i think it was.

i was 5 when u were born and i didnt even WALK yet. i didnt walk til i was 6 so i was REALLY REALLY close to getting put in either polio style braces(forrest gump metal hinged kind) or a wheelchair.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 5:32 pm

It's just that I seem to be the first (or close to the first) on the bus every single year. And them I'm always the last to get off, too! It's super-annoying.

Anyway, I didn't even start talking until I was four. Also, I started reading that year which I'd say is pretty advanced. It was just stuff like "Go Dogs Go" and "The Best Nest" though. Yeah, 1993 was a pretty big year for me... I remember my favorite movies being "101 Dalmations" and "The Aristocats" at that time. I just loved cartoon movies with talking animals. I never really did get into the whole Disney Princess thing. I was actually kind of a tomboy until middle school. Now I'm extremely girly-girl! lol Anyway, back then The Littlest Pet Shop, Care Bears, and Lisa Frank were really in, too. And I, like everyone else my age, had to get my hands on any products I could find. Care Bears was really hard to find since my generation missed the premier of it by nearly a decade. So the only Care Bears stuff I had were the two movies and a bunch of recorded episodes. Okay, now I'm just rambling on. lol

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 11:50 am

when i was about that age cabbage patch kids and barbie and care bears. same here tomboy if i had a choice of hardware store or a toy store id probably want video games from toy store and hardware from doors from hardware store :D

when id play id rather play lego or with tools instead of dolls. that then in middle school turned to hardware and tools or car parts. in elementry school about bus i was first off last picked up(silly thing was i was half a block away) but yet still took bus! i was only on bus for maybe 10 seconds??

movies/music i liked some country and favorite movie was flintstones (when fred and wilma adopted bammbamm) favorite tv show was america's funniest home videos with bob saget(from family matters sitcom)

my first word was "more" i was told that i first said it while sitting on a swing in back yard and grandmother was pushing me. and guess what? my next word, DOOR! seems odd i also can remember when i was in pre-k some teacher putting me on his shoulders while talking to my parents standing in hall and i reached for a grey thing on door in hall (at time not knowing what it was) then about 4 years ago the memory of me reaching for grey thing on top came back to me. then i realized, OMG, i guess i have liked door closing devices since before i walked!

weird i think

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 12:12 am

I put one of my Buses on my Night Dresser, before I go to Bed, every night. That helps me to sleep better. Than I put the Bus back on my Dresser, with its Family in the Morning, when I get out of Bed.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 6:56 am

awwwwww glad that works for you it seems many people have good dreams if tehy think or touch thier favorite object b 4 or during sleep (works for me) seems its last thing you do at night (putting bus on bedside table) and first thing you do in morning(putting it back with family) like i said before, its alot better and safer then sleeping pills that can really mess up body.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 8:57 pm

Whenever I run into something I say "I'm sorry" somewhat involuntarily.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Aug 2006, 2:33 am

when i was a kid i felt quit a lot for my stufed anamils, whenever i had a faverit one i wouldnt even leve it alone in a car for a minet for fear someone might steel it. I think i got over a lot of the inanament stuff right around when i got a cat thou, it probably wouldn't work for every body, but if you don't want your kid to be quite so atched to objectes you could try geting them a pet.

Also when i was about 7 or 8 we soled the only car i had ever had, and i was really atched to it for some reson. I cried and cried the day we sould it, latter on that day my mom bought me a new stuffed animall and i got over it after awile. so if you've got to sell a frige or something else your kid likes it might help to buy them something they can transfer their fellings to, maybe.

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:59 pm

Kind of funny around here. My kids and I are definitely attached to our 'things' in ways that make little sense to my wife, who is NT. She makes a joke, sometimes about having to Sneak garbage out of the house or we all have a fit.

We have made enormous strides at solving toy clutter issues by having them donate 'to a more needy kid' some of their older stuff. No big deal really, but to us, this is huge!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

I feel sorry for objects, but I'm not 12. I'm 20.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:34 pm

Yes. I feel bad for things in trash cans yet don't feel anything for homeless people. For years my mom said it was as if I loved my stuffed animals more than my own family and I probably did. They may not be able to love back but my stuffed animals didn't rebuke me either. I have always been labled materilistic. If there was a tornado warning I would be more worried about protecting my toys than my family. I think it was because objects could be trusted more than people and were predictable. If I express empathy for an actual human being it's usualy just an act. I don't feel anything for people.

SteamPowerDev
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2010, 10:34 pm

As a child I use to be best friends with my teddy bear Fozzy. I took him everywhere and we did everything together, even swimming. I told him my problems, and he always had a shoulder for me to cry on. As I grew up I felt intense pressure from my family and friends to "put stuffed animals away". So In my teen years Fozzy would hide under my covers incase a friend came over, but he would always be waiting for me.

As I got older and pressure from home and school began to effect me everywhere I went, I adopted two old and beat up Star Wars figures I found in my back yard. Nien Nunb and a protocol droid from the first movie I believe. I felt sorry for them both because I thought no one liked the characters from the movies, so I was extra nice to them and brought them everywhere with me. They were a huge comfort to me when I was in school or away from home. They fit in my pocket just nice and I could clasp them in my hand without anyone noticing.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2010, 8:25 am

I throw out all the sentimental stuff and guard my toys with my life. I worry about them when I am at the store. I think they bring me nothing but good things and ask nothing of me. They aren't ever annoyed or disappointed.

:idea:

warmhearteddad
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2010, 6:01 pm

my daughter does this kind of thing all the time, and she's on the spectrum.

On the other hand I used to do it too and as far as i know i'm NT.