Obsessive empathy for inanimate objects

Page 3 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:03 am

Nerddette wrote:
My 12yo son, David, has Aspergers. He also has OCD tendencies (like bookmarking every webpage exactly 6 times and taking a certain number of steps when he walks).

He told me last night that he feels emotion for inanimate objects. Some examples he gave include:

* If he drops a food wrapper he thinks the wrapper will be upset if he doesn't put it in the bin.

* If a choc chip falls off his biscuit then he will put it back with it's "friends".

* He sometimes feels sorry for food when he eats it.

* He is obsessive about his stuffed animals - if they fall off the bed he apologises to them.

I've never noticed these things (except the last one, which I just thought was sweet) and as far as I know none of these things has impacted on his daily life (he certainly eats enough food!).

Do you think these are Aspergers traits, or OCD traits?

Do you think they could cause concern in the future?

Has anyone else had their Aspie do similar things?

Nerddette

I've been like that all my life. For as longa s I can remember. I won't feel sorry for a person. But I wasted 25 dollars on a toy because i thought it looked sad in the shop. (I was about 7 then) I often buy things like cushions or plants because I think they look sad in the shop. (to this day)

I feel sorry for chairs, houses, letterboxes (not really anymore though) or several objects. I feel sorry for plants the most. (but they are alive so I don't know if they count).

I don't know if this is directly related to AS, but I do think it is directly related to how our brains are wired, although many aspies might not be like this.

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2006, 10:00 pm

ive always liked certain inanimate objects thru my life though the obsession as gone from one to the next
from age 3 i was obessed and stuck by a car garage toy, in which there wa sa lift, and a yellow downhill ramp that encircled the garage building back the to the bottom. i would play wuth this toy every day at daycare and not bother trying to talk to the other children. i wasnt interested in them at all. just the toy and myself.

when i was 3 or 4 i got a cuddly stuffed rabbit who i named rachel. i took it everywhere with me, and sneaked it to school in my bag most days till i was about 1 or 15.
then the rabbit obsession moved to the drums... which id been playing since age 13, bit i got myown when i was 14 and it wa only about 3 days b4 i kissed one of them, and then they made their way next to my bed, then on the bed, then in the bed with me cuddling them. usually only one drum at a time, but sometimes i liked the bass drum, with the 2 rack toms attached to it, and id lay down and lay the bass drum on my stomach then kiss the 2 rack toms. i have doneother things with my drums awell that ive enjoyed... for one ive used the drumsticks (use your imagination lol)
always an old pair that id never touch a drum with again lol
bit i also liked the drum themselves touching on me in bed. if i wasnt kissing or cuddling them theyd be still touching me where it kinda feels good (yep its imagination time again foks!)... an that was confession time for me... not even my parent know that i ever did anything besides kissing them and taking them to bed to cuddle. so there you have it. im all open lol

over the last 2 years or so ive slowly become more and more obsessed with America. th country, and the people in it and the way of life. i just love it.
the inimate objects thing plays a part here because ive become obsesed with the American Flag. i like my flag alot and i often wear it, even thoigh i know its against flag etiquete rules. this is the only one rule that i break, but im buyin clothes with the Flag on now so that i dont break the rules anymore. there was a Flag on ebay i liked alot.. it was huge and well priced, but it was pictured layed out on the floor, so i didnt buy it, because the Flag isnt supposed to ever be put on the floor. i love the Star Spangled Banner.. i can hear it 50 times a day and not get fed up of the words or the tune i sing it about 3 times a day.... im evengoing to have a tattoo done with the Flag on it. it is goin to be in a heart shape with ''America the Beautiful'' above and below it and placed on left side of my chest. i hate needles. but im prepeared to go though it to get my flag on me forever.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 11:18 pm

doordoctor wrote:
great cockney, how many routies do u have now???

i bet you were soooooo happy and thought you were dreaming when you found it.

I have 12 Routies. 10 Red ones, and two little Clocks. One Silver-Plated one and One Gold-Plated one. :D

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 6:38 am

ooooooo NICE :D

TubbyChef
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2006, 7:42 am

My son (9 year old diagnosed Aspergers) used to collect drinking straws (used ones from his drinks cartons). This was a bit of a problem at school because the dinner ladies kept trying to throw them away. They were his 'Straw Family', called the 'Strawies'. Once this was fully understood he was allowed to keep them and all was well again! :D .

We didn't know he was an Aspie back then, just a little, erm....different!! :lol: .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 12:14 am

I feel more connected to objects than I feel towards people.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 6:53 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel more connected to objects than I feel towards people.

i feel about same way, since with an aspie its hard to have human friends the hardware takes the palce of human friends since i dont have many human friends.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 9:48 pm

I think it has to do with the choice. With an object, you can play the way you want, and when you don't want to play with it, it'll always be there waiting for you. (Well, unless thoughtless parents throw it away, but that's not the point.) With a person, you have to cooperate and compromise, and given most aspies' low negotiating skills, they'll have to play the way the other person wants. Is it any surprise that most aspies choose objects over people?

OurChris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2006, 12:38 pm

Well I have not seen Chris feel for objects (considering that he decapitates and maims his beloved Star Wars figures-he usually repairs them). But I know I totally did it as a child! I would always feel sorry each time I got to buy a toy for all of the ones left behind. Especially stuffed animals. Who knows?!

Katherine :)

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2006, 7:44 pm

Interesting note,one of my girlfriend's cats had kittens, and we gave one away to a friend of hers. We were all sad because he'd be all lonely, so we gave one of it's sisters to them so they could have eachother. :D

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 2:27 am

My unprofessional opinion.
We are all very complicated beings. There are cultures that honor trees, cultures that honor the land, cultures that honer the spirits of the dead.....and so on.

There are things we do not do in this culture, but that doesn't mean the capacity isn't there.

What about people who truely believe a good luck charm brings them good luck...I mean truely believe it? Are they abnormal? I would say no. If drummer girl hugs her drums, if it makes her feel comfortable, what is the harm? It may continue for quite some time, and then, again, it might be replaced by a nice warm cuddly man someday. I feel sorry for my old car when it is time to get rid of it. I am having a major trauma over moving out of the house I grew up in, even though we're moving to a big beautiful house. I am an animist, I admit it, but is that so bad? I hear the voices of my dead parents on the wind when I need emotional comfort, is that pathology? I don't think so.

There will come a time when your kid adjusts his priorities, but don't rush it. He'll get there himself.
btdt

Pi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2006, 10:09 am

Would anybody else run back into a burning building to try and save their books?

*raises hand*

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2006, 2:26 pm

Pi wrote:
Would anybody else run back into a burning building to try and save their books?

*raises hand*

Me too. Here's an illustrated example. When I was a kid (in year 1989), I was watching TV with my parents, and I saw some movie or documentary about a sinking ship. People were panicking, and the captain ordered: "Throw everything overboard except water and lifesaving devices; we need to lighten the load." At that point, I thought to myself: "If I was there, I'd rather jump overboard myself with no life vest, than throw favorite books or toys into the ocean."

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2006, 1:16 am

When I was about four years old, there was a coffee cup with a couple of siamese cats painted on it that sat in our kitchen cabinets. I decided I wanted to use it for a drink of juice since it was my favorite cup, so I climbed up onto the counter to retrieve it. Unfortunately, as soon as I was able to get a hold of it, I accidentally dropped it and it smashed all over the floor. I started crying and screaming because that was my favorite cup and I had destroyed it. My parents rushed over and saw that I had been badly cut. I seriously didn't even notice that pretty much my whole pinky had been sliced. I just missed that cup!

Now I'm seventeen years old and I am obsessed with the movie, Cars. I have a couple of the die-cast cars (a red Lightning McQueen and a blue Lightning McQueen, which is very rare). I had already owned the red one about a month before I bought the blue one. Ever since I got the blue one, I always felt as if I was neglecting the red one, which was making him become very depressed. I mean, I had even taken the blue one to the county fair, Skyline Chili, White Castle, and even the mall! The red one only got to sit in the car, or inside my house. I felt so bad for neglecting him like that and giving all my attention to the blue one. Now I play with them both equally, especially when I force them to race down the upstairs runway. They have yet to drive through the spindles, which are on both sides! But yeah, I treat those little Lightning McQueens better than my actual car! lol

These are just a couple of examples of how I've felt sorry for inanimate objects. Trust me, there are a lot more times than just these!

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 8:55 am

yea sad when something you like gets broken. hey you like that movie cars?? cool I WANT TO SEE IT!! !

i cant wait to get that movie larry the cable guy health inspector(hmmm birthday is in exactly a month) i think target has the movie on dvd (cant wait for cars to do same)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 3:05 pm

I've seen Cars ten times! The people at the theaters around here were always like, "Back to see Cars again?" lol Too bad it's not in theaters anymore. I guess I'll have to wait for the November 7th DVD release. In the meantime, I'll keep buying Cars merchandise. A couple of kids came over to our house last night (their parents came over to purchase a dining room table) and when the kids saw B-1 (my first of my two bedrooms), they couldn't believe all the Cars stuff I have. I'll try to take some pictures of it sometime. We need to get new batteries for the camera though, so yeah. Oh, and about Larry the Cable Guy, my friend, Sarah, has one of his DVDs of Blue Collar Comedy. I've only seen part of it, though. But she fills me in on everything!