Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

dadelus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2010, 1:19 am

If one parent is Aspie, what percentage of children are likely to be?
If both parents are Aspie, again, what percentage of children are likely to be?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 9:14 am

It isn't simple to calculate, because there doesn't seem to be a single gene responsible for autism (if there were, it would already have been easily identified.) Multiple genes are involved, and there may be some interaction with the environment causing the genes to be "switched on" or "off".

That said, two people with the expressed recessive genes for AS (in other words, diagnosable on the spectrum) would probably have at least a 50/50 chance of having a child with AS--possibly higher.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 11:48 am

Of my family, 60% of fathers side show some autistic traits. Of them, around 4 seem to be diagnosable. (There are around 30 that I've met.) Of those I've met on mothers side, she is the only one with strong traits. Now, I am AS, sister is not. Brother, who does not share a father, is possible AS.

Looking at that, I'd have trouble finding the genetic component, as you would assume father's side is the carrier. Yet more children of mothers side show signs. That's the problem researchers are running into. AS and other spectrum disorders follow none of the known inheritance paths.

To answer your question, the likelihood is more than zero and less than one hundred.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2010, 1:18 pm

I have 9 family members on my father's side that are somewhere on the spectrum, including my father. I have Aspergers, and both of my sons have AS. I thought the youngest had PDD-NOS, but it was AS. My daughter has Rett Syndrome, which is an ASD, but from what I'm reading, genetically unrelated.

Blueberis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Mar 2010, 1:49 pm

Interesting thread.. hmm.. I know that my mother has AS, and family rumors say that her grandmother was wacky (whatever that means, take it or leave it).. And my sister shows signs of AS but I'm still not convinces it isn't nurture v.s. nature..

That being said my mother has 10 brothers and sisters who are incredibly intelligent and though they don't have the full symptoms that I see with my mother, they could have a touch of AS???

Jeff and I have often wondered if we could have children with AS? Even though we are both NT?? We have two children now who seem to both be NT but they are still quite young.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2010, 1:54 pm

AS transmissibility thread <Same topic from a couple days ago