Anything that triggered you to get WP?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:54 pm

I think I found out about WP in Tony Attwood's book about AS.

Yeah you can't join the military if you have an ASD. The don't ask don't tell policy applies to gay people. The militaries standards are a lot higher these days, although people with AS shouldn't be disqualified if they are able to function without meds and/or therapy. Having bad social skills is not really a liability.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:50 pm

I just happened to find this site while searching Asperger's Syndrome on Wikipedia, after making a few posts here I discovered that I really liked this site! :D

SpongeBobRocksMao!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 6:03 pm

It blows my mind that I've been posting here, nonstop, since the Summer of 2004.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 6:23 pm

I wanted to learn a bit more about my friend's way of thinking, because he had it. Then I found I related, and ASDs became my special interest, and I joined for myself. :P

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 8:19 pm

I decided to join the autism communities again so I was thinking about it and did a search for aspie sites and I found this site and AFF. I joined them both. I joined AFF and then here. I lurked her first and read posts to see what it was like and I didn't see any whining or people using their AS as an excuse and expecting special treatment. So I decided to try the communities again.

Though I did see one person using his AS as an excuse when he was whining about being banned from another forum and he was doing loop holes in their rules. Even that place doesn't allow that.

This was back in 2006. I joined August 27th. I joined AFF on the 25th.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 10:57 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
_Square_Peg_ wrote:
I got discharged from the navy because of my Asperger's, but I didn't want to go back to living with my parents because I feel like I'm nothing but a disappointment to them. Luckily I managed to make a friend who has a spare room in his apartment & is letting me stay until I'm able to support myself. And just when I thought that I had a chance of surviving in this world, I ended up losing my cell phone. That's when I decided to look up Aspie forums to talk about my problems & see if anyone else has to deal with similar issues. And thus I stumbled across WP.
I know having an emotional breakdown over a lost cell phone seems a bit ridiculous, but it was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back. All the while I couldn't help but think: "MY PARENTS DISOWNED ME, THE NAVY THREW ME OUT, AND I CAN'T EVEN HOLD ONTO A PHONE! IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR ME!?"

Geez that's harsh.... >_<

I've had people tell me that if I want to get hired, never mention aspergers. It seems society is more apt to being sympathetic with someone who has a physical "disability" but not someone with a mental one.

I was having a nervous break down like every other day. I thought if I told them that the reason I was like that was because I'm an Aspie, that they'd help me. But no. My Master Chief kept telling me "You didn't let the military down, the military let you down." And I thought to myself: "Well why can't they change? The United States Navy has had the same system going for who knows how long. Can't they see that times are different? Can't they see that they'll lose more sailors if they don't improve their situation?"
But I can't say I wasn't happy to leave. Joining the Navy was my parents' idea, not mine. Because of my condition, they didn't think I was able to live on my own & that I need someone to look out for me all the time. So they figure the military will babysit me.
But that's not the life I want. My dream is to be a character designer for animated movies & such. Are people in the art & media world more lenient towards people with mental conditions? Cuz I'm not so sure if my Asperger's will affect me or how much, plus it seems like a lot of artists, directors, etc. have AS.

Descartes wrote:
I didn't know you could get discharged from the Navy for having Asperger's. Is there some kind of Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy against people with Autism that I don't know about? :lol:

I have no idea. I knew the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy applied to sexuality, but I didn't know it applied to autism as well. One of my ship-mates was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder but the Navy didn't discharge her. But then again she was on medication. If my condition could've been controlled with meds, do you think they would've let me stay in?

Last edited by _Square_Peg_ on 18 Mar 2010, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevecam
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2010, 12:01 am

I came here because I wanted to see the social side of Aspergers

Doctors kept on telling me that people like me don't socialize, and that we all keep to ourselves, and I automatically knew that was wrong

And about the military, if you don't say anything about your autistic spectrum diagnoses then why should they care? Unless you are being incredibly naive and narcissistic then I don't think anyone would care

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:35 am

I was on a social anxiety site when a guy created an Asperger's thread there & said he used to help run this site (or something similar) & he posted a link to here. I had been thinking that I was on the spectrum for a while & had even been told by a therapist that she thought I had Asperger's, so I followed the link & created an account after I read some of the posts & could relate to a lot of them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:46 am

I felt lonely and I didn't feel that my family members understood, or accepted me, so I came here in 2004.

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 2:32 am

You all have much more interesting stories than mine. :p I'm having trouble feeling like I belong being undiagnosed and unsure and all... And I don't exactly have a story of hardship that brought me here.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

Last year, a man that I work with suggested to me that I join this web site, which I had never heard of before. I wanted to try to meet & communicate with other people that I could relate to, and to try & be more active in my community & online too. I never fit in well with other people before, and I wanted to try & find other people who were the same way as me. I was severely depressed because I had just broken up with my abusive girlfriend, and my antidepressant medication was not working any more. I also joined another web site called meetup.com, to try to get together with other adults with Asperger's syndrome like myself.

At first, I was just playing games on the site, like number & counting games, word games, and TV & movie games, and also welcoming new members to the site. I liked them at first, but I quickly got tired of them, and I was still depressed, so I quit posting on Wrong Planet for a while. Earlier this year, things improved in my life, and I was suddenly happy again. About 2 months ago, I logged back in to Wrong Planet after my long absence, just to see what was new on the site, and I found some amazing stories & fascinating new members that I could completely relate to, so I decided to start posting stories about myself, and also write to other members. I am glad that I came back, and I have really enjoyed being back on Wrong Planet again.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

I love forums and I had heard about this one before. I wanted to look at it and possibly join, but I was shy. But one day I was browsing another forum, and someone posted a link to WP on it. I followed the link and decided to join.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

I joined a forum for one of my special interests and decided I liked forums. Then I discovered WP and debated if I should join. Then I accidentally posted something so ridiculous on the other forum that it led to some people thinking I was a troll. I stayed away from forums for a while after that. Then I decided to give forums another try by joining WP.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Sep 2017, 12:20 am

A couple members from a couple different forums mentioned this place but I didn't dwell on it much till I was having problems on the other forums I went to for awhile & realized that some of the things I was posting about could of been related to Aspergers. I decided to join here hopping the members on this forum would be different & most of em were so I haven't left.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:25 am

I was referred to this site years ago by a friend on a cat site I used to visit when I mentioned I thought I had strong Asperger syndrome traits. That was ten years ago. I talked with some interesting people then. I stopped for a while because it was getting very depressing. My life started to go downhill, reaching a low point between 2011-2012. I only came back last year, when things were beginning to look up.

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2017, 4:02 am

I had been thinking of joining it for a while, but I wasn't sure if it was okay to because I haven't been tested or diagnosed with anything besides selective mutism.

When I searched for certain things on Google, there were always threads from here in the results. I thought it would be a good way to find people who I could relate to, and I thought it looked like a nice forum. Everyone here seems to be nice to each other. :) As well as this, at the time I joined, I had a boyfriend with Aspergers, so I was reading more about it than usual.

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149