The results from my son's evaluation

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

pragmaticmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Mar 2010, 2:54 pm

Hello all! Well, many of you responded to my prior post about the diagnostic path we were on so I thought I would share what the psychologist shared with me:

His IQ score was average and he showed very high scores in spatial reasoning (93 percentile), but below average scores in language and communication (16th percentile). It was interesting to me because he has a great vocabulary, but his ability to follow instructions and processing speed were the elements that really dinged his scores.

In combination with the IQ test and the Vineland Screening questionnaire I completed and the psychologist's observations of Owen during the testing, she concluded that he had Autism. We walked throught the diagnostic criteria together. I was surprised because as I mentioned in my previous post, I had read a great deal on Asperger's and really felt that was where we were going to land. I guess that it won't make too much of a difference if they end up making the proposed changes to the DSM....

Anyway, I am already being met with doubt and speculation. My son is high-functioning and because he is social, I think people can't wrap their minds around how he could be on the spectrum. I think most people picture Rain Man and that really isn't him.

Looks like this is going to be my new "hang out" so thanks again for all the great info here!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

The IQ test disparities sound much like my son's. I think that is a huge part of an AS diagnosis, because it is maybe the least subjective part and apparently sticks out like a sore thumb.

We were met with speculation and doubt for years. But my family has been catching on ... took, what, 5 years?! ! Rain man is still very much the prevalent image, as are all the doom and gloom ads from Autism Speaks. Of course, many parents with so-called lower functioning children really question that our kids have anything similar, and I understand where they are coming from in terms of real life prognosis, but it really is the same condition, and I feel like I see it so clearly at this point (feel like may not, of course, equal reality ;) ). Hopefully those around you will catch on. If not ... well, you've got plenty of company for griping about that on here.

Our kids are gifts. While our journeys with them may not follow the so-called normal course, it can still be a wonderful journey and every moment should be cherished.

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 3:43 pm

Welcome to the club! :) My sons had similar highs and lows in their IQ testing too, and are also very high functioning. They are now 10 and one is getting particularly good at "faking people out" for short periods of time, so we continue to encounter the speculation and doubt you mentioned.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm

Well, it sounds like you are handling it pretty well. Try not to worry about what others think. They are not the parents of your son. Some in our family still think that since my son is verbal and pronounces big words that he is not autistic. Just keep pressing forward and try to get the services that are going to help your son. I think it is a big plus that your son has a desire to be social. My son really doesn't seem to care at all about other kids, so I think the desire to be social will motivate him to want to learn how.

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 5:08 pm

Just remember that it's autism. It's not the end of the world. Welcome to WrongPlanet. :)

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2010, 6:41 pm

pragmaticmom wrote:
His IQ score was average and he showed very high scores in spatial reasoning (93 percentile), but below average scores in language and communication (16th percentile).

Congratulations, he's good at the important stuff!

Quote:
I think most people picture Rain Man and that really isn't him.

Autism diagnoses include a pretty broad range of people. No one stereotype can really capture it.