Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2010, 10:47 am

Hello.
My little white fluffy rabbit Tobby was put to death 5 May 2009. I miss him very much!
He became 5 years old, and the vet thought he had got a tumour or such.

My parents refuse letting me get a new rabbit now after Tobby's death.
They say: "You didn't care about him anyway!!", but that's not true at all. :(
I've told them that I would help them cleaning, do better in school (which means making friends and talk more), that I will buy food and everything the rabbit needs by myself ... but they say NO!
But that was a long time ago. Now, after I got my Asperger's diagnosis, they know what problems I have.
For example they understand that making friends is tougher than they knew from the start.
Can I benefit from my problems? Like saying: I will try to talk more in school, and be more sociable, if I get a rabbit.

I want to buy a rabbit this summer. I would love it.
My parents are stubborn! I really need your advice, because I adore rabbits and want to own one.
My sister may get a dog if she pays for it. Because she wants a dog. I want a rabbit. I don't get a rabbit although I would pay for it! And do you know why? Because I have these stupid problems in social interaction and they know that I would never be able to take care of the rabbit all by myself. My sister has not these problems. My parents discriminate me. :evil:

Hugs from a sad teen.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 11:07 am

I hope that you do get to have a rabbit. That being said, I have a similar story about discrimination, thought it's not related to pets.

I kept on asking and convincing my parents to let me babysit, at the age of 15, because my sister who was 12, was doing it, at the time. They kept on saying, NO. It got to the point where I was starting to threaten suicide, because I felt like a loser who was going to grow up to be living in the streets, with no job skills or social skills. I was discriminated against, because I'm HFA.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2010, 12:14 pm

At first I was going to say, that your parents are the ones in charge, it's their hours and such, but if they will allow your sister to own a dog, I do see your problem.

In such a situation it is important to be cunning like a fox.
You need a plan.
Perhaps they want you to prove to them, that you are going to try to improve your social skills and that you are capable of paying for another rabbit?

Have you told them what a rabbit would mean to you?
Personally I find pets to be very soothing and they certainly have a positive effect on stress.

I'm sorry to hear about Tobby by the way. It's never easy losing a pet.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:35 pm

Most parents worry that their children will spend more time socializing than taking care of a pet. But seeing as how this is definitely not the case, I find this to be terribly unfair (especially since your sister is allowed to have a dog). They shouldn't treat you like this just because you happen to be an Aspie, it's not your fault you're born that way.
This is from personal experience, but it seems to me that Aspies connect with animals more easily than with other people. And if that's the case, then you'd probably be a great care taker.

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2010, 2:07 pm

I value your replies. :)

It seems hopeless. I talked to my parents yesterday. In the start, they said "no" over and over again, but they stopped answering after a few minutes. I asked about why my sister could buy a dog, and they told me that she's always wanted a dog. I hate them and their crummy answers!
I'm looking forward to the day I move away from my evil parents, then I will buy an own rabbit!

But I haven't given up ... :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:36 pm

Your parents seem like Nazis to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:40 pm

It looks like they don't want to take care of the rabbit and they want you to do it on your own. Since you can't do that, they refuse to get you a rabbit or they have to help take care of it too. Lot of parents want their kids to be responsible by taking care of their own pets, not do it for them. If their kids can't do it, they say no.

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2010, 2:51 pm

CockneyRebel: To me too.
League_Girl: Yes. They do not want to take care of the rabbit, and since I've already had Tobby, they know that I can't do everything on my own. I can clean the cage, feed the rabbit, give it water, take it for a walk--but I cannot go into shops to buy things, or ask anyone to caretake the rabbit while we are on vacation. The social things, you know ... :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 2:57 pm

So you can take care of the rabbit. You just can't buy things on your own or ask people to take care of it when you are away.
Didn't they ever help you with those skills while you had Tobby?

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2010, 3:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
So you can take care of the rabbit. You just can't buy things on your own or ask people to take care of it when you are away.

They had to. And they didn't enjoy it. They were relieved when Tobby died.
When I was sad after Tobby's death, Dad said: "It was just a rabbit."
We had an old dog recently which also is put down, and my sister (who may get a dog) was sad.
My dad said to her: "I feel so sorry for you, you can get a new dog!"
And because I can't cry among others, they didn't feel sorry for me.

They must have something against me.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

Withdrawn wrote:
I value your replies. :)

It seems hopeless. I talked to my parents yesterday. In the start, they said "no" over and over again, but they stopped answering after a few minutes. I asked about why my sister could buy a dog, and they told me that she's always wanted a dog. I hate them and their crummy answers!
I'm looking forward to the day I move away from my evil parents, then I will buy an own rabbit!

But I haven't given up ... :P

Why just buy one rabbit? Why not buy a whole bunch of rabbits and start up a kingdom of rabbits? :lol:

Withdrawn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

Descartes wrote:
Why just buy one rabbit? Why not buy a whole bunch of rabbits and start up a kingdom of rabbits? :lol:

I've actually been thinking about that. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:51 pm

I think that a kingdom of rabbits would be pretty cool. 8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 5:06 pm

Withdrawn wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

They had to. And they didn't enjoy it. They were relieved when Tobby died.
When I was sad after Tobby's death, Dad said: "It was just a rabbit."
We had an old dog recently which also is put down, and my sister (who may get a dog) was sad.
My dad said to her: "I feel so sorry for you, you can get a new dog!"
And because I can't cry among others, they didn't feel sorry for me.

They must have something against me.

How do you expect a 14 year old to buy stuff for their pet? Their allowance?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:14 am

i wanna mint-condition 1979 VW rabbit. my favorite rabbit, living or inanimate.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 3:52 am

I want to be given a chance to hunt the Vorpal bunny.

It'll probably kill me, but it'll be a good death.