Do/did you like to be around the teacher more than peers?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JP88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Oct 2010, 1:49 am

Yeah I'm told and I can see that I get along with older people better than peers at my age, I remember when I was in elementary school, I would always sit in the front of the bus and talk to the bus driver named Art. I would always volunteer to clean the chalkboard as everyone waited for the bus standing behind their put up chair. I always asked many questions and always talked to my teachers when I was small. I also use to give them presents up until I think 6th grade.

Anyway in high school, I was very quiet most of the time and I know many teachers realized that I wasn't sociable, popular, and got bullied. My lonliest, saddest feelings came when a class was done early:

My senior year was rough with this...I had 3 classes with no friends or anyone I could talk to in.

*Physics - Had mostly popular girls/guys in class...There were lab tables on 2 ends of the room with a huge open area in the middle and I sat on the right side by myself with only 2 girls in front of me and 2 people behind me, 1 at each desk too (One was a weird girl and the other was a new girl)

*Math - This was a sad one...I sat at the back of the room by myself and when class ended early I heard every story by the popular girls and guys. Many things about ball, etc... The teacher was a young girl and the few girls would chat with her every time while everyone else had a partner, I just sat with a blank stare waiting for the bell to ring. Many times I saw my teacher look at me and feel sorry, and that got me sad.

*Computer Networking - This one was really personal. It was a 2 part course in which I had the same teacher last year and most of my class, which was only 7. All guys. I didn't like 4 of them as they usually were jerks to me and the other 2 were okay, I usually sat next to a pair of best friends, one I didn't like and the other was cool. The teacher obviously knew us all for 2 years before this as everyone took a basic cpu class in 10th grade and then all of us took her class last year. So she knew how everyone acted, etc... Well many times events like the ball or homecoming would brought up and I remember when she asked if I was going and it was really tough to hold back tears. Another time one of the kids said how he was accepted to state college, so she asked me if I had yet since she knew that was my aspiration and I told her I got "waited list"...then also everyone would open up about relationships to her, school gossip, whatever. It was like she saw how everyone else was normal, had social skills, and then there is me in the corner, quiet as a rock. I could tell she felt bad for me and I hated it. I never wanted that, I always wanted teacher to be proud and say "Wow, that kid was one of the best I ever taught."

I just felt like a failure and a dissapointment. I wish I was back in HS though and I wish I could start over from Middle School where I tarnished my reputation for good.

Wow that was a long rant, had to blow off this steam.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:22 am

I generally found adults to be easier to deal with than other kids because of their "maturity."

sylbao
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2010, 11:06 am

I used to prefer teachers too. But not only for the "professionnal" thing. I think I was looking for a mommy. :roll:
Now I'm more comfortable with kids. Maybe they're less "mature" but they're less normalized too !

lunairetic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

I had great maths and physics teachers in high school... I spent a lot of time with them, talking not only about science. I miss them very much (and I don't miss any of my peers), but my professors at University seem to be great too, so although I'm far away from home, the change isn't that hard.
I think I just like physics and maths people... and just none of my peers shared my interests.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2010, 1:50 am

Better not to think about the high school years. Really like the academic life...high school was just a necessary step in getting there.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:53 am

I did in primary school, I did in secondary school, and I do in college.

space_cadett
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2010, 8:12 pm

When I was in Nursery School, I would refuse to sit with the other kids during story time, I would only sit next to the teacher. I wasn't particularly shy or anything and definitely not a teachers pet but it just seemed the natural thing to do. I guess I always felt like I didn't belong with the group. Luckily the teacher was nice enough to put up with it, though they did recommend my mother get a child psychologist in (I didn't play with the other kids).

Later on, I guess I realized that sitting next to the teacher makes you look like a teachers' pet but I still remember always feeling like I had a "one on one" relationship with my teachers, and I would talk to them but not discuss things with other kids; but suddenly in grade 1, the teachers really seemed to discourage this, which hurt.

Later on, in Junior High, it seemed a lot of the teachers started favouring the popular kids over the misfits. I realize now that the teachers were probably not the most popular kids growing up, and they probably felt a bit "cool" if they were in the popular kids' good books.

I'm very shy now, I'd like to get to know my teachers better but I always think they probably want to get me out of their hair. Such a change from how I used to be... wish I could get past that hurdle.

audetc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2010, 7:16 pm

I also have found that I prefer to be around my teachers more. I feel increasingly ackward around my classmates and try to avoid most interaction with them, but I actually have a tendency to seek out my favorite teacher on my lunch break. I sometimes find myself becoming offended if I pass one of my teachers and they don't seem to see me, yet couldn't care less if one of my freinds don't notice me. There was only one case where I didn't prefer my teacher and I had actually started to stay home to avoid his class. It wasn't anything he did deliberately, but the tone of his voice often sent me into a panic. My father was abusive and when he use to emotionally attack me he would use a similar tone of voice and I have learned to associate that tone as negative and harmful, even though the teacher was saying nothing remotely negative.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm

I did in high school. In fact, teachers were the only ones I talked toward.

In college, I do not talk to anyone. The professors and faculty are very busy. My peers are not understanding and will often disengage with me. At the moment, I feel awfully alone. I will get through it eventually. I do not mind "lone wolf" style.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm

I always liked to be around the teacher. She or he wasn't an idiotic bullying child.

Galactus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I generally found adults to be easier to deal with than other kids because of their "maturity."

The same thing can be said for me....

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:00 pm

Yes, I have always preferred to be around teachers than around peers. I still do, actually.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm

I've always preferred teachers. I'm more comfortable around them, and I get the impression that they're interested in what I have to say. I've had some teachers I didn't really connect with, but I've had a lot of teachers that I really liked and got along with. I still keep in touch with my high school psychology teacher. Even now that I'm better at talking to my peers, I still prefer my professors.

u
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2010, 12:32 am

It's hard for me to really talk to anyone anymore, but in elementary school, I remember being much more comfortable talking to teachers than to other students.

I think I still am, maybe, but not by quite as much.

lisacmeier
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

if someone was interesting then i liked being around them , but students rarely had anything that made a difference to do or say, teachers rarely ran out. I'm a girl, being social was important to me i just couldn't "act" it right so I was uncomfortable around just students for any amount of unstructured time. If I had something to figure out or solve Then i could do it right. I felt less of a wierdo and more like a part of what was going on. am i rambling?.... nerves

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2010, 2:00 am

Funnily enough, this never occurred to me at all in school. XD

In fact, primary school was quite possibly the best time of my life 'cause I could associate with everyone my age so easily. :D

High school, however.... what a pain in the a$$. By year 12, I was a total misanthrope (and I still am) and could only really associate with those younger/older than I was.

I've been antisocial ever since - my age group is utterly insufferable. :(