My fourth-grader is shutting down at school.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Laar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2010, 7:56 am

Tracker wrote:
Well, yes I agree that knowing how to print legibly (even if it takes a while) and write out basic words is important. My problem isn't with that. My problem is when the spelling tests make sure you know how to spell words like eponymous, xylophone, or incongruity. Those are words you are never going to use on forms at the doctor's office. If this was first grade and the person was still learning basic words then I could see them being useful, but by the time you get to fourth grade, the vocab words start getting ridiculous.

+1 and there is always the dictionary.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 7:03 pm

I agree with you Caitlin. It sounds to as though the teacher is taking your son's behavior personally. A big bad no for any one in education to do so. I have just insisted on a meeting with my 13yo sons teachers where, instead of attending in person, I submitted my input through a letter about my son. They were trying to make him attend after school detention. As far as my aspie is concerned school and personal life don't mix! School ends at three and everything about school is left at the gate, including mates. They already knew this and other AS traits of his. I came in singing discrimination. Why is my son being punished for displaying AS behaviours? Things have settled again, for now....I have been advocating for my son since he started school. He was only diagnosed with Asperger's last June.
I don't mean for him to get away with doing the wrong thing. I simply feel I must remind people in education to keep consequences real..and be very careful of what they are punishing him for..and to please maintain a sense of humour! :P