Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MichelleRM78
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2010, 8:40 am

I don't know why I am posting this, but this thread reminds of something really neat.

When my son was in 3rd grade, he invited an autistic boy to his bowling birthday party. It was the first party this boy had ever been invited to. No one but my son really talked to him- his mom stayed the whole time. My son got questioned as to why he would invite this boy. He was scared to death of public toilets and my son would go to the bathroom with him when he wanted to go.

What no one realized, was that bowling was this kid's special interest. While the rest of the 3rd graders were bowling 70's and 80's, this boy came out with a score of over 200. It was the NEATEST thing I ever experienced. All of a sudden, this child, who no one could relate to or even talk to, was the "king" of bowling. It was like a light went on in all their heads.

I guess, when I think of this, I am reminded that some things that may seem really hard (taking a kid to a bday party where pretty much no one likes him), end up to be really great experiences.

Mattsmum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Mar 2010, 9:16 am

Michelle, that's a great story. Our kids are always surprising and should never be underestimated 8)

sbombard15
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Mar 2010, 8:09 pm

Yes you have to understand that no to Aspies are alike. Some may thrive at birthday parties while others are like me. All you can do is raise him the best you can and always be there for him and hope he turns out a great person.

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2010, 5:05 am

\o/ Make that kid Prime Minister. It's about time we got someone who tells the truth. :D

He was probably just saying what at least half the other kids were thinking.

My son is 13 and no better. Don't ask for his opinion unless you want to hear it. ;)
My Mum is marginally better. She is only 70.

"How can it not know what it is?"