Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2010, 12:33 am

Is there a reason why you can't call your lizard an ESA rather than a service animal? Must it be a service lizard?

Most store owners would probably be sympathetic to the fact that your ESA lizard keeps you from having panic attacks and would have no problem allowing you in. However, if they didn't, you must respect that they are following the law and not blackmail or call them names because of that. Health inspectors take non-service animals being anywhere near where food is sold extremely serious and your lizard could cost someone their license. You can't blame someone for trying to protect their livelihood.

As for going into hospital, sorry, but I doubt Pippin would be allowed. Reptiles can carry some nasty bacterias on their skin and it is just too much of a health risk to allow a lizard into a place that houses immuno-compromised people.

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2010, 7:43 am

Congrats. Nice idea with a Service lizard instead of dog. :)
You are lucky that she can keep panic attacs away from you.
Why can't you train her??

As to RainSongs research, it's correct, there'll be trouble ahead, when you claim her SA. And even more trouble, if you diss the shops in public/internet. But of course you can just simply stay away from those places. No harm done, if you keep in mind those ADA rules. [Edit: Do that rules apply at all in "Kalahari Desert"?]
I like the idea of a vest with a tag though. What about a tag saying "Support Pet"? Is that one restricted, too?
Personally I think, most people will look at Pippin more with amazement than with annoyance.
Isn't she an indicator as whom to socialize with? (Like in: "I try to avoid socializing with people who my dog doesn't like", since my pet has more sense for that than I have :wink: )
Good luck.
(edit: I just googled "bearded dragon" they are really so cute!)
/

Last edited by pixxie69 on 28 Mar 2010, 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2010, 7:55 am

Wow, a service lizard! that is too cool! I wish I could take my custom broadsword out in public as a "service sword". Damn Canadian laws against swords and long bows! :roll:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 8:09 am

I can undertstand a grocery store kicking me out. But a card shop or art store? If I do have to fly with her, couldn't I just put her under the seat? Anyway, I don't like to fly. If I really do have to have gallblader surgery I'm going to tell them to forget it.

HikariOkami
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2010, 9:45 pm

Why not just call her an ESA? Most places won't know the difference between a SA and an ESA, and they can't get you in trouble for bringing an animal in if they LET you bring it in, SA or not. There will still be places you can't go with Pippin, but that's better than all that legal trouble, right?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm

HikariOkami wrote:
Why not just call her an ESA? Most places won't know the difference between a SA and an ESA, and they can't get you in trouble for bringing an animal in if they LET you bring it in, SA or not. There will still be places you can't go with Pippin, but that's better than all that legal trouble, right?

Because I wasn't aware of that term and I don't think most people are either. People will probably want to know what an ESA is and will think lower of me because of the stigma of mental illnesses and such. ESA or service animal? What's the diffrence? She is doing a service and I don't plan to take her to the grocery store or to dinnner. If I do fly with her, why can't I put her in her carrier and put her under the seat? She dosen't mind being in her carrier. She has heat packs that can last for two days and I wrap her up in an unwashed T-shirt that still has my smell on it. This is how I brought her along when we moved from Ohio to Texas. The trip was via car but I do not see why I can't do the same thing on a plane trip which probably wouldn't be as long as the car trip (3 days). If I do have to go anywhere my mum and sister-in-law say they would be more than happy to babysit her.

Brennan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2010, 12:50 am

PunkyKat wrote:
Because I wasn't aware of that term and I don't think most people are either. People will probably want to know what an ESA is and will think lower of me because of the stigma of mental illnesses and such. ESA or service animal? What's the diffrence? She is doing a service and I don't plan to take her to the grocery store or to dinnner. If I do fly with her, why can't I put her in her carrier and put her under the seat? She dosen't mind being in her carrier. She has heat packs that can last for two days and I wrap her up in an unwashed T-shirt that still has my smell on it. This is how I brought her along when we moved from Ohio to Texas. The trip was via car but I do not see why I can't do the same thing on a plane trip which probably wouldn't be as long as the car trip (3 days). If I do have to go anywhere my mum and sister-in-law say they would be more than happy to babysit her.

With regards to the plane, airlines have very strict rules about animals being in the cabin and Rainsong mentioned something about needing to get approval for ESA animals to fly. It probably varies from airline to airlines, so you would need to check with them what their process is. However, don't assume that you will be automatically allowed to take her into the cabin with you, because without getting approval first, you won't.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 3:21 am

SCORE for aspie-reptile-people :D

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2010, 6:59 am

punky cat . i would say your better to call your lizard an emotional support animal . this will help you in a no pets allowed housing situation and also i believe when flying.

the fact your panic attacks are under control because of her is great , and i totally understand the importance of that , however the ADA is designed to give protection to those people with service animals , that is those animals who have actively been trained to accompany you and help you reduce the effects of your disability.

there are a couple types of places , theres places where health and hygene regulations apply ( restuarants , grocery stores etc ) those places would have a valid reason for refusing you entry or having you removed , if you were challenged in that sort of place you would likely lose , given that you would be hard pressed to actively demonstrate what she does to help you. you have to understand why people would doubt you ? i mean a service lizard is a pretty unlikely thing for a shop employee to come across right ?

then there are places , which dont really have a reason to exclude animals but do because they can , those places still have to let service animals in ( rember most service animals are dogs not lizards or other exotic species )

if you discretly took your lizard into places like that and he was guarentted not to be seen ,cause damage or otherwise be a nauisance . whos going to know . some of those places may be happy to let you in if you explain how she helps you with your panic attacks.

if they refuse you access , you aught to leave because if they called the police or you tried to invoke the protection of the ADA you would find yourself in a lot of hot water.

seperate yourself from the law,, from its rules and protection . be a pet owner who takes there pet places , nobody can complain about that , your not asking for special privalages they either let you in or dont .

your lizard is very special and there is no doubt he helps you a lot , but it wont help your panic to be made an example of because youve tried to stretch a rule to afford yourself protections , that would be hardly likely to be given to you by the courts.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2010, 7:03 am

there is a stigma attached to mental illness , the people with psychiatric service dogs come up against it but battle it when they can. ESA v SD the difference is in terms of protection , an ESA doesnt have the right to go with you into those places that only a SD can go . with regard to the mental illness thing , when the shop keepers ask you what she does and how she does it what will you say ?

Brennan wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 4:04 pm

How many times to I have to say this, I DO NOT plan to bring her into grocery stores, supermarkets or restraunts (cafe's, bistros, etc).

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:50 pm

The lizard's official designation would probably be "psychiatric service animal". An emotional support animal doesn't have the service animal's permission to go into public places, whereas a psychiatric service animal is an animal you take with you to help you with problems like anxiety attacks, and a regular service animal is an animal that is trained to perform some task for you.

Psychiatric service animals only have to be trained to be polite and non-disruptive (at minimum; they may be taught to do other things), but they have the same privileges regular service animals get. Emotional support animals, like my cats, have very limited privileges that consist mainly of being allowed into no-pets housing. A lizard as an emotional support animal wouldn't be what you want, because her function is to help with panic attacks, and that's needed anywhere, not just at home.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2010, 3:29 am

punky cat i know u said u dont plan on taking her into grocery stores restuarants etc , what i was trying to do is illustrate how even if u dont go in those places you potentially can still get in trouble if u demand access and protection from the ada.

callista pstchiatric service dogs are still trained to help there owners, just the same way guide dogs and other types of assistance dogs are .