Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2010, 7:22 pm

I'm on a roll, two topics in one day woo woo!

On a more serious note, Death. Anyone have lived though the emotional drama that is the passing of a family member or friend? Did it make you question your way of life? Scare you? Motivate you? What is your take on the issue of death?

My father passed three years ago from a heart attack, so I questioned my health and eventually came to the conclusion that I can't be reclusive my whole life, I gotta get out, stay healthy and change my outlook on life.

I ask this cause I've only met 2 people who have who are on the spectrum.

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2010, 7:30 pm

Well my take on death is that you cant do anything about it, you can hold on to the memories like and let the rest go.

One day you die your self, the only think you can do about this is to decide how you want to meet your death when your time comes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 8:01 pm

The death of my gradma - my dad's mum was brought on by drinking and smoking. That was 14 years ago. I've promised myself, from that day on, that I would never smoke, or drink. I've kept that promise, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 8:28 pm

The closest person to me who has passed away was my paternal grandmother. She passed away two and a half years ago. Even though I didn't cry much at the time of her death I'm starting to realize how much I miss her. :cry:

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 9:13 pm

I've experienced so many deaths in my family.

First was my mother who died of breast cancer when I was only 5.
Then my Aunt Jeanne (who's actually my dad's aunt) passed away too. She was like a 2nd mother to me.
Then my grandmother on my father's side. And eventually her husband followed afterward.

Now I'm concerned about my dog, who's going to be 17 in May. Dad keeps telling me that he's still happy & healthy and that's a huge relief to me. But I know that nobody lives on forever, not even dogs. So I'm still worrying about the day he's going to die.

IWishIWasCioran
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2010, 9:19 pm

"Anyone have lived though the emotional drama that is the passing of a family member or friend? Did it make you question your way of life? Scare you? Motivate you?"

- yes, no, no, no.

"What is your take on the issue of death?"

- I've no more desire to prolong my life than to extinguish it afore fate dictates, que sera sera. Death? How to offer a 'take' that which can only be imagined? To 'see' death in the form lifeless vessel 'nother person offers an incomplete picture i.e., is not the same 'being' dead yourself. As 'knowing' life pre-birth (just as death afore its embrace) be impossible, one cannot be as both -double impossibility. As such I have the same understanding that follows life - death - that I have what preceded birth.

Beyond said I no more believe there is God(s) than I believe there is not - 'believe' neither. However, EM Cioran offers this that I find agreement with: "Atheists, so ready with their invective, prove that they have someone in their sights. They should be less conceited; their emancipation is not so complete as they suppose: they have exactly the same notion of God as believers."

This another gem from EM: "To live in expectation, to count on the future: we are so accustomed to it that we have conceived the idea of immortality only out of a need to wait out eternity." Do not mistake a sobering thought such as this for resignation nor depression, necessarily...for in fact it may well be the answer.

IWishIWasCioran
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2010, 9:29 pm

One more EM attribution. A 'pessimism' his has been (courtesy some folks) traced to his childhood when his mother reputedly said that if she had known Cioran was going to be so unhappy, she would have aborted him.

As such, i.e., here today/gone tomorrow - young EM came to believe (in essence) 'life is but an accident - why take it all so seriously?'

Darksideblues42
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2010, 9:58 pm

I have lost both of my grandmothers, one while I was 3281 miles away 2 days before my birthday (She was Cremated on my birthday) and the other 2 days after Christmas, I made it to her bedside 7 minutes after she passed.

Death is part of life, and I know it does not get easier....each loss diminishes us....but you learn and move on, and endure, because that is what it means to be human.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 10:15 pm

DEATH is the final and greatest enemy to be Vanquished!
The enemy of life. The destroyer of worlds. The predator of being.
Death can only be destroyed by a great creative weapon.
The day that death dies is the birthday of new immortal.(*)

-New Prose, dedicated to Wonder.

(*)Ineffable Undefined Unspeakable Almost unthinkable, wordless concept.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 10:46 pm

Post deleted because the same post was published twice.

Last edited by Taupey on 23 Mar 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm

jeffhermy wrote:
I'm on a roll, two topics in one day woo woo!

On a more serious note, Death. Anyone have lived though the emotional drama that is the passing of a family member or friend? Did it make you question your way of life? Scare you? Motivate you? What is your take on the issue of death?

My second husband died of leukemia when he was 42 years old. When we found out he was dying, that seems to be the time we both began searching for the truth of life and death. The end of his life and his death had a huge impact on my life in so many ways. I believe when we die, our life energy transforms and we live on. I'm not afraid to die. I do fear the possibility of being in a great deal of pain and lingering for any length of time in that state.

Quote:
My father passed three years ago from a heart attack, so I questioned my health and eventually came to the conclusion that I can't be reclusive my whole life, I gotta get out, stay healthy and change my outlook on life.

I ask this cause I've only met 2 people who have who are on the spectrum.

it definitely takes time to process it. Death of a loved one is very difficult for anyone. A parent surviving the death of their child, has got to be the worse experience of all.

People should let themselves grieve. And then somehow, move on and live their own lives. A couple of people told me, "You're not the one dying" and "You aren't dead". Which bothered me when I was told this. But later I understood after I thought about it.

You sound like you have the right ideas. No doubt your father would be proud of you. :)

Taupey

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Mar 2010, 11:08 pm

jeffhermy wrote:
Anyone have lived though the emotional drama that is the passing of a family member or friend? Did it make you question your way of life? Scare you? Motivate you? What is your take on the issue of death?

I've lost loved ones.

Of course it's scary. Thoughts of afterlife and grief. There are so few I care about, and their deaths diminish me badly. As should they. Anything else would make me a monster. You can't love someone and not care deeply that they're gone.

Personally my losses have never made me question my way of life. If anything they confirm that my choices and priorities are right for me. Life's too short to live anyone's lives but my own or even bother about it.

The tiger and the lion may be more powerful....

...but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 11:16 pm

My grandfather died a few months ago.

Death confuses me. Because it seems like anyone who once existed still exists, it's just not possible to go back in time to where they still exist. I get the same confusion with things like shopping centers that have been bulldozed and rebuilt totally different. I can't understand why I no longer have access to them.

I don't mean this in a religious way, it's just how it automatically seems to me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2010, 11:49 pm

Time is just another dimension. It's odd that we can only move along it one way.

That doesn't mean it doesn't scare the crop out of me, because it does. More so than just about everyone I've ever met, unless they hide it very well. Entropy freaks me out because... well, chaos freaks me out. And entropy is time is chaos. *shudder*

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 24 Mar 2010, 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 12:49 am

Two years back this month my motherinlaw, swho had lived with us for 15 years or so, died. It had quite an impact, especially on my wife.

Not really to scare us - that was my father when HIS father had the big stroke.

Rather - we both of us feel we have moved into the front row. More aware of the presence of death in our world, more ready to go.